Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

ALL the differences between models.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 08:32 AM
FuriousGeorge!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb ALL the differences between models.

Hello. I'm a newb, I need to ask a newb question. Just point me to another post if this has been beat to death.

The little nuances is what I'm wondering about.
I've been to nissandriven and cars.com and looked at the features, I want to know if there's more. I read on a post that the track edition doesn't have height adustable seats. Or howabout if the wheel wells flare a little more on the track for the larger wheels. Or if it was confirmed that track supension is stiffer or has stiffer roll bars. Even the trim stuff. Like is there any different badging? If I wanted to upgrade an enthusiast to a track later would there be any problems doing that---except the VDC.

Overall, I want to know if spending the extra bank for the track is a good idea.
Enthusiast is probably the lowest I would go for the Viscous LSD. And I with the extra 8k I could easily take a track on the track But I like the idea of having alot of the stuff that I would never do myself already done on the car ( I would dump that money into the engine otherwise).

Tough decisions-- if you ordered a track, why?
Old 07-09-2002, 09:22 AM
FuriousGeorge!!

Thanks for the quick response.
Well, I figure I could do the Rays of my choice, Bridgestone S-03's, and Brembos for somewhere around 5k. I don't care too much about the rest. I've never been a big fan of yaw and traction control and would most likely leave it off. I was looking for the small stuff.

And yes, I know where the search is. If you could find a similar thread to this let me know and just let this thread fall to the bottom. You never know though, something new might come up. You might gain a fresh perspective on old topics. Just something to think about.

Mod might want to make a FAQ sticky because this question will come up over and over again.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:14 PM
ITZBITZ

I like the wheels, like the brakes. But I'm wondering if they're worth 4500 over the cost of the perf/enth model (can't recall which, but the one with VDC and all that jazz).

Rays TE-37's in 18x8's are $620 each, $640 for 18x8.5

So that's like 2600 bucks right there.

Brembo calipers are about 1200 an end, so another 2400 bucks. But you wouldn't get the upgraded master cylinder perhaps?

That's $5000, so you're getting a slight discount and a warranty on the brakes.

You could get the Ray's cheaper on a group buy and get the model/style you like, as well as maybe an inch wider for more traction.

Just spouting drivel to see what comes out...
Old 07-09-2002, 06:17 PM
2003z

Default I'm getting the Track

but I think the enthusiast is a much better deal, especially if you have any inclination to do mods to your car.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:03 PM
rai

Originally posted by ITZBITZ
I like the wheels, like the brakes. But I'm wondering if they're worth 4500 over the cost of the perf/enth model (can't recall which, but the one with VDC and all that jazz).

Brembo calipers are about 1200 an end, so another 2400 bucks. But you wouldn't get the upgraded master cylinder perhaps?

I'm not sure where you came up with this number is it just your opinion or a ballpark guess or the real deal? Also is that installed??

I think the brake system is better done from the factory and the ABS might be calibrated a little different and als the brake foce distribution. I think it would be foolish to slap a new brake system on when you can get it fully installed from the factory. Also you must factor in the cost of new rubber when you get wider wheels. If you are going to be spending $5-6K on the wheels/brakes and tires it doesn't make any sence to do it your self. If you go to r-esell it it will still be considered the performance model.

My opinion if you can afford it go for the track.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:32 PM
ITZBITZ

I'm just thinking that if they made Brembo's an option on the Enthusiast, that would make sense.

Besides, what do I want to spend $3500 on factory 18" Rays wheels when I can't get crap for tires (Hoosier or Kumho) to put on them. I could care less about the light weight wheels on the street. I want the lighter wheels when I'm on the track (or autocross, but have to use stock wheel widths to stay in stock class, based on the rules, you can run 8" front and 8.5" rear since a model in that year has them available).

And if I want to run 18" front and 17" rear, I could put that $3500 towards the set of track wheels/tires and still have the stock wheels/tires for street use. But I wouldn't have the bigger brakes.

Oh, the dilemma...
Old 07-09-2002, 09:34 PM
ITZBITZ

Of course, I could just sell (for cash and trade) the Rays wheels to somebody who bought the enthusiast model and take their stock wheels/tires and use the money to buy the track setup I need to compete.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:37 PM
ITZBITZ

The real thing is -- both the standard and Brembo brakes will in all likelihood be able to out-brake the tires and that is all that matters. The Brembo brakes will most likely be able to last longer with less fade (longer being 45-50 minutes versus 25-30 minutes) on an open track event, but none of those places usually let you run that long. And normally with high-temperature brake fluid and decent air flow, it's not an issue.

So in reality, the Brembo units may be total overkill for 99% of the folks who get them. But it sure screams performance, doesn't it?
Old 07-10-2002, 05:09 AM
FuriousGeorge!!

I really wish the they had like a clubsport version, a true track car. All the fast stuff on, all the useless weight ripped off. No A/C, no traction control, no radio, no ABS, no PS, no BS, no sound deadening, no vanity mirrors

The Track version ain't that bad, it's just got alot of stuff a true track car doesn't need. Speed means money nowadays I guess.

Installation? what's that? You better know you're brake system in and out if you're really gonna run on the track. I doubt the master cyinder is different between the brake packages. I would actually be surprised if the the clamping force*disk diameter is any different between packages. Prove me wrong though.

Anyways, anybody wanna sell me your track presale, heheh
Old 07-10-2002, 06:00 AM
blackknight

Originally posted by FuriousGeorge!!
I really wish the they had like a clubsport version, a true track car. All the fast stuff on, all the useless weight ripped off. No A/C, no traction control, no radio, no ABS, no PS, no BS, no sound deadening, no vanity mirrors

How many true track cars (as you describe) do you so see mass produced from a manufacturer? BTW, there is absolutely NO WAY I could imagine any car manufacturer selling a vehicle without AC in this day and age.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!
Old 07-10-2002, 06:36 AM
FuriousGeorge!!

Sure, WRX Sti Type RA. They don't sell it here ofcourse.

edit: integra type R, A/C was an option.

Last edited by FuriousGeorge!!; 07-10-2002 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:29 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Originally posted by FuriousGeorge!!

The Track version ain't that bad, it's just got alot of stuff a true track car doesn't need. Speed means money nowadays I guess.

Installation? what's that? You better know you're brake system in and out if you're really gonna run on the track. I doubt the master cyinder is different between the brake packages. I would actually be surprised if the the clamping force*disk diameter is any different between packages. Prove me wrong though.

Anyways, anybody wanna sell me your track presale, heheh
Mechanicaly inclined? if yes strip the car down and sell the parts on ebay some one will buy it (i would wait till there are a good number of them out there and there were reasons for people to buy the pats)
Old 07-10-2002, 10:31 AM
FuriousGeorge!!

I've done it in two cars now. Weight reduction is as fun if not funner than puttin' crap on. It was like running a junkyard for a while. I didn't even wanna sell the stuff but I would tell people what I did and they just wanted it. It gets old after a while, though.

Back to the original question. I bet you'll find some quirky differences between models. They just won't pop up till you start doing stuff to them. cheers