2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Auto vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Tubbs SF
Charter Member #85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs Manual

Since we are all waiting on our Z's and are bringing up random topics in our Z-daze, here is another one for us to ponder. Due to pressure from the fams, I ordered the touring with an automatic tranny. I love manual cars, but had convinced myself (strike that, I was convinced) that there are benefits to auto that will overide most of the benefits of the manual. For instance, living in the bay area, I deal with ridiculous traffic. Right now my left foot hurts 30 minutes into my commute due to all the shifting. This is not an issue with the auto. Also, the hills of the city are much easier to navigate with the auto. Then again, most of us bought this car for its power, and (this is where I get to my question) I was wondering if any of you car techies could tell me how much I am going to lose accross the power band with this tranny? I am not to concerned off the line, since I am not a pro and chances are I will get a better launch with the auto anyway. I am concerned about the downshifting, and how responsive the Z is going to be. Perhaps the tiptronic transmission will alleviate some of these concerns? Again, this is just a topic posted to keep us thinking about the Z (not that you all need my help to do that) and I am very interested in the opinions of my fellow Zaniacs.

Cheers,
Tubbs
Old 07-08-2002, 09:42 PM
BILZ Z

Default Upshifting & Downshifting

I believe an earlier post from one of our members who rode in the car with an automatic indicated some slight delays in the tranny shifting into gear. I think his words were something like "It is similar to the Maxima SE I've driven in". I also am getting an automatic, not planning on racing and for the most part just want to enjoy the looks and kick it will give me.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:13 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Remember that the WRX when equipped with an automatic loses a LOT of it's 0-60 punch. Why? Simple. Less-advantageous gear ratios. Unfortunately, from what I see, the Z will be subject to the same problems. Six gears gives you the luxury of keeping them tighter, which means you'll have less of a rev band drop when you shift, which keeps the motor in the meat of the power band. It looks like the RPM drop will be pretty significant in the automatic version of the Z.

By no means am I saying this will make it "slow", but I can easily see the automatic trailing the manual's numbers by a significant amount.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:35 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang man, I feel for you. You're going to lose a handful more HP from the slushbox (literally from the slush), so you'll working with 280 or so. And it'll be slower off the line, like nsany said. The good news is the kickdown means you're faster when passing. Too bad there's no semi-auto for the Z.