Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 07:00 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let you guys know; Nissan never bothered to get back to me after my open letter to them. The S-Tune package with the ARB's impresses me more every day. It seems to do everything with virtually no trade off in ride comfort. In fact, with the annoying bounce now gone; one could argue that ride comfort is actually improved.

I think contacting Nissan is a waste of time on this. Nissan might improve future production, but they will do nothing for us. They really don't have to. Unless it's a safety issue, or will cost them more money in long term warranty repairs, they simply won't fix it.

I know it sux, but just fix it yourselves guys. It's cheaper than dumping the car and taking a loss. That was the choice I was faced with an really considered. My issue was not really the ride but the handling, as many of you know. If the S-Tune setup had not fixed the problems, I would have sold the Z. As simple as that.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:18 PM
happypants

Originally posted by raceboy
I know it sux, but just fix it yourselves guys.
I've finally come to this conclusion.

Now the hard part is deciding which upgrade I want: Eibach, S-Tune, HKS, or Tein. I'm mainly interested in fixing the bounce, so Eibach would be the cheapest choice, but I don't want to change the ride height.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:31 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by happypants
I've finally come to this conclusion.

Now the hard part is deciding which upgrade I want: Eibach, S-Tune, HKS, or Tein. I'm mainly interested in fixing the bounce, so Eibach would be the cheapest choice, but I don't want to change the ride height.
or wait a couple/few months for adjustable Konis or KYBs, they will be under $500-600 and should work GREAT (even with stock springs).
Old 04-11-2003, 08:52 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Steve... thanks again.... big-time thanks.

Alhtough I was planning to upgrade to S-tune soon after taking delivery of my Z... it was accelerated to warp speed due to..

1/ the absolutely terrible handling and bounce of the current setup.
2/ your excellent review of the S-tune system..

I thanked you before.. and am doing it again.

My S-tune gets installed next week... and I can't wait.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:59 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
Steve... thanks again.... big-time thanks.

Alhtough I was planning to upgrade to S-tune soon after taking delivery of my Z... it was accelerated to warp speed due to..

1/ the absolutely terrible handling and bounce of the current setup.
2/ your excellent review of the S-tune system..

I thanked you before.. and am doing it again.

My S-tune gets installed next week... and I can't wait.
Can't wait to hear your impressions.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Boomer

Just to let you guys know; Nissan never bothered to get back to me after my open letter to them. The S-Tune package with the ARB's impresses me more every day. It seems to do everything with virtually no trade off in ride comfort. In fact, with the annoying bounce now gone; one could argue that ride comfort is actually improved.

I think contacting Nissan is a waste of time on this. Nissan might improve future production, but they will do nothing for us. They really don't have to. Unless it's a safety issue, or will cost them more money in long term warranty repairs, they simply won't fix it.

I know it sux, but just fix it yourselves guys. It's cheaper than dumping the car and taking a loss. That was the choice I was faced with an really considered. My issue was not really the ride but the handling, as many of you know. If the S-Tune setup had not fixed the problems, I would have sold the Z. As simple as that.
I hear you, Steve. It is a matter of corporate integrity which makes me continue to push. If Nissan does not help us, I will fix the car myself with Koni adjustable shocks/anti-roll bars and I will keep the Z for a long time. I will use my good dealer's service dep't and the next car I buy will not be a Nissan, nor will the next, either. I am only one customer and they won't miss me, but I won't recommend Nissan's cars either. I will move upscale to anything but Nissan/Infiniti products.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by reelmcoy
car handles like a sportscar, if you dont like it, buy a caddy. i like the way it rides and feels
sh**, now I know how you guys feel. I just "kinda" thought you all were being nitpicks, but people like this guy don't bother to read, or are just REALLY dense. Man, I have ZERO PROBLEM with my car, and I drove another car that is NOT MINE, and I admit that it has the bounce problem that MINE DOES NOT HAVE. I love the handling of my car, it's harsh, but NOT BOUNCY.

Geez. If anyone wonders why my sig desciption is "justifiably harsh", it's people like this. I don't have patience for idiots.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:25 AM
350z4steve

Speaking of the S-Tune do any nissan dealers carry that in so cal area? Is that something they install or has to be ordered from Japan now?
Old 04-12-2003, 04:59 AM
nychotcop

Before I purchased my performace 350, I test drove a touring with the 18 inch wheels that had 9000 miles. During the test drive I experienced the " bounce" ( I felt like a bobble head doll) . I took delivery of my performance Z on 3-31-03...it DOES NOT have this bounce problem...so I think its an early production model problem.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:14 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my dealer owners Touring Z and it drove just as I would want my Z too. Firm but complaint ride. Handled great. Test drove a new Enthusiasts Z and it had the bounce just like mine. Dealers mechanic says it is the 17" rims with the 50 series tires. Now what? Ideas?
Old 04-12-2003, 05:41 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by jmark
I drove my dealer owners Touring Z and it drove just as I would want my Z too. Firm but complaint ride. Handled great. Test drove a new Enthusiasts Z and it had the bounce just like mine. Dealers mechanic says it is the 17" rims with the 50 series tires. Now what? Ideas?
Lets give owners some more time before any conclusions are drawn. We may or may not be able to duplicate Rob's test. It is now the weekend and more people will be able to do the tests. I will compile what we have sometime next week, maybe by Wednesday or Thursday. Then we will see what we have and make a decision. Someone asked earlier if the Z is being built at more than one plant. I don't know. If someone knows, please contact me and I'll see if a pattern emerges.

