Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone have vermin problems? Just forked $300+ for "fixing" my Z...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:42 PM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have vermin problems? Just forked $300+ for "fixing" my Z...

This is so damn frustrating. I could use some tips/pointers on how to deal with my situation.

So I had a SES light on my Z a month ago. Thread can be found here:
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/202508-part-description-switch-assy-neu-what-is-it.html

I had taken the car to be serviced (Victory Nissan of Gaithersburg) few weeks back and they replaced the neutral switch assembly..or so they claimed. I finally had gotten the car back after leaving my car with them for an nearly the whole day even though I had an appointment. Supposedly my appointment was not recorded. WTF...ok..I am patient.

Got the car back and I had a feeling they didn't fix it since cruise control and reverse lights still weren't working. Few days later....SES light comes on...BIG surprise . Anyways...I called the manager and told him I wasn't happy with the service done and he said it could have been a bad switch or circuit. He mentioned he could get me a rental if the work would take longer. Anyways...fast forward to two days ago.

I drop the car off..again with an appointment. They didn't get around to check out my car. WTF?..ok Fine. I ask for a rental and enterprise gets me a pos neon. I call next day and they said they are only starting to diagnos the car in the afternoon. Finally I call back around 530 and they told me they found the problem: Some wiring harness at the botton of the car had be chewed by some animal. WTF?!?!?!?! The car won't be ready until in the morning next day. Ok..I am still patient.

Today, I got the car back after paying $300 bucks for that fix. On my way home...SES light comes on!!!. My cruise control works and I believe I saw the reflection of my reverse lights on another car. The SES code is for the neutral assembly switch which I confirmed at Advanced Auto parts.

ANYWAYS....GUYS..GALS...WTF!! Anyone heard of vermin chewing electrical lines in our cars or any other cars in general? The stealership said its a common problem . The assistant manager said I was lucky since there have been cars with $4k in damage. I live in the suburbs and not in the booneys so I don't know what the hell would go under my car to chew stuff up. Also, what kind of electrical wires are underneath our car? Anyone know? Anyone have pics of the Z underneath that they can share and I can look at? I'd like to as well informed as I can.

I am going to call the stealership tomorrow and ask for the manager to have a word, cause frankly..I AM PISSED.

Edit: In case anyone was wondering....the car drives fine.

Last edited by rockinbboy; 08-10-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:50 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd ask to see these "chewed" wires
Old 08-10-2006, 07:09 PM
randymack

Default vermin

My 92 240sx failed the emission test back in 2000! didn't really understand why,then i checked the air filter. critters had crawled up into the filter chamber and built a little nest/home while i was out of town for 9 days! you shoulda seen the stuff they had used to make a nice warm house. straw,paper,cardboard,wrappers etc. took it all out,replaced the filter and passed emissions the next time.

so i didn't find any chewed wires,but they get up in there....ver common indeed

someone told me to put a bar of Irish spring under your car if it sits more than a few days. they can't take the smell

this is all true,i swear
Old 08-10-2006, 07:31 PM
ouch1011

I used to work for a AAA contractor, did alot of work for older people whose cars had been sitting for some time, mostly jump starts or flat tire changes. I saw alot of cars that had vermin nests under the hood.

Now as a mechanic, I see plenty of cars come in with vermin related problems. One of my least favorite jobs was diagnosing a noisy heater fan motor. Take it out and found that a mouse had crawled into the fan and then the fan got turned on, literally spun the mouse to death. Yeah, that smelled really, really bad.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Found the source of your problem...

Never ever ever fill your gas tank after midnight!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:06 AM
rockinbboy

^lol. So anyone got pics of the Z underneath?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:09 AM
NewJerZ

Ugh...Animals and cars just DON'T mix! Whenever I see some jacka_zz with his/her dog's head out the passenger window with it's MF toungue drooling...I'm like seriously WTF is wrong with you?

...Maybe after the dog's head smacks into a street sign or mailbox...then they might learn their lesson

Anyway..back on topic...My neighbor's cat recently crawled up and wedged herself into the underside of my Z....I didn't notice at first, but I heard her and her son yelling at the cat and went outside to find them crouched down under my car.

Of course, I tried to help, but the cat was scared cuz she knew she was in trouble for pawing a hole in the neighbor's new screen door.

Sooo....we were out there for about 20 mins or so...By then, the son has a broom handle to try to push the MF cat out...

I hate cats with a passion (useless animals), so I suggested that I could start the car and that might scare her away (I was really thinking the heat from the cat-alytic converter, pipes, and engine might burn da sucker!)

Neighbor was like...no, let's not do that (I'm like...shyt...that woulda been funny to see that cat run screaming with it's fur on fire!! J/K LOL!)

All well that ends well....after a few more mins, the broomstick finally did the trick...No damage or chewed anything...Thank God!

Last edited by NewJerZ; 08-11-2006 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 AM
stein

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
I'd ask to see these "chewed" wires
I'd definitely as to see the wires since you're footing the bill. It can happen though; we have two cats and one of then chews on electrical cords! I am just waiting for the day she f'ing hits it just right!

<-- doesn't like cats either, worthless!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:08 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Damage from squirrels is common. They will get under the car a tear out the electrical wiring. I assume that the junk is used to built a nest. If that is true then August is the wrong time for nest building. Squirrels build nests in the spring right?

Last edited by davidv; 08-11-2006 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 AM
KelekonaKustoms

check these out
Attachment 115690

Attachment 115691

did a tune up on my aunts van, she wondered why it wasnt running good

Last edited by KelekonaKustoms; 03-11-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:48 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Wow. how idd they get under the air cleaner lid?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:42 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KelekonaKustoms
check these out
Attachment 115690

Attachment 115691

did a tune up on my aunts van, she wondered why it wasnt running good
You are supposed to change the peanuts every 25,000 miles.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha! Those pics are too funny! In the thumbnails, they looked like A LOT of newborn rabbits.