2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Zisme downplays "R" in order#

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 04:32 AM
Zboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zisme downplays "R" in order#

This is what Zisme had to say about the orders on a post on zcar.com on 7/11

"Customer order numbers are just that a customer order number. The R, S, or T designation are random and do not mean that R's will arrive first, S's will arrive 2nd etc....None of the Z's have vin #'s attached as of yet. The vin #'s get in the system after the boat has been loaded and left the port in Japan. There will not be any vins available until the last few days of this month and then it will only be the units that were on the ship. Only a portion of the pre-sells will be on the ship at the end of this month. So vin #s will not be available for everyone at the same time. Remember we are building the pre-sell units in June, July, August, and a portion in September, so it is obviously not possible to give vins all at one time. For all pre-sell units that made it in the build schedule so far...the dealer would have reports that give them the month it is scheduled to be built and the month (not day) it is scheduled to be delivered. When the vehicle gets a vin attached the dealer would be able to give a better estimate of delivery."
Old 07-12-2002, 04:39 AM
TCL

Good information. First boat leaves end of July. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:44 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he is wrong on this one.

They didn't issue an R to an order, than a T to the next. They were applied in some type of sequence, and usually sequences are then used for other purposes. At some point, for some reason, they stopped applying R1xxxxx to orders, and then started applying S2xxxxx to orders. If not for manufacturing purposes (that is what they Nissan does), then for what?

He can clear this up with a simple post - advise what they do mean, instead of just saying what they don't mean, and then, tell us how we are to figure out when are cars are going to arrive, given the fact that dealers are clueless, and some even seem to be using the R, S, T numbers for reference.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:57 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

Originally posted by Scafremon
I think he is wrong on this one.

They didn't issue an R to an order, than a T to the next. They were applied in some type of sequence, and usually sequences are then used for other purposes. At some point, for some reason, they stopped applying R1xxxxx to orders, and then started applying S2xxxxx to orders. If not for manufacturing purposes (that is what they Nissan does), then for what?

He can clear this up with a simple post - advise what they do mean, instead of just saying what they don't mean, and then, tell us how we are to figure out when are cars are going to arrive, given the fact that dealers are clueless, and some even seem to be using the R, S, T numbers for reference.
What do you mean ZISME is wrong? So a top level Nissan employee is wrong, and you, a customer is right? Your idea is speculation, am I missing something here?
Old 07-12-2002, 05:06 AM
Scafremon

Originally posted by barnicleboy

What do you mean ZISME is wrong? So a top level Nissan employee is wrong, and you, a customer is right? Your idea is speculation, am I missing something here?
Hi barnacleboy. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with your questions, or really asking me questions. If it was the prior, I'd chuckle, and not post a reply. But in case it was the later, I'll respond.

I said I think ZISME is wrong, not that he is wrong.

Yes, a top level Nissan employee can be wrong, and a customer right.

(Your last sentence is kind of 2 statements, so I will adress indivudually)

Yes, it's speculation.

You may be, I'm not sure.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:15 AM
mav

OK This production cycle has nothing to do with the new 350Z but it may help those in estimating delivery times...

This is my production cycle for my Honda S2000 built in Japan, like the Z.

05.31.2002: Build Date (car begines production)

06.18.2002: Assign (VIN is assigned to the car in the Honda computer system, ship leaves Japan for the USA)

07.08.2002: Shipped (car has arrived at the Port in San Diego, CA, is loaded on a train/truck to be delivered to the dealer)

07.18.2002 : estimated Date of Arrival

I know this has ZERO to do with the new Z or your timelines but it may help those that their cars are already shipped, estimate how long the crossing of the Pacific Ocean may be.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:28 AM
Scafremon

I appreciate the info Mav.

My question: When did you place the order for your S2000, and if it was say Jan or Feb, how did you feel about the information you were getting while you were waiting? Same type of stuff you see us going through on this forum? Better information flow? Worse?

When you ordered, what time frame did Honda give you for your car. Did they hold to t he schedule? Change schedule but advise you?

Curious.

Thanks for your post.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:35 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I think it has been quoted before that it takes 17days from Japan to the West Coast.

Since I live in Houston, it will hop onto the train, and then get unloaded off somewhere north Houston. Then it will travel by truck to the dealer ship. Then it will be driven to my house by me
Old 07-12-2002, 05:46 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Hi barnacleboy. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with your questions, or really asking me questions. If it was the prior, I'd chuckle, and not post a reply. But in case it was the later, I'll respond.

Yes, it's speculation.

Based on ZISME's latest post, I think Scaf was right after all. ZISME just stated that "All I'm trying to say is that orders beginning with R do not guarantee August delivery, orders beginning with S do not guarantee September delivery, etc...." I would say that statement is a concession that the letters matter.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:55 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

When I spoke with the NNA regional rep today, she also told me that the number was simply a reference number and could not be used to track the car or determine it's delivery date.

I'm with Scaf on this one however. If they have no meaning at all as to delivery, then why is it that all of the R's have August delivery dates on their order sheets, all S's (like mine) have Sept. delivery dates etc?
Old 07-12-2002, 05:56 AM
mav

I appreciate the info Mav.

My question: When did you place the order for your S2000, and if it was say Jan or Feb, how did you feel about the information you were getting while you were waiting? Same type of stuff you see us going through on this forum? Better information flow? Worse?

When you ordered, what time frame did Honda give you for your car. Did they hold to t he schedule? Change schedule but advise you?

Curious.

Thanks for your post.
I ordered mine on May 26th, I believe, but it was a pre-allocated car from the dealer's inventory list. The infomation flow from Honda/dealer was excellent. I received daily updates from the dealer, most of the time with nothing to report.

Honda stuck to their schedule for the most part. Maybe about a week late, that's no complaints from me.

As for advice from someone who is also anxious waiting for his car to arrive (next week, I hope), patience is key.

Let them build it, it will come....
Old 07-12-2002, 06:17 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

Yes, it's speculation.

Sarcasm was not intended, otherwise it would'nt have been mistaken.

With information I usually stick to likely probabilities. I wouldnt think ZISME would be wrong, judging by his alleged position and accuracy of past information. In that respect, I would side with the man from within, and not the man from without.
Possibly he is misinforming us, but I do not believe he is out of loop on the Z particulates.

Your ideas do have substance and should be weighed accordingly.

thanks