Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Royal Purple ? Questioni ~

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
zzz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Mobil 1 and have been totally dissatified with the amount of oil blowing out the tailpipe (dino oil never really burned off previously). I have heard that is common with Mobil 1 and not a problem with RP. BTW, I found a dealer on ebay that sold me a case of 5W30 for 49.99 plus 24 shipping, couldn't pass up that deal. Haven't switched to RP yet however.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:49 PM
mikead_99

Originally Posted by 97supratt
How about price? Royal purple is around 6.00-7.00, redline is around 10.00-11.00/ quart. I just think redline is packaged better and more of a unique oil compared to royal purple. But then again, I still want to wait 2500 miles and check my catch can for the redline residue.
Price, well, I could spend more on a Boxter vs a Z but, you know.

lol, I know I've quoted and addressed two of your posts directly, don't get me wrong, I'm not picking on you. You just happened to make a few subjective arguments for Redline vs RP and I like to dig through this stuff. It sounds like you do too. I'll be keeping an eye out for your post in 2500 miles to see what you find. I guess you have used RP and found residue in the can? Like a lot of us here I just want to put the best product in our cars, within reason, and I would jump to any brand if I had a concrete reason to do so. I skipped Mobile1 and went to RP because of the well documented "disappearing oil" issue and Mobile1. I haven't had any issues with Castrol GTX dino initially, or RP, but if you show me Redline works better I'd switch in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd love to see a comprehensive test with Redline, RP, Amsoil, and Motul. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them, but it would be nice to see them ranked based on thorough analysis.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:54 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped using Mobil 1 full synthetic after burning over 1 quart of oil in 3000 miles. This is a common issue with Mobil 1, just do a search and you will see. The Royal Purple is burning around 1/2 quart per oil change. I'm considering using a synthetic blend like Castrol next time.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Blayzed

I just changed my oil today, switched from mobil 1 to RP 10w-30 synthetic for the first time.
Price was about 7.00 per Quart.
Also switched from the standard Nissan Filter to K&N.
I've noticed my idle oil pressure is a little lower than before.
Ill post if I notice any significant difference between the two.
I have about 33k miles on my 03 and have run mobil 1 probably since around the 10k mark.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 AM
andonni

wow .. seem like RP isnt bad at all ... i have 10w30 and trann/diff all RP
Old 06-29-2006, 08:38 AM
zzz350

I switched to RP in the diff and tranny a few months ago, seems to be much smoother shifts, especially going into second gear (both up and down shifts).

Will be going to RP motor oil at my next oil change.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Gering

Originally Posted by andonni
what kind royal purple engine oil are you using ..
High Performance Racing or Multi-grade motor oil ?
( racing 21 ? ) or just regular 10w-30?

what's the different after you change ?

I went to shop for oil change, i brought my own, but when they were going to add into the engine, they asked me " this is not fully synethetic, are you sure you want to use it" ... but i ended up using the royal purple multi-grade motor oil 10w-30 ..

Is it fully synthetic? cause on the bottle, just show " with synertec" and synthetic oil..

thanks

I use Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5W30. I also use Militec which can be found at http://www.militec-1.com/ for about two years. I use it in my engine, trans, steering, and diff. If you guys have not tried it, please do. You can feel the difference!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:49 AM
G.Ride

Originally Posted by DeeZ
RP is good, i havent heard good things about their normal oil because it brakes down faster but their racing oils are good.

i used their racing oil in my other car with no problem, it had added stuff to protec the engine under hard use.
breaks down very fast! Depending on the driver, youre lucky if you get 1500 miles out of it.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:58 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup it does break down. Especially for me because I put a lot of miles on my car, very quickly. My Z see's midrange rpm's throughout the whole day with a few 120+mph sprints a month.

I don't know about you guys, but I drive this car in "Extreme conditions", so I need oil to keep up.

BTW Mikead, I didn't take anything offensively. I have my opinions and you certainly have yours. I'm not dissing or badmouthing any brands here, just trying to find the best oil with the best protection, performance, and reliability for our cars.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:13 AM
usmanasif

I have been doing a lot of research on oil in the past week, on forums as well as so-called "research articles". My plan was to switch to RP at the next oil change (2,200 on odo so far) but it turns out that just like Mobil1, even RP is not truly synthetic, i.e. even they use a petroleum base for their synthetic oils so it will break down under stress. The only three I have found to be true synthetics are:

Motul
Amsoil
Elf

I know, Elf? I had never heard of that one myself either. Turns out, they are a French company that has just started marketing to North America this year; in Europe and Asia, they have been well-established for decades and have very active on the F1 circuit. One search turned up this news item on their Australian site:

http://www.elfoil.com.au/news/articl...aredGoals.aspx

It says that Elf recently developed a special low-SAPS oil for Nissan and has been shipping it to Nissan/Renault factories since last April. So could the '05.5 and '06 Z's have that from factory? Hmm...

Here's another article of their partership with Nissan in Germany:

http://www.elfoil.com.au/news/articl...ngBridges.aspx

Well, I emailed their Australian office asking about NA distribution yesterday. They routed it to their Asia Pacific offices in Singapore who sent it to the US office. This morning, I got a personal email from their Marketing Manager for the automotive division, Herb Kaemmer. I replied with Z's info and this is an excerpt from what he just wrote back:

Thank you for your kind comments. I hope we will be of service to you well into the future.

The Nissan 350Z uses Elf Excellium SXR 5W-30. If you occasionally push the car at a race track or drive it very hard, I think the Z will do better with Excellium LDX 5W-40. Attached are information sheets on both products.

BTW, Excellium is their synthetic line for non-Formula 1 automotive engines.

He also sent me info on their Colorado distributor. Such incredible customer service combined with everything I have been reading about them, I guess my choice is clear

Last edited by usmanasif; 07-13-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:20 PM
masterj26

Originally Posted by 97supratt
How about price? Royal purple is around 6.00-7.00, redline is around 10.00-11.00/ quart. I just think redline is packaged better and more of a unique oil compared to royal purple. But then again, I still want to wait 2500 miles and check my catch can for the redline residue.

any updates?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:50 PM
gabez33

I use 10w30 rp and it works great...allot smoother...with a k&n filter...its awesome oil...go to thier website and read up on the comparison...there even better than amsoil,..in independent testings....its not like your gonna feel a power increase by switching to this oil, but its the best protection and film viscosity hands down...
Old 08-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

been using RP in my engine/tranny and diff since getting the car NA and now built with TT and I have had ZERO problems with it. No oil consumption what so ever, great idling/shifting and performance. Great products. I use it in all my cars
Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 AM
davidf

Originally Posted by andonni
i did notice a different.. just the sound of my exhaust ... less back-fire sound ..
Trust me that has absolutely nothing to do with oil.