Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

nail in tire...again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
IronMedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nail in tire...again?

well guys a couple of months ago, i had to replace my rear right tire from a nail driven through it and made it go flat. it went flat on me as i drove away and didnt know. 3 months later, i pick up another nail in my rear left tire. luckily it was fixed. i caught the air leak early enough and it was slow. i was trying to decide if i have a hater in my apartment complex and putting nails under my tires or something. there is no construction anywhere around here right now. i either have a hater around here planting nails near my tires or it is just a coincidence i find them nearby. anyone ever have people mess with your tires on your Z?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who knows... I try to keep assumptions to a minimum. Catch someone in the act and then you will have a good reason to beat someon down (if that's your style).

Me and my Z have had nothing but bad experiences with apartments. Someone set off a whole strand of firecrackers right next to my car once. When I went to go check there were pieces of exploded firecrackers on the car. Then some highschool punk kid dinged my door on purpose. There was plenty of room. I guess he was just jealous. I actually heard the thud and was going to go check but decided not to. I also had this guy stand there and let his leashed dog **** all over my car. I was parked off in the corner (because of the door ding) so there was no reason for anyone to be near the car. I was pretty drunk tho and could see very well so I figured he wasn't up to anything. The next morning the car had been pissed all over.

As far as I'm concerned, it's official, apartment complexes suck in general. My girlfriend needs to move somewhere else, or I need a new girlfriend, lol.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shat happens. I had 5 nails in my suv tire. yeah.. maybe somebody hates me but there was never a flat.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Ztalker

i've had my share of suspicious nails through out the years, luckily i was able to repair and salvage the punctured tires most of the time (not all the time though). A flat tire sometimes gave me an excuse to buy new tires...lol.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Nucleus

I was parked in front of someone eles house cause the my friend was having a party. This house I was parked at was also having a family party with kids. The whole street had cars parked front to back both sides. Anyway I was leaving the party and I noticed the kids and parents were playing baseball in the front yard with a rubber or sometype of ball. I couldnt believe these idoits would play ball like that around these cars. I was so pissed. My car was in the worst spot. Line drive from the batter. They had players in the street around the cars catching the *****. I didnt want to make a scene so I drove away. The next day I found 3 ball marks on my drivers side from a ball. A holes
Old 07-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Ztalker

some people have absolutely no regard and consideration for other people's properties.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:40 PM
IronMedic

yeah the first flat just drove me nuts. i had the car 1 week and got a flat. i just got done putting cash down for my down payment and didnt have cash to get a tire. i had to use my firestone card to order a michelin tire as a replacement.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:25 AM
UltraYellow350z

@IronMedic

Sorry about being a noob about this subject, but I thought the TPS was designed to tell you when you start loosing pressure? So when your first tire was loosing pressure the TPS didn't warn you or anything?

I guess I should start checking for nails regularly then.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Malic350

Originally Posted by UltraYellow350z
@IronMedic

Sorry about being a noob about this subject, but I thought the TPS was designed to tell you when you start loosing pressure? So when your first tire was loosing pressure the TPS didn't warn you or anything?

I guess I should start checking for nails regularly then.

Well you have to drive the car for a sec and then it kicks in. I have currently have a nail in my Right Rear Tire and it is just at the sidewall (beyond a patch). When i got in my car I drove for a sec then it beeped and the PSI light was blinking like crazy. I have to keep puttin air in it as the leak is really slow (about 3psi per 8 hrs). I really need it fixed but waiting till thursday to put new tires on with my new wheels.

Funny though, i make certain that the nail is not on the bottom of the wheel when I park and one morning it was all the way down to 9 PSI ??!!?? Again it usually as of the week i have been driving it would lose about 3-4 PSI in 8 hours. Think someone is jackin around? The G35 that parks next to me looks to have the same problem but it is his rear left and he/she parks on my left. I would have a chat to see if he has the same problem but I never see the guy/girl to know which unit they live in.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:43 AM
NewJerZ

Don't feel so bad...Back in '94 , I bought a '93 Toyota MR2 and the day AFTER I bought the car, I was driving down my street and had 3 out of 4 tires (Expensive Yokohama OEM Performance Tires) flattened by these super long carpenter nails....Some moron contractor must have spilled them on the road.

