Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I mean really Nissan, it's time.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Mr_Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I mean really Nissan, it's time.

Come on, we shouldn't even have to have posts about fearing SRT4s (neon and now caliber), STIs, EVOS, Boxsters, and about every upcoming mid sized sedan out there when it comes to stop light races! This is INSANE!

NISSAN, BOLT ON AN EFF'N TURBO ALREADY!! The Z's history is full of stock provided FI cars.

And all these sissies saying, "Oh, that's what killed the Z before" SHUT IT.

We do not live in the 90s. Americans are spending more money on cars than ever before. BMWs, Mercs, and Audi's are flying off the lots (this trend has been going strong since the LATE 90s actually). Even the DOMESTICS have realized there is money here. GM has a tuner divisiom, BMW, Merc, DC has one, FORD EVEN HAS ONE and all have been making money on these niche vehicles for some time.

You simply build more current 350zs like you do now but then release a small production run, maybe 5000-7000 vehicles, that are REAL NISMO tuned cars. FI, suspension, brakes, seats, tires, etc.

You whack people $40,000 or more for it and of course dealers mark them up $5,000 to $10,000 and guess what? YOU SELL EVERY ONE OF THEM!

Christ, grow some ***** Nissan.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:53 PM
slam

I understand what you're saying but if this "REAL NISMO" tuned Z cost $50k+ is it really worth it? When you could just buy a base '06 Z for $27k and dump $25k worth of mods on it and you'll have something meaner than any factory Nismo tuned Z...and you wont be running scared from any SRT4's, EVO's, or STI's either.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Blue_Streek

dude ive seen new ZRs come off the lot for $40k. with FI the car will def be up into the $50-$60k range. plus the Z is more of a flagship coupe, not a specialized version of a different car already offered up. the sales figures prove it. there was roughly 27k Zs sold last year alone. compared to an EVO, STi, SRT-4, thats nearly 2-3 times those cars sale numbers.

tommy
Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 PM
slam

I wouldn't mind a Nismo-tuned NA 350whp, 2,800lb Z similiar to the concept Nimso 350Z in the new issue of Super Street (although the concept doesn't weight just 2,800lbs)
Old 07-31-2006, 11:18 PM
krismax

cost is the reason look at those other cars you mentioned the chassis is already there from a base car. and look at what they cost . whats a EVO MR 37K and from reading SCC when they tore down a srt 4 engine they found the engine to be filled with cheap *** parts like cast iron rods.

please nissan DONT change the z like the thread starter wants keep the car base in the 20's do what you can weight and HP wise .

I think nissan is doing spot on with the z, iam looking to buy my z when the 07's come out and for me 7500 rpm with over 300hp twin TB's 6 speed in a sexy car like this for under 30k why would you change that?

If you want 500 HP throw a TT kit on and run 11's and youll get what you want. i think worring about other cars beating you is a huge waste of time.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:12 AM
bobS

Just add a turbo or supercharger...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:39 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmmm…What got this all started?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:30 AM
zero0 2 sixty

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/350z_gt-s.asp
why dont they put this in production?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:35 AM
freefallin

50 Grand for a Z? I'd rather have a Corvette. And I think many of the population would agree. Perhaps Nissan has actually done their market research and realized this. Don't you think a multi-billion dollar company puts a little money behind consumer market knowledge? They find out what the "average" consumer wants and gives it to them. Then they offer Nismo parts for the people who want a little more. And those that want a lot more...there's always after market stuff.

I don't think it's in Nissan's best interest to make every Z a 40 or 50 thousand dollar car. I think they would lose too many customers...and I'm one of them. I'm sure there are many more on this board that would have bought a different car is the Z was that expensive.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:45 AM
zero0 2 sixty

why cant they just have FI model thats higher than the grand touring...you could still get a base or if you have the $$ you can get the fastest 1
Old 08-01-2006, 08:58 AM
mistermojorizin

what we need is like a japanese version of the corvette. i love the style, performance and price, hate the american build quality and unreliability.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Mr_Q

Yeah, most the people freaking out on this thread don't seem to realize the current, nearly perfect Z, would continue on. It will also still be the price leader and seller.

