Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

StopTech BBK saved me this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006 | 10:48 AM
VO...
Administrator

Default StopTech BBK saved me this weekend...

Thought I's share a story with you guys. Some of you guys have seen pictures of my car, but for those that haven't I have 4-pot 14 inch drilled front brakes on the Z. I rarely take it out because I usually reserve it for show. This weekend I decided to take her out to a family BBQ. The route to my father's home is via Beltway 8. The Beltway is a super highway that circles the outter most part of Houston. You must pay to ride the Beltway, but it's worth it. The majority of the time there's light traffic and it offers a smooth bumpless ride.
Being early in the morning with light traffic I decided to open her up alittle. I got her up to 100mph and cruised smoothly. That's when it happened. I came around a blind corner. The Z is lowered, so it's difficult to see over concrete barriers on the highway also. At the other end of the corner, all traffic stopped to a stand still due to lane closures. Luckily I didn't panic. Instead, natural reaction was to immediately check my speed, down shift, & hit the brakes. ABS kicked in after a second, as I could feel the pulses in the brake pedal. I wasn't sure if the car was gonna stop or not. All I could think about was, "are the brakes going to heat up and give?" Then the realization that I had a BBK kicked in. The 4-pot StopTechs performed beautifully. The Z came to a hault extremely fast with no skidding or brake fatigue.

-VO, one satisfied customer-
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:52 AM
davidf

Intrested in pics. of your car. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:57 AM
diwun67

Did you get dizzy? Sometimes braking hard like that makes me dizzy for some reason lolz
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:58 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by diwun67
Did you get dizzy? Sometimes braking hard like that makes me dizzy for some reason lolz
My forehead had a "Z" imprint from the steering wheel.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:00 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by davidf
Intrested in pics. of your car. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails StopTech BBK saved me this weekend...-e1.jpg  
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:08 AM
plumpzz

i get really dizzy if i slam the brakes then hit the gas right after. it really eff's me up. i like it.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:14 AM
davidf

Very nice.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:18 AM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by vo7848
At the other end of the corner, all traffic stopped to a stand still due to lane closures. Luckily I didn't panic. Instead, natural reaction was to immediately check my speed, down shift, & hit the brakes. ABS kicked in after a second, as I could feel the pulses in the brake pedal. I wasn't sure if the car was gonna stop or not. All I could think about was, "are the brakes going to heat up and give?" Then the realization that I had a BBK kicked in. The 4-pot StopTechs performed beautifully. The Z came to a hault extremely fast with no skidding or brake fatigue.

-VO, one satisfied customer-
I smell B.S.
If you had to stop the car so fast:
1)Why you even have time to check your speed (take at least 1 second)
2)Down shift (2 second at least)

Shouldn't you slam on the brake right away? You know what distance you would travel in 3 seconds at 100 mph?

"No skidding": it's not the BBK that causes skidding. It's ur tires and ABS.
"Brake fatigue": you were not even repeatedly using the brake on ur car. How did the brake even get fatique?
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:22 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by VN_350z
I smell B.S.
If you had to stop the car so fast:
1)Why you even have time to check your speed (take at least 1 second)
2)Down shift (2 second at least)

Shouldn't you slam on the brake right away? You know what distance you would travel in 3 seconds at 100 mph?

"No skidding": it's not the BBK that causes skidding. It's ur tires and ABS.
"Brake fatigue": you were not even repeatedly using the brake on ur car. How did the brake even get fatique?
It's about the best I can recap everything. The story is not meant to be taken verbatim and disected for detailed accuracy.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:25 AM
diwun67

He was probably already braking when he checked his speed and downshifted....that's what I would've done.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:29 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-
Premier Member

1. Beltway 8 is not a super highway (as in Europe). There is a speed limit there.
2. After spending $2K +, you should have that "happy feeling".
3. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't hurt anyone else for going 100mph+ on that 2 lanes beltway.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:31 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by diwun67
He was probably already braking when he checked his speed and downshifted....that's what I would've done.
+1. You could say it was a natural reflex to hit the brakes and check speed to see what gear I could downshift into safely. I went into 4th but probably could've hit 3rd by the time I reacted with the shifter, mainly because the car had more than likely dropped below 80mph already. Either way, 4th or 3rd is still better than 6th.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:33 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bubble
1. Beltway 8 is not a super highway (as in Europe). There is a speed limit there.
2. After spending $2K +, you should have that "happy feeling".
3. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't hurt anyone else for going 100mph+ on that 2 lanes beltway.
+1 on the European highways. The belt way is 4 lanes each way.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:41 AM
CFaddict350z
Banned

I dont understand why some people on here doubt a story?? wtf? that pisses me off about this forum,, dude, his car has some sick brakes, the car stopped hardcore and nobody was hurt,, who gives a **** on the exact timing of all the reactions,,, jesus just appreciate the bump for the sick *** brakes!
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:52 AM
1nate7

I don't doubt his story, but reality is the stock brakes perform just as well for 1 hard panic stop. The advantage of the BBK is heat dissipation for repeated hard stops from high speed. I am glad the brakes performed as advertised and no damage was done.
Old 07-17-2006 | 11:56 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-
Premier Member

Originally Posted by CFaddict350z
I dont understand why some people on here doubt a story?? wtf? that pisses me off about this forum,, dude, his car has some sick brakes, the car stopped hardcore and nobody was hurt,, who gives a **** on the exact timing of all the reactions,,, jesus just appreciate the bump for the sick *** brakes!
OEM brake would give out pretty much the same result in his situation. I guess he is just so excited about. I would be the same if i spend 2K+ on the damn BBK. lolz
Old 07-17-2006 | 12:07 PM
Miko

Is the advantage of a BBK that there is less "break fatigue"? Like using OEM constantly such as at a track, you'll end up feeling loss in braking power...
Nonetheless, the BBK you have is bad *** & sweet looking!! That is what should've came instead of the Brembo's!
Old 07-17-2006 | 12:12 PM
Built2shredZ

Thats the kit I want to get for my Z but at all four corners (mainly for looks since I don't race my roadster)... Just trying to part with the $4k thats hard

Probably do it sometime in Sept. as my Z is pretty much just sitting in the garage right now because its to damn hot to drive it.. was 118 here yesterday
Old 07-17-2006 | 12:15 PM
VO...
Administrator

Thanks for the comments guys. Bubble hit the nail on the head when he described it as being an excited feeling I wanted to share. The OEM brakes would have been enough to stop the vehicle in one emergency application. This is true. I'd have to admit though, it feels good knowing that the product worked well under pressure considering I did the install without making any vital mistakes.

Quick Reply: StopTech BBK saved me this weekend...