Damn...I was pissed as *****! Each tire was about $150 or so each...
Old 07-18-2006, 05:47 AM
NewJerZ

Originally Posted by Malic350
Well you have to drive the car for a sec and then it kicks in. I have currently have a nail in my Right Rear Tire and it is just at the sidewall (beyond a patch). When i got in my car I drove for a sec then it beeped and the PSI light was blinking like crazy. I have to keep puttin air in it as the leak is really slow (about 3psi per 8 hrs). I really need it fixed but waiting till thursday to put new tires on with my new wheels.

Funny though, i make certain that the nail is not on the bottom of the wheel when I park and one morning it was all the way down to 9 PSI ??!!?? Again it usually as of the week i have been driving it would lose about 3-4 PSI in 8 hours. Think someone is jackin around? The G35 that parks next to me looks to have the same problem but it is his rear left and he/she parks on my left. I would have a chat to see if he has the same problem but I never see the guy/girl to know which unit they live in.

Be careful, dude....I always thought that sidewall puntures were supposed to dealt with ASAP.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Malic350

Originally Posted by NewJerZ
Be careful, dude....I always thought that sidewall puntures were supposed to dealt with ASAP.

Ahhh damn... uh-oh. It's right at the top of the tire and Discount tire said it was too close to the sidewall. They said i could drive it till i got my new wheels this thursday but I have been really careful I guess I could stop being lazy and put the spare on ? Whatcha think ?

They tried to have me order 2 new Bridgestone Potenzas on for the rear but at $275 a pop + and I am getting new tires this Thursday I was like um - nope! Then he said I would need new ones anyway I look at both of em and they have all the tread in the world left though the right one is unservicable.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 AM
IronMedic

it took them 5 days to get my michelin pilot sport replacement tire because i refused to get potenza's on my car. no one had one around here. i guess this tire is a stock tire on the grand touring package cars.
when i had my first flat, i didnt know it was flat. it was on the right rear and so i never looked there. i drove off and noticed for a moment that my car was sluggish driving away. then the tpms went off and i realized it was flat. it was too late and the sidewall was trashed.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:09 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Nucleus
Line drive from the batter.[/COLOR] They had players in the street around the cars catching the *****. I didnt want to make a scene so I drove away. The next day I found 3 ball marks on my drivers side from a ball. A holes
I've seen people do this at the park during Easter. Dad's playing baseball with their son's only a few feet from parked cars. People playing softball next to parking lots. I usually have to find far away parking for these situations and hike it over to the picnic ground. It's funny how resonable people have to pay the price for ignorant people.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:11 AM
IronMedic

it seems to me no one is allowed to own nice stuff in the world. i just saw for the first time an astin martin dB7 here in my town. i wonder what people do to his car in public when he parks? hopefully he does not pick up a nail or 2. LOL!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Malic350

Originally Posted by NewJerZ
The tire was fixed!!! My friend said it didn't hit the sidewall so I was lucky! Patched it up and now - They see me rollin...
Old 07-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Malic350

Originally Posted by IronMedic
it seems to me no one is allowed to own nice stuff in the world. i just saw for the first time an astin martin dB7 here in my town. i wonder what people do to his car in public when he parks? hopefully he does not pick up a nail or 2. LOL!
LOL - well if he can afford that he probably won't be hit as hard as you and I. Nails are an expensive problem.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
ZBigDog

Na and I live in an apartment but would consider my z the nicest out of all cars, aprox 64 apartments, so not too big. luckily theres 2 01-02 Porshce Boxsters that by their very nature demand more attention, so I got that goin for me, which is nice.

i hit something god aweful going 70 on the highway at 7:30 am on monday on the way to work, tps immediately lets me know theres a puncture so i exit and check it out at the light, seems it had pressure so i rolled the last mile to work and changed the tire in the parking lot. wish i could post the pick from my camera phone cuz the chunk out my potenza was horid looking, you could grab it and peel it back like 3 inches. so since all my potenzas only have like 6k miles on em as i bought the car just 5 months ago, i had to buy another potenza, cost me $260 otd cuz some rednceck couldnt secure his big piece of metal and it fell off on I-4.

I've had nails before but all were either plugged or patched, this was the first time in 9 years of driving i've ever had to replace a tire, so i easily declined on the warranty.