Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 05:15 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop

Everyone who is dissatisfied with the Z's bounce/chopiness over certain road surfaces. Check out this thread and call.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....158#post218158
Old 03-01-2003, 08:15 AM
azjimbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z is a serious 2 seat sports car and handles like one.It also handles with some of the best cars in the world(Z06,M3,Boxster,911).If you want a easy,placid ride you should be looking at a Lexus,Caddy or Lincoln.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:31 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by azjimbo
The Z is a serious 2 seat sports car and handles like one.It also handles with some of the best cars in the world(Z06,M3,Boxster,911).If you want a easy,placid ride you should be looking at a Lexus,Caddy or Lincoln.
I agree.

what the hell did you expect?
Old 03-01-2003, 08:46 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I've had other sports cars (and ridden in more) with similar handling limits that didn't get the bounce we're talking about. For instance, 911s, Corvettes, etc. We aren't talking about stiff, firmness. We are talking about uncontrolled rebound that seems to be a mismatch between the shocks and the springs. I like the stiffness of the springs, it just seems the shocks don't control the rebound, which leads to porposing on concrete interstates, etc.

Notice that people who have stiffened up their suspensions with kits like the JIC, Nismo, and Tein coilovers have said this problem goes away.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:51 AM
socalsoda

Great idea. Everyone here complains and next year Nissan gives us a sh*ty soft suspension. If you wanted a softer ride you should have bought a camry.

One person on that link did have a good point also.... If they get a bunch of stupid complaints like this at NNA, then they are not going to take the rest of our calls seriously.

I for one am VERY pleased with the handling.... For me it is the best part of the car. Even better than the speed. I think certain people just want to complain.

And as far as comparing it to 911 and Corvettes... No Sh*t. How much did you pay for your car?

Last edited by socalsoda; 03-01-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:08 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

How about a F-Body then. Or, a smaller car like an MR2.

You keep acting like it is the firmness. None of us complain about that that I've seen. This is not the same. It is a suspension tuning issue. In fact, I think stiffening the rear is actually the answer, not softening anything.

Luckily, I don't see many of these roads here, so it isn't killing me. However, when I drove home from St Louis across MO, IL, IN, and KY concrete interstates, I questioned my purchase. I started smiling again when I hit TN with our asphault. Even our concrete here in Nashville is better.

I can see what these guys are complaining about, though.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:19 AM
350z4steve

exactly..its not the "firmness" if anything the shocks are too soft for the springs!!!! so an upgrade at this point is the only answer..like I said before in another post..you can't expect everything with a factory setup.. the only thing nissan will probably do if this is a complaint that actually gets to them in numbers is make it better ( as any good car maker would do for future models ) this is part of the first yr fixes every manufacture goes through..its more an observation that many are experiencing ( the bouncing effect..not to be construed as this is a bad car or its too firm! ) I wish the shocks "were made as firm or equal to the task of the stiff spring rates...
Old 03-01-2003, 09:34 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has nothing to do with a too firm a ride people! It is a mismatch of the springs and shocks!!!!! I have owned and driven a S2000, BMW M3 and Miata. None of these cars have the same bounce that the Z has. It is not on all roads. It feels like someone who has chopped there car and it bounces and rebounds on the springs. The shocks are along for the ride. If you don't have a complaint then stay out of it. A group of us feel that a fix is available from Nissan without shelling out $1600 for the NISMO suspension! I for one will probably go that route if Nissan continues to deny a problem. So don't tell me I want a soft car!!!!!!! I feel Nissan has done a superb job on the Z except for this oversight.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:55 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the bouncing problem until about 1500 miles...and they it decreased and now at 3500 miles it's pretty much completely gone. I think the suspension just needs to break-in a little...
Old 03-01-2003, 10:22 AM
WebToker

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I had the bouncing problem until about 1500 miles...and they it decreased and now at 3500 miles it's pretty much completely gone. I think the suspension just needs to break-in a little...
The springs probably needed time to settle.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Michael-Dallas

I don't notice any bounce. I do notice rear-end bounce on my 300ZX w/ the suspension set to "Sport" though.

Michael.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Heo2boy

Default LOL

I'm glad you cleared up the "BEST" thing. Have a good Day!!
Old 03-01-2003, 11:22 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

It's not a problem of being too firm. I like a firm suspension and the good, tight handling and flat cornering that goes along with it. But the 350Z has this very strange and disturbing bouncing action on some roads that I have not experienced before in any other sports car. I ride in a Boxster and an SLK 230 over these identical roads, and you can feel the bumps but the car doesn't go into this crazy bounce bounce bounce rythmn like the Z does. It is very noticeable and anything that's in the back of the car wil actually jump up and down on the cargo deck! This is not normal. No other car does it. It is not a problem of a stiff ride. It only happens on certain roads, so some people may never encounter it.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:24 PM
droideka

Two comments:

1. I really wish some of you would pay attention to the goddamned comments regarding the suspension defects. This IS NOT about firmness of ride!!!! If anything, MY Z is not firm enough. There is a reverberating bounce in the rear suspension due to the stock shock not being able to sufficiently dampen the rebounding spring. If you don't feel it, fine. I contend that you are NOT in tune with your vehicle.

2. I'm not waiting on Nissan to do anything. Nissan unfortunately decided to tune this car to the minority instead of taking a cue from Honda and creating a driver-centric vehicle like the S2000. The .5% of tender-assed pansies that are buying the Z win. They are not enthusiasts. They are not on this forum. None the less, they are out there and the Z was tuned for them, NOT the hard-core enthusiast.

I've already ordered my NISMO S-Tune kit. Sure, Nissan wins and gets even more of my money, but in return I get a 1" drop, a lower center of gravity and a neutrally tuned ride. I can accept the costs for not having to fight a battle that will never be won.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Zoro

Default re thread

I noticed when I took my z on vacation to Niagra Fall last fall there was no bounce at all when the car was packed with luggage.

I took it out of storage for an oil change last week and it seemed worst than ever. Probably a combination of lifted concrete and not having driven it for 3 months.

It's still under 3000 miles I'd like to see that bouncy bounce problem resolved as well.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:43 PM
350z4steve

good thinking droidekaus ...let us know how the nismo kit works out also hks has a suspension setup as well im sure anything would beat stock as far as the rebounding is concerned.I wish more people would post any suspension mods they have done or any recommendations or comments after changing ..this thread is starting to get old..time to do something about it whatever that means in each of your cases. But why wait on nissan if there is something already better out there..?
Old 03-01-2003, 03:43 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Default Re: LOL

Originally posted by Heo2boy
I'm glad you cleared up the "BEST" thing. Have a good Day!!
huh?
Old 03-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Heo2boy

Default Re: Re: LOL

huh?
about a week ago I asked you was the 14.4 in the Z or the Maxima. I noticed you modified your sig. Thats all. Take care.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:26 PM
azjimbo

droidekaus if you wanted a car that drives like the S2000 why are you driving a Z?No flame intended.Just a question.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:48 PM
bunsell

Default bounce

Untill you drive on that certain type of road you will not know what he is talking about. Fortunately for me most of roads around here are not of that cement-gap-cement construction. The first time I drove on something like that, I think it was a bridge, I almost pulled over thinking something had broke in the suspension.

Quick Reply: Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop