Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

reduce or increase theft break in rate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 10:35 PM
dkorr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reduce or increase theft break in rate?

Thinking of tinting my windows 35 all around. Wonder if anyone here experienced increase/decrease of forced entry rates. Issues I've considered:

-tinted windows increase curiousity
-tinted windows decrease visibility of car's contents
-tinted windows increase glass shatter safety during crash
-tinted windows decrease inside ambient temperature
-tinted windows increase actual car break-in ???(going by presumption that if you tint the windows, you're hiding something valuable inside)

wondering what your thoughts are
Old 08-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Schukey

i have an RSX and had my car broken into once before the tint; they stole my radar detector and several pairs of shoes which were visible in the hatch.

A while after I got 20% all around. now i regularly keep valuables (well, nothing too valuable obviously) and such in my hatch which would normally be very visible without the tint, but now you have to look very closely with your hands cupped to see them. my car hasn't been broken into once since i got the tints.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:03 AM
NewJerZ

Thumbs down

awwwwww...F*ck it, yo

Last edited by NewJerZ; 08-12-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:16 AM
n8236

Anything that can help prevent your car to be stolen will help and increase the chance of theft on cars around you. Just make it a hard target. But if they really want your car, they'll take it. I always thought car covers helped, though they're a pain to remove and put on.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:34 AM
CervanteZ

Do it, if it's legal in your state, I can't seem to think of any lame reasons why not to.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:50 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey that laser looks familiar....

NewjerZ do you deal crack? Do you smoke it? That was the most ridiculous post I've read in a while. Congratulations.

1,2,5 = what you think it looks like does not matter, nor does anyone here care what you think. Feel free to express your feelings though, .

4 = It was 108 here a few days ago. Last week it hit 110. Come deal with this heat before you talk ish about the way tint looks.

3 = If a theif wants to bust my window only to find an OEM HU and a completely empty car, be my guest. I'm helping the thieves. That way they can figure out real fast they just wasted their time and effort before I catch them in the act and have to get medieval on some poor shmuck.

I know... it looks terrible.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:32 AM
NewJerZ

Whateva Dude....I SAID THAT FOR HOT WEATHER CLIMATES TINT DOES MAKE SENSE. BTW...DO U THINK I GIVE A F*CK ABOUT YOUR THOUGHTS? NEGATIVE WB...

Last edited by NewJerZ; 08-12-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:06 AM
roast

If you didn't care about my thoughts you wouldn't have responded.

Don't have something on-topic to say? How about shutting your mouth?

Anyway. I say if anything tint may prevent theft, very slightly, although it probably all evens out and doesnt really make a difference. Tint makes it harder to see inside, so the thief has to spend more time being up to no good before deciding if he's going FTW or not. Obviously he could just bust the window and find out the hard way. Most of the time thieves target people they know have goodies, instead of wasting their time at random. I seriously doubt any criminal thinks to himself, "gee, that car has tint, I wonder what they're hiding". Then again nobody ever said criminals were smart, kinda like someone else we know.

Anyway, that's just my take on it.

Last edited by roast; 08-12-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:20 AM
NewJerZ

The Ignore Button Is A Beautiful Thing!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by NewJerZ
I'm assuming tinted windows are legal in your state...They're ILLEGAL in mine (NJ)...but we still have fools riding around with full dark tint all around and get pulled over and ticketed by the 5-0.

Personally, I'm not one for tinted windows (on a Z or any other car) because:

1. They make you look shady, like you're TRYING to hide something (which is probably WHY they're illegal in my state...MF's can have sex in their cars, snort coke and all other kinda weird shyt).

2. Looks ridiculous and ghetto, IMO.

3. Might actually cause some low-life crackhead to smash your window cuz he thinks you ARE hiding valuables in there.

4. Are absolutely unneccesary, unless you live in a place like FL, TX or similar places that consistently have super high temperatures.

5. Makes you look like a ricer boy ...Why not get the super jumbo rear spoiler, spinners, and tin can exhaust to go with it!

Are you talking about any tint or just tinting the front windows? Curious because most of the higher end manufactoers (Infiniti, Lexus, MB, etc..) put smoked glass on there cars which looks exactly like tint (with the exception of the front windows).

Other bonus of tint regardless of where you live is protection from the UV rays which tint blocks out.

Although From a cops perspective I can understand why they don't like the really dark tint as it makes there job a lot more dangerous.