jmark, data is rarely totally consistent, so lets not make conclusions or become discouraged at this point. We only have a bare few tests now, certainly not a large enough sample. Do not generalize from a few anomalies, its not a good way to draw conclusions. I think our best chance for data is this weekend, lets wait and see.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-12-2003 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:21 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Boomer
Lets give owners some more time before any conclusions are drawn. We may or may not be able to duplicate Rob's test. It is now the weekend and more people will be able to do the tests. I will compile what we have sometime next week, maybe by Wednesday or Thursday. Then we will see what we have and make a decision. Someone asked earlier if the Z is being built at more than one plant. I don't know. If someone knows, please contact me and I'll see if a pattern emerges.

jmark, data is rarely totally consistent, so lets not make conclusions or become discouraged at this point. We only have a bare few tests now, certainly not a large enough sample. Do not generalize from a few anomalies, its not a good way to draw conclusions. I think our best chance for data is this weekend, lets wait and see.

Boomer
Boomer,
I will say that my owners Touring 6 speed Z handled and rode the way I would expect the Z to. If we can find this balance most would be satisfied. There is still understeer but that can be fixed with kits. I still love my car.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:53 AM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jmark,
and other that test drive differences PLEASE get the VIN and built date from drivers door.

jmark did or could get the VIN and built date for the Enthusiast Z you test drove that had the bounce?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by jmark
Boomer,
I will say that my owners Touring 6 speed Z handled and rode the way I would expect the Z to. If we can find this balance most would be satisfied. There is still understeer but that can be fixed with kits. I still love my car.
So do I. Sad, isn't it?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by spn350z
jmark,
and other that test drive differences PLEASE get the VIN and built date from drivers door.

jmark did or could get the VIN and built date for the Enthusiast Z you test drove that had the bounce?
Excellent. I should have thought of it. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:17 PM
jackccity

Question Talked to my Dealer Today--????

Talked to my service manager today at Gerald Nissan in Naperville, IL---he said that the bounce problem is known at Nissan NA. But he doesn't know when a fix will be out. But he did recommend that people experiencing the bounce should report it so that the complaint is on file.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Slexis200

i too have the bounce, i knew it seemed more than normal, even thoughits a sports car, and obviously should have a "tough" ride, but i agree something is wrong. Ive got Vin# 283 so its an early model. When i call 1800-nissan-1 how exactly should i describe the bouncing complaint.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Slexis200
i too have the bounce, i knew it seemed more than normal, even thoughits a sports car, and obviously should have a "tough" ride, but i agree something is wrong. Ive got Vin# 283 so its an early model. When i call 1800-nissan-1 how exactly should i describe the bouncing complaint.
Just describe it as it happens, on what surfaces is it most prevalent and how often it happens. Most surfaces, some surfaces or what. Mine reminds me of a "slammed" Civic rolling down the road with the driver's head going up and down and up and down. That happens to me on fresh asphalt 2 miles from my home and having already replaced the OE tires with Michelin A/Ss, and they are better in every way.

I had just left a movie on a cool night, the tires were cold and I pulled onto I35 and promptly got bounced into the headliner! Translation: The f'ing bounce threw all 295lbs of my fat a** into banging my head on the headliner. That, ladies and gentlemen, including you, Josh, is my worst experience w/the bounce of all my bad experiences.

Boomer--that is not a "tough" ride, it is a shitty suspension job and I do know the difference. Its enough to turn a sports car lover into a raving lunatic, looking for Nissan's blood or Carlos Ghosn's head on a stick. Pretty Gothic, huh? And thats how I feel about it today. Imagine what I felt like right after it happened.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:44 PM
jesseenglish

Default new enthusiast

I test drove a new Touring 3days before I bought my car, I noticed the ride was stiff just as I thought it should be. I just bought my enthusiast last week, it's brand spanking new. On the way home I was doing about 45 and drove on a section of concrete. Bottom line up front, I almost hit my head on the roof. I felt like I was back driving my CRX with cut springs when I couldn't afford to drop the car the proper way. 2 days later going down an offramp from I-25 the same thing happened. I don't have either VIN available right now, but my car was delivered the day I picked it up.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Boomer

Default Re: new enthusiast

Originally posted by jesseenglish
I test drove a new Touring 3days before I bought my car, I noticed the ride was stiff just as I thought it should be. I just bought my enthusiast last week, it's brand spanking new. On the way home I was doing about 45 and drove on a section of concrete. Bottom line up front, I almost hit my head on the roof. I felt like I was back driving my CRX with cut springs when I couldn't afford to drop the car the proper way. 2 days later going down an offramp from I-25 the same thing happened. I don't have either VIN available right now, but my car was delivered the day I picked it up.
Was the Touring you drove a 6MT w/18" tires? I know Rob's car has 18s, but I just read complaints from several owners w/17" tires/wheels. Is the bounce worse on 17"s tires than 18"s? I know the 18s have it, but is there a difference and if there is, why?

jmark, did the tech give you any reason why he thought the 17s were worse on the 17s , rather than the 18s?

Sorry for the segue, jesse, I'm tired and needed to get this down before I forgot it. Your description fits w/mine very well, since the Touring 5ATs have 17"ers, as well as the Enthusiast and the Base. Thanks

Quick Reply: Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop