Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Interested in a National 350Z meet???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:02 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Interested in a National 350Z meet???

There seems to be a lot of local 350Z meets going on around the country (I've organized a few small ones here in western NC myself ).

Just wondering if anyone is interested in a national 350Z meet?

Just think how many 350Zs we could line up in one spot!
Not since the pictures of deliveries at the docks would so many 350Zs be in one spot at one time...

It would be great if a location could be picked that is accessible to most over a holiday weekend (July 4th or Labor Day maybe???). I know its tough to string together multiple vacation days for a car event, but if an event was organized over a holiday weekend, a single vacation day creates a four day weekend. Bonus if the location is close to a race track or drag strip!

The reason I bring this up now is if a few people begin working on an event now, we may be able to get some aftermarket vendors involved, too. Hell, if there's enough interest maybe we can get Nissan involved.

Any ideas for a good location in the central US for such a thing? Someplace with lots of parking and adequate hotel coverage would be good. If formally organized, we can probably even find some group rates.

I'm by no means volunteering to organize such an event entirely, but I would be happy to start collecting email addresses for a mailing list and maybe even contact some aftermarket vendors to see if there is some interest.

Let's start here... if you are interested in some type of national meet for later this year (summer/early fall) and would like to be on the email list, contact me by email at mcduck@earthlink.net

Also, please post your thoughts and ideas here. I'll be out of town a lot the next three weeks and may be able to get to this sight easier than check my email. It also may generate some ideas from others.

If there is enough interest (based on emails I received for the list), I'll start an informal newletter.

Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2003, 03:55 PM
regis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't there a national z thing going on this fall in new hampshire?
Old 02-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Monkey Man

I would be interested in meeting some folks from the board. I think I will be taking my car to the meet in New England.

-Jeremy
Old 02-21-2003, 05:16 PM
z2thdr

The International Z Car Convention is Oct. 6-10 in Nashua, NH. They will have a Z car show with a special category for the 350, rallyes and a track day. Sounds like fun!

http://www.zccne.addr.com/Convention_2003/info.htm
Old 02-21-2003, 10:08 PM
mcduck

Hmm... New Hampshire isn't really central for everyone. I think we'd have more 350Zs if we had it somewhere in the midwest.

Also, nothing against the other types of Zs, but I was thinking of this as more of a 350Z event instead of a Z event.

Whatever floats your boat, though...
Old 02-21-2003, 10:32 PM
futuredeadguy

Originally posted by mcduck
Hmm... New Hampshire isn't really central for everyone. I think we'd have more 350Zs if we had it somewhere in the midwest.

Also, nothing against the other types of Zs, but I was thinking of this as more of a 350Z event instead of a Z event.

Whatever floats your boat, though...
What DOES NOT float my boat is folks who are trying to break up the momentum of the Z movement by having separate 350 meets that exclude earlier Zs and the history of the Z. By doing so, you are thumbing your nose at Mr K, the father of the Z, and all the other THOUSANDS of Z Car enthusiasts who have helped make the marque what it is. Without them, there would be no 350z.

I realize you're not TRYING to pick on owners of older Zs, but you are. What you don't realize is that a HUGE percentage of 350 owners also own, or have owned, the classics.

The member clubs of the ZCCA do a ton of work to keep the Z movement going. There were a lot of lean years between 1996 and 2002 when there was no Z in production - and little hope that there ever would be another Z. The demands of the fans of the older Zs were instrumental in the decision by Nissan that there would another Z. Next time you meet one of the folks from an established Z Club, a polite 'Thank You' would be in order, especially if the 350 is your first Z.

If New Hampshire is not central enough for you, you are the one who loses. At the 2000 Convention in Las Vegas, 20 Plus Z enthusiasts had their 'old' Z's shipped to the US from Japan! (then shipped back - they were without their cars for over a month!) There was also a huge contingent who flew over from England. I attended, myself. At the time, I was living in Wilmington, NC - not a quick trip. That's what dedication to a car can do for the brand. That's the dedication that made the 350z a reality.