To me tint on a car is comparable to a person wearing sunglasses
Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM
roast

The Ignore Button Is A Beautiful Thing!
Knock yourself out precious.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:28 AM
roast

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
Although From a cops perspective I can understand why they don't like the really dark tint as it makes there job a lot more dangerous.
That's a good point. When I get pulled over - car gets turned off - interior/dome light goes on - windows go down - both hands go on the wheel.

Cops appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:29 AM
NewJerZ

The TRUE Bottom line: To each his/her own....Peace
Old 08-12-2006, 07:30 AM
thrill350z

i think tints are a good thing overall. They decrease the cars temperature to some extent, most would agree they improve the looks of the car and they decrease visibility into the car making the contents inside harder to see. But you must take steps to protect yourself from theft. I would never leave valuables visible inside my car when its unattended for more then a few mins. Most car valuables can be detached like my sirius radio and radar detector but as for things like shopping bags or purses, they should be hidden under the seat, carried with you or left at home.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:00 AM
dkorr

5. Makes you look like a ricer boy ...Why not get the super jumbo rear spoiler, spinners, and tin can exhaust to go with it!

^^ NOT my idea of a cool car.

I think it makes the car look nicer. This is pretty much exactly how my car will look like with 30% all around. I'm more concerned about the 'trying to hide something of value' because of the tint issue.
Attached Thumbnails reduce or increase theft break in rate?-ww.jpg  
Old 08-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Built2shredZ

Don't think most thieves will risk busting into a dark tinted car on the off chance there might be something in there. They are usally looking for easy scores, cars with no alarms, no tint, etc...

But then again im no theif <shrug>

Bonus of having a Roadster with a trunk
Old 08-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Mewantbfp

Originally Posted by dkorr
I think it makes the car look nicer. This is pretty much exactly how my car will look like with 30% all around. I'm more concerned about the 'trying to hide something of value' because of the tint issue.

Yeah im about to tint my windows in the next few days and it will look alot like the photo you put up but on topic i would say that when it comes to the kind of people who are going to break into your car for radars and stuff like that (kids) they arent going to just bust into random tinted cars as long as you dont go around showing off what you have inside. If it was me the only problem i would and do have with tint is the tickets you can get. I had 20% all around in my 03 eclipse and never got a ticket i changed it over to 5% on the sides and i got 2 tickets in under 2 months. So just be careful.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:27 AM
sleeperZ69

35% tint is like getting nothing. If you're getting tints, at least go 20%, thats what I have. I live in South Florida and it get HOT, so they really help.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:50 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

I have 50% on the sides and 5% on the other three.

For security with a Z, it will do nothing, if you walk to the front of the car and look through the windshield, you can see clear through to the trunk light. You're better off with a black fleece blanket back there.

Any good tint will get you at least a 50% heat rejection. Even with my 50 sides, while driving with the sun beating in my arm does not even get warm like it does in my non tinted cars. The total amount of heat rejection is not necessarily dependent on how dark it is, check with your tint guy for specs.

I don't know where you are in the "USA" but here everybody has tint of some kind of another, it's external bling and the stuff you leave in plain sight that will get people to break in. Then there is the random addict that will break your windows just to get to your coin stash.

Chris

Last edited by HyperSprite; 08-12-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Vicynax

I'm assuming tinted windows are legal in your state...They're ILLEGAL in mine (NJ)...but we still have fools riding around with full dark tint all around and get pulled over and ticketed by the 5-0.

1. They make you look shady, like you're TRYING to hide something (which is probably WHY they're illegal in my state...MF's can have sex in their cars, snort coke and all other kinda weird shyt).

3. Might actually cause some low-life crackhead to smash your window cuz he thinks you ARE hiding valuables in there.

4. Are absolutely unneccesary, unless you live in a place like FL, TX or similar places that consistently have super high temperatures.

^^ NOT my idea of a cool car.
Hahaha... I hope this post was some type of joke.. it made no sense at all.. But then again, Jersey ppl are whacked

As for the OP, if you can and you feel like you want to, do it... it most definitely decreases theft rate, unless you were booming your stereo down the street... There's no reason for a theif to break into a car not knowing if there's anything valuable to steal.. I rather break into a car I can see and know exactly what I'm taking out of it... Oh.. and the sun... it prevents *** burns when you get in your car after 8 hours of 100 degree heat...

Quick Reply: reduce or increase theft break in rate?