Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone purchase Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
XuperXero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previous owner of my car bought extended warrenty. I say it's worth it, had to replace hatch lift shocks, drivers seat rail, and some other stuff (have all records). I say it can be useful. Would you rather pay $400 one time fee for 7 years to basically have anything fixed or would you rather pay $400 everytime to fix something?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:47 AM
06red350z

Just purchased a 2006 Z with 7 year/70,000 extended on everything in the car..cost me 1600.00 from nissan....I'm more concerned about the electronics inside the car than the engine, trans, etc...After the 3yr bumper to bumper, all those gadgets inside, like, GPS, a/c controls, power seats, windows, could cost a pretty penny to fix if not under warranty...I believe its worth it, and you can always cancel it...
Old 05-19-2006, 05:33 AM
hotspur

When we bought our 2000 Honda Odyssey, we got a 7-year, 100,000 mile warranty--but not from the dealer where we bought the van. Through discussions on the Edmunds forum, we found a Honda dealer in Delaware who sold the warranties at slightly over cost (less than $900 for the Ody, about a 33% discount) and the transaction could have been handled through the mail and over the phone.

Is anyone here aware of a Nissan dealer--it could be anywhere in the US--who offers heavily discounted warranties? It's kind of like the internet sales businesses many dealers have set up to sell cars at low margins to people elsewhere in the country who would not otherwise buy from the dealership.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:01 AM
StraySheep

Do you have to buy the extended warranty from Nissan, do you have to purchase it when the car is brand new from the dealer?

Or can you purchase the Nissan extended warranty anytime before the 3yr original warranty ends?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:21 PM
hotspur

Originally Posted by StraySheep
Do you have to buy the extended warranty from Nissan, do you have to purchase it when the car is brand new from the dealer?

Or can you purchase the Nissan extended warranty anytime before the 3yr original warranty ends?
I believe you can purchase the warranty before the original one ends. And, no, there are other sources for extended warranties, but most people seem to prefer getting it from the manufacturer. Whatever one may think of Nissan's customer sensitivity, they probably would have more interest in making an owner a happy customer than a random warranty company. But I'd be interested in other opinions.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:13 PM
ohw

Buying extended warranty is like buying insurance. You may never need it, and pay the money for nothing. But if one day you do need it, you'll be sure glad to have it.

I had a G1 Talon AWD with a 7-year warranty. Had the transmission replaced 3 times in year 6 and 7. All covered by the warranty. I was happy. For my Z, I also went with the 7-year warranty, mainly because it is a ZR. One problem with the top will pay for itself.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:35 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotspur
Is anyone here aware of a Nissan dealer--it could be anywhere in the US--who offers heavily discounted warranties? It's kind of like the internet sales businesses many dealers have set up to sell cars at low margins to people elsewhere in the country who would not otherwise buy from the dealership.

I have mixed feelings on this topic. There was a thread on this issue a long time ago and there was a Dealership in Kentucky and the guy was selling the extended warranties just over cost. Something like $900 for the best one you could get. If you can get a good deal on one then I guess it could be worth it, but there are a TON of things that are excluded from the Nissan Extended Warranties. I'm also pretty sure that although it says Nissan on the paperwork, it's actually a third party company that does it. Nissan does not offer a "bumper to bumper" warranty that covers everything.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Polo08816
Banned

I feel that the extended warranty is worth it on 03-05 models and as the Z approaches its later years in the model cycle, small problems will be discovered and corrected so as to not need an extended warranty. I think that we really need a warranty for 06+ models after 7 years but not usually before. I feel that after the 7 year mark either you sell the vehicle or possibly reach the point where it may require repairs. At this point, there will probably be substantial aftermarket support that an repairs that are required can be done with aftermarket parts.