Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can you help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:45 PM
MFAnello350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help me out?

hey guys....sorry to ask such a silly question but its been on my mind....and i thought maybe you guys can help a brother out....i own an '04 Z A/T wit intake and exhaust...i was seriously thinking about going F/I wit Turbonetics kit....but if i do it...i will have close to no money left over or saved....question is...i know there are rumors about the future Z coming out in a few years....and more Hp lol and what not...but should i turbo my A/T Z or just wait till the new Z comes out and make that a beast of a car...im only 20 and im still in college....should i wait till i get out of school and do it....or do it while im young? this has been on my mind for a long time...i really dont know what to do...im afriad to spend all my money on this car...and then get a faster/better Z....please help me out....thanks....
Old 06-08-2006, 10:49 PM
aren21

Im only 20 and in college, and I WISH I had the money left over to go FI, but since its my daily driver, I wouldnt. Even IF the next gen Z comes FI, your going to be paying more for it. You could wait for a F/I Z, but what if it never happens? If you have the money, and you really want to do it, then go for it. Its your car and money, good luck, let us know if you go F/I!!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hey i just graduated last month. i'm just now modding my z. imo i would do the FI now if i had the green. by the time the new z car comes out you will be out of school makin money just buy the car then and mod that z out too then all you're cars ill be beasts.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there will always be another better, more powerful, prettier car COMING. You'll spend the rest of your life trying to catch up. If you like your Z, go FI with it and make it to your satisfaction.

edit: but if you don't have any money left over afterwards, I strongly recommend NOT going FI. You'll end up spending a lot more than you think on supporting mods / maintenance / checkups / tuning / etc etc...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:19 PM
MFAnello350

Nitrouz: well what should i do then? Stroker kit? idk....i wana make it nice...i mean i got Volks and stuff...so i can transfer it to the nex car...but i want to make it pretty decent fast...and if i go F/I and its gonna be that much of a hassel...then should i do tons of bolt-ons? or get sumthing different....i mean...im a big guy...6'1'' 235lbs....and i love my sport cars...but my buddy told me i should get a new vette maybe a used one...but i love my Z to death...i just dont want to worry about it...and yes i know...the more Hp the more problems to expect...any opinions??
Old 06-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by MFAnello350
Nitrouz: well what should i do then? Stroker kit? idk....i wana make it nice...i mean i got Volks and stuff...so i can transfer it to the nex car...but i want to make it pretty decent fast...and if i go F/I and its gonna be that much of a hassel...then should i do tons of bolt-ons? or get sumthing different....i mean...im a big guy...6'1'' 235lbs....and i love my sport cars...but my buddy told me i should get a new vette maybe a used one...but i love my Z to death...i just dont want to worry about it...and yes i know...the more Hp the more problems to expect...any opinions??
if you can barely afford to go turbo, stroker kits are definitely out of the question. What's "decently fast" to you? Find someone local with a turbo Z, take a ride in it, and see how you feel. A turbo Z is more than "decently fast" for you, only judging by the way you describe what you want it seems that you are relatively young and new to the "high-hp" crowd. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My suggestion is to drive your Z, maybe with a few bolt-on's (exhaust, intake, plenum, etc), and when you've saved enough to REALLY go FI, hopefully your driving skills would have improved, and you would handle going sideways at 70mph a little better.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:39 PM
MFAnello350

i can afford the turbo kit and install thas it....maintence would take me sumtime to save sum $$ but i drive a CR-V as a daily...so its not like i have a crisis lol....this is my first sports car...and yes im tryin to get a ride in one Turboed Z soon! from a friend i know up north....you are correct about me being new to the High-Hp crowd....but...should i just save for the nex Z or get sumthing faster like a Vette? or just do bolt-ons...thing is...i dont wana "waste" money on bolt-ons if i get sumthing different in a few years...and i dont even know when that will be...ya know? i did Intake and Exhaust...thinking about doin headers,pulleys,test pipes...but i dont think its worth the dough IMO....thats why i need suggestions...im afraid to spend my money in the wrong way...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 PM
onebadfyvo

Originally Posted by nitrouz
there will always be another better, more powerful, prettier car COMING. You'll spend the rest of your life trying to catch up. If you like your Z, go FI with it and make it to your satisfaction.

edit: but if you don't have any money left over afterwards, I strongly recommend NOT going FI. You'll end up spending a lot more than you think on supporting mods / maintenance / checkups / tuning / etc etc...
I couldn't agree more. Too many people are trying to "keep up with the Jones'". So many lose so much money because they feel the need to trade up. No matter what you do, someone else will have one that's better, faster, lighter, prettier and newer. Just do the best with what you have IF you have the means.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

i can afford the turbo kit and install thas it....maintence would take me sumtime to save sum $$ but i drive a CR-V as a daily...so its not like i have a crisis lol....this is my first sports car...and yes im tryin to get a ride in one Turboed Z soon! from a friend i know up north....you are correct about me being new to the High-Hp crowd....but...should i just save for the nex Z or get sumthing faster like a Vette? or just do bolt-ons...thing is...i dont wana "waste" money on bolt-ons if i get sumthing different in a few years...and i dont even know when that will be...ya know? i did Intake and Exhaust...thinking about doin headers,pulleys,test pipes...but i dont think its worth the dough IMO....thats why i need suggestions...im afraid to spend my money in the wrong way...
all the prices are listed on the internet. You can get quotes from any shop. It's YOUR call to see if it's worth the money or not. I don't know what your bank account is like, and I don't know what you're trying to get out of your car.