And for those saying just bolt on the crap yourself. One only has to browse the very FI section of this forum to see the hell that can happen in that. And even those who have had them professionally installed still have, "little things you need to learn to live with". SCREW THAT!

We all know the pleasure and reliability you get with factory tuned, tweaked and warrantied boost gives you. No rattles, no squeaks, no leaks, no "just learn to live with it".

Let's see a list of other manufactures cars who seem not to fear having high priced performance versions of the "common man version" of their cars. I'm talking not just trim levels, but true performance modded upgrade versions.

Audi A4: S4, RS4 (hey they have two levels of hotness!)
BMW 3-Series: M3, M3 Competition Package (two there too!)
SLK: SLK AMG (and I won't even count RennTech or Dinan)
WRX: WRX STI
EVO: EVO MR
Mustang GT: Mustang Cobra (formerly SVT)
Caliber: Caliber SRT4 (new neon basically)
Charger: Charger R/T, Charger SRT (two again!)
300c: 300c HEMI, 300c SRT (clones still count!)
Magnum: Magnum HEMI, Magnum SRT (yup, more clones)
911: and do I need to really list the 500 performance variants of this car?
Boxster: BoxsterS
Corvette C6: Corvette Z06

And I am sure I've missed some. Point is, people will buy it and you won't hurt image or sales AT ALL of the lessor models. In fact the high priced models generally BOOST the sales and image of the lower spec ones.

Last edited by Mr_Q; 08-01-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Suvlaki

imo, the Z is priced correctly and performs correctly for it's target. You want a bigger, faster car..? Wait a year or so for the GT-R... Until then, enjoy your Z.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Theatrix
Professional

I paid $40K for my 06 GT-Roadster. I like the Z. I prefer its lines over the vettes. And they are a dime a dozen here. I much prefer dumping another 20K into this car and make it something unique. And I'll have fun during the process.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
breed

Originally Posted by mc350z
the GT-R is gonna fill this spot.

the Z's niche is a 30K sports car. even with the next gen due out in a year or 2 i expect a 320hp 4.9 0-60 car.
what about the people who dont have 70-80k to spend on a car?real nissan enthusiast who want more power..the z32 had an option for twins why not the z33
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Mr. O. I don't want to drop 75K on a GTR. I would think Nissan could put a factory twin turbo system in the car for about $10 grand. That being said you could get a TT Roadster for about $45,000, not way out of line for what you'd get. That way you can finance the TT system with the purchase and as previously stated, get the peace of mind of a factory warranty and not have to worry about a surprise $10,000 engine build after blowing an engine on an aftermarket upgrade.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Suvlaki

Motor Trend is saying $50-$70k for the GT-R when it is released. Split that, $60k. I hardly think $60k is alot for what you're getting. AWD, factory twin-turbo, standard stability and traction control, side airbags, etc.

If you are going to spend close to $50k to get a similarly speced Z, what's another $10k to get much more car for your $? I understand that is really pricey for some people, but then again, how many people are buying sedans and sports cars >$70 nowadays...? Tons.

I love the Z and have dreamt of owning it ever since it's release in 2003, but I would much rather spend $60k on a TT GT-R than $50k on TT Z. I think the Z is where it needs to be. Maybe Nissan sees it that way also? Maybe that is why they are not bothering with stock F/I on the Zs?

As for modding a Z and making it unique.. well, that is a different story.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
zipgun

Nissan already tried (300zx turbo) and damn near bankrupted em
Old 08-01-2006, 12:41 PM
4BangR-X

Think of it from Nissans stand point. Why push the envelope of an already proven market? They can and will sell the 350z. They can provide warranty work for a VQ35. The time and money spent to invest into research and development will be in the millions to try to bring a car out with twin turbos. This is not your average tuner shop just slapping some slugs on and calling it a day. The whole engine would have to be redesigned and it would probably take a couple of years. Nissan stands to make more money investing that time and money into a next generation of sports car. Enter GTR.

Originally Posted by zipgun
Nissan already tried (300zxtt) and damn near bankrupted em
This is another very solid reason.

Quick Reply: I mean really Nissan, it's time.