Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Rob Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, any doubts I had were quelled

I just took spn350z's car for a spin, and then we went for a ride in my car right afterwards. We have identical models, just different colors, and his is a very early VIN, and mine is in the 13000 range.

I noticed it very short into the ride. In my car a bump would be there, but in his it would porpoise, albeit faintly at times, but it was there at all speeds. Sometimes the porpoising, bouncing, was very pronounced. There is definitely something different between his early build car and mine.

Since mine doesn't have the problem, we can only hope a TSB is coming soon for you all with the problem.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Well, any doubts I had were quelled

Originally posted by Rob Nance
I just took spn350z's car for a spin, and then we went for a ride in my car right afterwards. We have identical models, just different colors, and his is a very early VIN, and mine is in the 13000 range.

I noticed it very short into the ride. In my car a bump would be there, but in his it would porpoise, albeit faintly at times, but it was there at all speeds. Sometimes the porpoising, bouncing, was very pronounced. There is definitely something different between his early build car and mine.

Since mine doesn't have the problem, we can only hope a TSB is coming soon for you all with the problem.
Well, Well, Rob. Thanks for your vindication for all the Nissan Reps and Dealers staff who poo-pooed our recognition that something was wrong with our ride from the beginning. OK, Nissan. Where's our FIX??

This revelation comes right on time for our group letter to Nissan, International complaining about the feathering and now we can add BOUNCE to our missive. How about a few members in other parts of the country doing their comparisons with early and later VIN cars? We need lots of numbers on these comparos or Nissan NA will continue to say nothing has been changed in any of the Z cars, early or late.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:39 PM
350z4steve

if something has changed why doesnt nissan at least give those that notice the option of getting it taken care of..that seems odd that if there wasnt a problem in the 2 z cars you testedwhy they would ride that much different anything altered aftermarketwise or wheels?
Old 04-10-2003, 07:19 PM
happypants

I got a call today from Nissan Consumer Affairs, and it is about the porpoising. They want me to call them back about the "bouncy ride" (as I described it in the "new car survey"). I couldn't get a hold of the person who called me Thursday, and I was told I needed to talk to a specific help desk rep. I will try early Friday.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by 350z4steve
if something has changed why doesnt nissan at least give those that notice the option of getting it taken care of..that seems odd that if there wasnt a problem in the 2 z cars you testedwhy they would ride that much different anything altered aftermarketwise or wheels?
We both have touring models, 6 speeds, with the 18" wheels and RE04 tires. No aftermarket changes.

It feels like they had a bad batch of shocks or something, but surely it can't be that simple.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:41 PM
350z4steve

We both have touring models, 6 speeds, with the 18" wheels and RE04 tires. No aftermarket changes.

It feels like they had a bad batch of shocks or something, but surely it can't be that simple.

perhaps not..maybe thats why nissan doesnt want to make an issue of it..in a time of bad economy why would they want to cost into their bottom line on something that wasnt considered to be a flaw that could cause harm or something serious. Im guessing its just a minor thing in their eyes and not enough complaints to warrent changing those with the problem. So they will tackle it by upgrades to future models as you have tested out yourself.

$0.02
Old 04-10-2003, 10:24 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, I have a vin of 10,800, built 12/02, supposedly has different spring part #, does anyone know when and if anything else was supposedly changed???

sounds like the pre-orders and early VINs were the main ones, what VIN range was the one you drove??
Old 04-10-2003, 10:27 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I finally found a vehicle that bounces just as much as my Z: my Dad's F-150. But hey, I don't mind anymore.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Rob Nance

Default Re: Re: Well, any doubts I had were quelled

Originally posted by rodH
Rob, I have a vin of 10,800, built 12/02, supposedly has different spring part #, does anyone know when and if anything else was supposedly changed???

sounds like the pre-orders and early VINs were the main ones, what VIN range was the one you drove??
Mine was also built 12/02, 13,085 is my vin, must have been late in the month. Would be funny if it was built real close to my birthday, Jan 4th. The VIN is a low one, I am not sure, it is spn350z's car.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:49 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob,
Excellent job! I am going to do the same thing with my dealers owners new Z. I have a preorder Z. I know mine bounces. He says his Z is fine. If I can get him to drive mine. This guy is on the national NNA board. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:57 AM
jmark

Originally posted by spn350z
Rob,
I work and live in north Austin with an early Z. I'll let you take it for a spin on 183 between Mopac and Oak Knoll. You'll have to sign a waiver for neck or body injury ....