Anything can be bought if you think it's worth it. Anything can be sold if your price is right. You'll never get back what you spend in modding, even if you just do simple bolt-on's. But is the fun worth the money that goes down the drain? That's your call.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 PM
MFAnello350

onebadfyvo: soo true...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Built2shredZ

Unless your into Street Racing or visit the track often, I see no reason for getting a Turbo besides braggin rights...

I spent over $5k supercharging my 2000 prelude, It was exciting at first, but after few months I was regreating wasting the money, I kept thinking to myself I should of saved it for a nicer car down the road with more HP...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 PM
MFAnello350

thas what my buddy told me...he said why do all this stuff to your Z when you can have a vette with 400hp stock...he said.....its a beauty of a car and fast for stock...which is a good point...but no offense to anyone...American=Junk to me...in my book...but that why i rather keep my Z and make that a hella beast instead....but theres always the "what-if" somehting goes or motor blows etc...
Old 06-09-2006, 12:19 AM
aren21

seems to me you that you really dont want to get rid of the Z, which is what I would do too. You said you have the money (including money for repairs and maintainance), and you have another daily driver, so thats all you need to go FI. You can do every N/A mod available, but it wouldnt give you too much power (from what Ive read here). The risk of blowing the motor is there, but if its tuned good and you dont rape the car, it should be ok. Just take some time to think about it, then decide.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:03 AM
inspector_yoo

It's not always about speed. Don't go out wasting all your money trying to make your car the fastest because there will ALWAYS be a faster car. Even twin turboed cars have difficulty beating zo6s. Remember, they do pretty low 12s (stock). I have many buddies that own zo6s and there are NO cars that you are going to get that are all around faster for the price. If you are just into speed then yea you should probably just get the zo6. But it seems like you really like the 350z so you should stay with that. Personally, I think you should just go with bolt-ons or maybe even a supercharger. I know superchargers aren't that popular but like stillen stage 2 still lets you keep factory warranty, isn't as hard to maintain as a turbo, and is definately a performance booster. Then you can start saving up for a nicer car and by the time you get out of college you will be ready to move on up. You're only young once, so do what you need to do, but don't spend everything you have on it.

Btw, I'm 19 so I know exactly how you feel.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:21 AM
wilric44

hey guys....sorry to ask such a silly question but its been on my mind....and i thought maybe you guys can help a brother out....i own an '04 Z A/T wit intake and exhaust...i was seriously thinking about going F/I wit Turbonetics kit....but if i do it...i will have close to no money left over or saved....question is...i know there are rumors about the future Z coming out in a few years....and more Hp lol and what not...but should i turbo my A/T Z or just wait till the new Z comes out and make that a beast of a car...im only 20 and im still in college....should i wait till i get out of school and do it....or do it while im young? this has been on my mind for a long time...i really dont know what to do...im afriad to spend all my money on this car...and then get a faster/better Z....please help me out....thanks....
Well if your in college and short on money, then I think you have answered the question yourself. Does it make good business since to invest money into a car that will not increase its value, especially when FI cost does not once your outfitted. At 20 you have your life ahead of you. What is worst you will be limted with a 5AT like I am. Enoy your college years and your goal to graduate with honors. Car a luxury not a necessity, especially FI. As someone said there will always be something faster and newer. Who knows 8 to 10 years from FI may not even exist. Just kidding. Save your money or put it into a CD.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:44 AM
lane myers

dont do it. yet. wait till you graduate. you'll be making more money and will be able to afford the nice things you've been waiting for. take the cash you have now, put it in a savings account, and when you graduate, buy a house with a garage to store yourself and z, then mod the car. you're young, have a bit of capital, make it work for you in a savings account/money market, and use it as a down-payment on a house - you'll be money and all the beautiful babies will dig you car and be ready to party at the house.

nick (just gave you good advice)
Old 06-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Prflyer

honestly save the money, your young, been there and the anxiety of getting the next best thing is incredible, anyway your already in a great position!!!! you own a car that very few 20 yr old have and its already niced up! save the money graduate buy a house, make some equity, sell it buy another and with the equity buy whatever car you want that is what I did, and dont regret a minute of it, been through Bimmers, Mercedez, Porsche, Z's. but always had the spare money to travel and go places with the girlfriend/now wife. There will always be time to step up, and your are way up already bro, enjoy what you have and still have the cash!

Have fun
Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 AM
iknowitsfast

not to beat a dead horse, but yeah dont go FI right now. Dood youre in college, concentrate on graduating and finding a well paying job. Then go out and boost the hell outta your ride. Im 28 now and even tho i didnt have anything close to a Z when i was in college 6 years ago, Im glad i just concentrated on school and found a well paying job afterward which now i CAN afford to play as i please. So yeah, wait on the FI bro.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:12 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were in your shoes, I would go for a supercharger. They seem to be a lot less risky compared to turbo setups, especially on a 5at. The vortech kit comes to mind as well as the Stage 2 Stillen Kit.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:04 AM
MFAnello350

its funny....cuz my parents are always saying i should save my money and put it in the bank which i do...but what the hell am i workin for then? besides future,house,cars etc...ya know....my dad dosnt want me to do all of it and then get sumthing different which is a good point but he think i should get the "track racing" stuff outta my system while im young....but i would love to do a turbo setup for car shows and speed...but if they make a TT/faster Z in the future...then what the hell am i gonna do wit the stuff i do now? ya know? i understand what u guys mean by focusing on school...but i have my mind focus on real estate and opening a bussiness...if i can....but we shall see what the future holds...