Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WaWa Coffee Sloshing Out of my Cup During Spirited Driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 02:52 PM
bfleming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WaWa Coffee Sloshing Out of my Cup During Spirited Driving

I used to stop every morning on the way to work and get a 20 ounce WaWa Coffee to go with a lid. But with my Z and spirited driving, the coffee sloshes out of the cup even when the lid's unopened! I've tried the following fixes:

1. Talked to the dealer - he sent a very nice Nissan cup with a locking lid, but the diameter is to big to fit in the damn holder.

2. I called NNA - they said if you mod the holder we'll void your warranty. We know about tranny grinds but not coffee....

3. I called the plant in Oppama Japan - sympathetic, I think, but no WaWas over there (surprisingly since I always thought it was a Japanese word) to use for test of alternative cup holder designs. Wait for 2004 model.

4. Grounding Kit - hooked the cup holder to grounding kit (20 ft of chain from holder out the hatch to ground). Got a smoother cup holder over 4k rpm.

5. New Strut under Holder - only stabilizes a 100 gallon cup or larger.

6. Tint - dye the inside coffee colored, but it would look turdish.

7. CAI over the cup holder - although the coffee might help wake my Z up in the morning, according to the owners manual, WaWA puts to much methyl alcohol in their coffee.

Anyone got more ideas?????

Seriously, I've enjoyed all the information and enthusiasm and learned a great deal about the Z over the last few weeks from the forums. Thanks everybody.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:58 PM
grayfox

6. Tint - dye the inside coffee colored, but it would look turdish.
/giggle
thanks, i needed that =)

What about some sort of gimbal mounted cup holder, like on a boat? Might check out http://www.liquidcaddy.com/. Kinda tacky looking, but you get the idea. Or maybe somewhere like http://www.westmarine.com/ - if they don't have it, it doesn't exist.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:05 PM
bfleming

Default Sloshing

Yoh, Gray fox,

That's actually a pretty good idea! Should work for lateral movement but, how good do they work in supressing vertical motion??
Old 02-11-2003, 03:09 PM
rep15

I'm thinking a gyroscope..........
Old 02-11-2003, 03:13 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the alignment of the cup holder track. Mine was out of spec and causing a nasty spill even when the cup was empty. Another problem I have is that the liquid level fluctuates and never stays constant. This happens especially when the road noise is high. Some times it even gets "muddy".
Old 02-11-2003, 03:42 PM
bfleming

Default VandyZ

I haven't had problems with the cup holder track alignment, but varying low levels and muddiness seem to be more universal problems.

I'm thinking of adding Redline to the coffee and tranny after 1200 mile breakin, should help with the grinds at least???

Incidentally, Mother, Uncles, Aunts, a Brother and a Sister all Vandy grads - not bad for a yankee!
Old 02-11-2003, 05:51 PM
DriveI65

That was a hilarious post, bfleming! Positively creative.

I read it to my wife and she suggested a positive pressure thermos bottle behind the seat with a tube to the driver with a clamp to control flow. Fill up at the WaWa and pressurize the thermos bottle with the air hose to 5psi. You could get as much as 18 of the 20oz out of the bottle.

I used to carry coffee on my 30 mile drive to work but the stainless cup I have wasn't stable in the dash holder going out the driveway let alone in a turn. I solved this by drinking a cup and scooting to work before the caffine gives out.

This excuse to drive fast works for me and the Z is great at it.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:56 PM
React3

that sucks WaWa is actually a town in Pennsylvania

hence the name wawa
Old 02-11-2003, 07:45 PM
bfleming

Default Morning Coffee??? Need Help

Rep 15's gyro idea won't solve the vertical movement issue, I don't think. Drive I65, I think your wife is on the right track, remember seeing a similar arrangement with beer cans and a hard hat at college football games, of course they didn't have to pressurize the beer. It sounds like a coffee NOS for the driver. React3, I forgot about Wawa PA and I'm sure you are right about the origin of that name. There is a story that Wawa borrowed the store concept from Heritage's, which began here in Woodbury-West Deptford. The Heritage dairy farm is just down the road.

For the time being I'm going to follow DriveI65s model and try to drink it before I leave or switch to juice with a screw on lid and hope I can survive.

Thanks, but we need some more ideas????? How are you handling the morning coffee in the lively Z ???
Old 02-12-2003, 09:38 AM
CZredZ

Default Coffee Spills

You guys are jumping way over the mark!

Freeze the coffee and eat it in chunks.

This summer you are on your own...
Old 02-12-2003, 10:14 AM
jr350

If WaWa coffee was my only option in the morning, I'd simply skip it....no more spilling problems

I have the same problem - I've resorted to drinking half of the coffee before I get into the car. I've been thinking of hanging an IV bag from the rear view mirror and simply mainlining my coffee, but I hate needles!
Old 02-13-2003, 11:22 AM
digerydingo

Did you notice any orange peel on the cup?