I would like to be able to compare the ride on both cars.
spn350z,

Did you drive Rob's Z? How was it?
Old 04-11-2003, 05:47 AM
jmark

Well the test is on this afternoon. I'll report my findings tonight.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:50 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

After reading this thread I wondered, If the shocks don't have good rebound control would this also cause the car to push in a tight turn. It seems my car (vin in 6k range) does not push on entry when the front suspension sets up. Middle to exit of the turn the car starts pushing. It seems if the shock had bad rebound control it is allowing the springs to return to normal ride hight thus unloading the outside front tire giving the car a bad push. Anybody have any thought on this?
Old 04-11-2003, 07:06 AM
happypants

Well, the call with Nissan was the same as just calling the Nissan Customer Hotline, they told me to take it to a dealer. Here I thought Nissan's call back from me ripping on the car's suspension on the customer survey would be a sign something would get done.

So, the only dealer I know of that can reproduce the problem is 40 miles away plus I have to take a day off of work and rent a car because I have to leave the car there all day.

I've pretty much given up on this. Jmark looks like at least he may be able to get something done at Nissan once the dealership owner test drives Jmark's car.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:35 AM
jmark

I just got back from my test of my dealer/owners Z. He has a touring 6 speed & I have a 6 speed enthusiast. Well I took his Z out and noticed a difference with the 18" wheels and tires. Ride was firmer but more controlled. Turn in is better. I want some 18" wheels now......The dealers mechanic drove mine with me in the car and put it down to the 17 " rims with the 50 series tires vs. the 18" rims with the 45 series tires........I asked to drive a new enthusiasts with a 6 speed. I drove a brand new one off the lot and it road just like mine........ So I guess I only mudded the issue. Guess it is time to buy some 18" rims and strap on the NIMSO kit.....I must admit my Z road pretty well on the interstate to the dealership. Car wants to run 80 mph!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:07 PM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jmark
spn350z,

Did you drive Rob's Z? How was it?
Sorry, guys been under weather with allergies.

No I did not drive the car but rode with Rob over the same road. Yes, Rob's had more rebound control. Going over the joints in the road was more controlled on Rob's Z than on mine.

Mine 350Z built date is July of '02 VIN in low 1500's and mileage is in 10k range. I have 200/300 miles on new set of front tires. I got my car is Sept. 02. So it should be well broken in and "settled" in reference to springs and dampeners (struts).

With new set of alignment settings from NNA tech line.

Wish I could put both cars on hoist to try and identify differences. Better yet, has a range of springs and struts to mix and match until I got the right combo.

But if I going to put money into mod'ing a Z, I think I would spend it better mod'ing my 280Z.

Too fustrated with the 350Z!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:11 PM
SassyZ

If you wanted a nice plush ride, you should have gotten the G coupe. The Z is what it is ... a sports car ... with a sport car suspension.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by SassyZ
If you wanted a nice plush ride, you should have gotten the G coupe. The Z is what it is ... a sports car ... with a sport car suspension.
I agree, but the fact of the matter is, spn350z's car does drive differently than my high VIN car.

I had your same opinion, and still do, but don't confuse it with this early model suspension problem.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by SassyZ
Plush ride? There are no plush riders in this company, plush rides are for limos and Lincoln Town Cars. Does the Z look like a limo to you? And the Z has a SUB-STANDARD sports car suspension, even if the little experiment we are engaging in is unsuccessful at demonstrating there has been a running change in the build process for the Z.

Beware of making sweeping statements on this site, you can get sliced and diced for your posted thoughts before you can draw another breath. I've been here since June 2002 and this is your first post? Know any of the history of what we are doing and why?; do some reading, come back and we/I can discuss the matter bias to bias, background to background, ego to ego.

This has been an ongoing controversy since the delivery of the preordered Zs owners, me maybe being the loudest voice among them. Our experiment may not be conclusive in the end, but it is a pro-active coalition of owners and admirers of the Z to not accept Nissan's silence on the subject and the Z is too good a car for us to accept shortcomings in one of its major systems.

I may be wrong, but I'll bet I have keychains older than you, and thats OK because we don't do age or any other discrimination here. Read Takao's Rules, we take them seriously.

Boomer babble
Old 04-11-2003, 06:50 PM
reelmcoy

car handles like a sportscar, if you dont like it, buy a caddy. i like the way it rides and feels

Quick Reply: Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop