Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jmark
I drove my dealer owners Touring Z and it drove just as I would want my Z too. Firm but complaint ride. Handled great. Test drove a new Enthusiasts Z and it had the bounce just like mine. Dealers mechanic says it is the 17" rims with the 50 series tires. Now what? Ideas?
I know I asked this later in jesse's post, but why did your dealer's tech equate it with the 17s? His experience or just what he heard? How big is your dealer's allocation of Zs? What is his proof?
Old 04-13-2003, 05:34 AM
jesseenglish

The touring had 17" wheels, but they weren't OE. They took the car down and had some cheesy *** chrome wheels installed. The tires were OE.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:39 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boomer,

The dealer is an average size Nissan dealership I guess. It has just been renovated. They had 6 or 7 new Z's. They plan to carry NISMO stuff. So that is a good thing. The tech was speaking from past experience with the Bridgestones. He said there were similar problems on the Altima with 17" rims. I didn't really believe him till I drove another Z (a brand new Enth.) and it rode just like mine.......There is more sidewall obviously on the 17" vs. the 18" rims so maybe that plays into it. I know Mr350z mentioned in an earlier post that the 18" wheels actually would ride better. I swear that my Z's bounce seems to be better as the temp goes up. Not quite sure why that is either. I am wondering if the RE040's are meant strictly for summer/performance driving and don't really work till you get some ambient temp. I am thinking of eventually putting the NISMO pkg. w/either some track or NISMO wheels on my Z. I better start saving......I really like the car I just wish NNA was being more understanding towards our problem(s). The saga continues.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:54 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by jmark
Boomer,

The dealer is an average size Nissan dealership I guess. It has just been renovated. They had 6 or 7 new Z's. They plan to carry NISMO stuff. So that is a good thing. The tech was speaking from past experience with the Bridgestones. He said there were similar problems on the Altima with 17" rims. I didn't really believe him till I drove another Z (a brand new Enth.) and it rode just like mine.......There is more sidewall obviously on the 17" vs. the 18" rims so maybe that plays into it. I know Mr350z mentioned in an earlier post that the 18" wheels actually would ride better. I swear that my Z's bounce seems to be better as the temp goes up. Not quite sure why that is either. I am wondering if the RE040's are meant strictly for summer/performance driving and don't really work till you get some ambient temp. I am thinking of eventually putting the NISMO pkg. w/either some track or NISMO wheels on my Z. I better start saving......I really like the car I just wish NNA was being more understanding towards our problem(s). The saga continues.
Yes, the 18s will ride better and the 17s will ride better at $2K out of your pocket for the S-Tune. The OE tires work better over 50 degrees, below that ambient temperature they are rubber rocks w/o grip one. Its your choice, but I will not buy the S-Tune, I'll go elsewhere.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:12 PM
zuffy

It's funny to read this thread and confirm my feelings about the bounce with the car.
I was so surprised that Nissan thought this was reasonable to sell as a race car...

I still love to drive it but it's not something i'm willing to wait around for. I'm looking at a fix in Australia. If anyone in Oz has tried new suspentions kits pls let me know?