Shame on anyone who would try to segregate that energy. It's disrespectful and counterproductive. If you can think of any positives, I'd like to hear them.

DEAD

PS: Check for a ZCCA Club near you on the lower scroll bar at http://www.zcca.org

Last edited by futuredeadguy; 02-21-2003 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:30 AM
Chris S

I think Austin would be a perfect location for a national meet! Relatively central location, GREAT roads everywhere, beautiful scenery, live music cap. of the world, and no shortage of other night life....what more could you want?

The S2000 national meet is in Austin this year!
Old 02-22-2003, 08:56 AM
mcduck

I'm not "thumbing my nose" at anyone... least of all Mr. K. Nor did I say that other Z cars would not be allowed...

You clearly have misinterpreted my statement. I said that I was thinking of this as more of a 350Z event. That is, it would be billed as a 350Z meet. I would like for there to be earlier model Zs. Also, if there is a track or strip nearby, I wouldn't mind seeing a few S2000, BMW M3, and other cars stop buy for some match races. In fact, if advertised correctly, I think you could hardly keep earlier Zs from showing up!

None of this changes the fact that New Hampshire is not local to everyone... in fact it is local to very few. Having participated in many Muscle car meets in the past (particularly Pontiac-Oakland club meets and MoparNational meets), I can tell you now with 100% certainty that the mix of people and overall attendance of a car meet does change based on location.

There are the select few, diehard fans that will drive anywhere for the show and the vendors that will show up anywhere because they are trying to make some sales. Most other people have other constraints in their life that do not permit them to drive across the country for a meet on the opposite coast (time and money come to mind). I seriously doubt the New Hampshire show will have heavy representation from the west coast because most people can't afford to take a week or more vacation to attend a car show (at least a 3-day drive one way)

For me, it is just about as far to drive to NH as it would be to drive to a central US location, but I'd rather do the later because I think I would see and meet far more Z owners.

By ruling out a second national meet (targeted towards 350Z owners, but not excluding other Z owners), I say you are the one missing out because you would have the opportunity to attend two events if you are already committed to the ZCCA event.

For everyone that can't do a cross country trip, this would offer an doable alternative.

Have fun in New Hampshire!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:00 AM
FrankieZZ

Default Here's a positive for you

I also agree with McDuck and I am a relatively new member of the ZCCNE , live in NH and am also trying to establish a New England 350z Club . Yes , if the majority of the future members want to be aligned with a national group, fine .I would whole heartedly support that . As a long time car club member, director ,convention/board member , and club officer I am well aware of the many benefits of such a connection . Admitedly I am a recent member of your marque , buying a 350z (great car by the way ), but I belong to every major club-20 year member Alfa Romeo , BMW , Mercedes Benz , Touring Club ,Z Club , North Shore Old Car Club etc .If you can organize a new group of very enthusiastic , willing to volunteer type of member , how does that hurt the Z marque ? Did you ever consider the fact that some people feel that a new club that focuses on one specific model just may be better than some of the nearly dead clubs that are out there claiming to love all models of a certain marque with hardly any active members ? I'll say it again , if this New England group feels they would like to join an existing club fine ( which I advocate) , if not that is fine, also . At least you would have a club with a fresh outlook that would only help to serve the promulgation of the marque . And anyway , what would you rather have , future drop out members of an existing Z Club or active members who promote the 350Z ? Many marques have clubs within them that are dedicated to a specific model .There is no reason why that shouldn't happen in the Z club as well ( perhaps they simply wanted to emphasize their model ,while still being fanatically dedicated to the Z marque . They would probably be more active ( you sound like you already know , as myself , how most clubs are supported by and run by a handful of members ) . There really is room for everyone , and that's a positive !

PS I would belong to both groups if a New England 350z Club decided to be independent .Within the Ferrari and Alfa Romeo clubs for example , there are several clubs that are dedicated to a specific Ferrari or Alfa Romeo or Mercedes model and they also belong to the national club and are very dedicated members of both ! )

FrankieZZ
Silverstone 6M
Hampton Beach , NH
ZCCNE