Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can someone explain the pre order/tracking number deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 03:42 AM
ICYBLUE1203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone explain the pre order/tracking number deal?

I don't get it. Im about to make a deposit on a 350Z, and the salesperson at the dealer guarantees me that I will get a car as soon as they receive them. He said I will have the choice to pick which ever car I want, since I made a deposit for a 350Z. I do not think this correct? Can anyone help me out?
Old 07-12-2002, 03:55 AM
LowFuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pre-order program ended almost a month ago. If you want to choose your own color and options, you'll have to wait until probably January to get your car.
It's possible your dealer has a pre-order slot that someone backed out of, and he's offering it to you, but you'd have to accept whatever color and options they picked.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:05 AM
ICYBLUE1203

Oh ok, I get it now. Is he telling me the truth though? He said I get to pick from any of the cars that are coming in. I dont think I can since that means I could get someone elses that pre ordered, so Im confused about that. Anyways, I just want a Black 350Z (base model) by mid August. Too much to ask for? LOL
Old 07-12-2002, 04:10 AM
duncan

"by mid august???" are you kidding, people that ordered in jan. are lucky to get cars in august.I would wait till one comes in as proof and then go from there.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:10 AM
Jill

Originally posted by ICYBLUE1203
Oh ok, I get it now. Is he telling me the truth though? He said I get to pick from any of the cars that are coming in. I dont think I can since that means I could get someone elses that pre ordered, so Im confused about that. Anyways, I just want a Black 350Z (base model) by mid August. Too much to ask for? LOL
Yup! Too much to ask for...not gonna happen...
Old 07-12-2002, 04:11 AM
Scafremon

To elaborate on Jason's comments, the preorder program was unique, in that it allowed us to spec our cars (trim,color, options). Now that this program has ended, the dealers will receive Nissan spec'd cars for their lots for them to sell. Unless the dealer has a pre-order that someone backed out of like Jason mentioned, you get to choose from what they get from Nissan.

We've been under the impression (and haven't heard anything to the contrary) that all of the first cars manufactured are for us pre-orderers. Depending on how quick Nissan completes the pre-ordered cars will affect how soon dealers will have cars on their lots to sell to new customers.

I wonder if Nissan may build some additional cars during the pre-order assembly time to give to the dealers to sell sooner. That would sure be a bummer for those of us still waiting - to walk into a dealer and see our exactly spec'd car, but having it not for us. Nah...Nissan wouldn't do that to us.

As for the tracking number stuff you see us talking about, well, that is basically us getting ansie. Nissan has attached order numbers to our cars, which we've been told represent a build order, and only some of us have rec'd the numbers. Those that have rec'd them are either happy (car being built when they expected it), or sad (car being built later then expected). Those that have not rec'd numbers are still wondering where we stand.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:01 AM
2003z

being in Los Angeles, it is possible your dealer didn't participate in the pre-order program, or made a bunch of false orders to get early stock. What dealer is it, maybe someone else here already ordered from them and can confirm it. Also, what price are they quoting you. If its a lot over msrp, the above is probably the case.