Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Drove buddies RX8 for the night vs. my 350 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:59 PM
IronMedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

arent they supposed to revive the RX-7 or something?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Ztalker

mazda's decision to put the rotary engine in the RX8 is a BIG freakin mistake imo.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:28 PM
tienlo

I love my FD's as much as i hate the RX8.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:33 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

I think you guys are a bit harsh on the RX-8. I test drove the RX-8 and the Z, and personally felt more "at home" with the RX-8. It does handles better than the Z, but i imagine most you guys in the States don't care because most your roads are straight anyway. Here we've got twisties all over the place. The Z does have have more grunt, but the RX-8 feels more lively. If it had maybe another 40-50 horsepower i would have gone for it, but the Z is were the power is, so i went for that.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:49 PM
theanswer0127

Originally Posted by SLVRZ
Well, I don't know if anyone is interested in this or not but I was so I thought I would post. I have owned my 2005 350Z, base model, for about a year and when buying the vehicle one of the competitors in my mind was the Mazda RX8. Well after doing some comparison's and lot's of reading on the internet comparing hp, track numbers, and all that hooplah, as well as the base model was a bit cheaper and more up my alley I made my purchase. However, I always loved the look of the RX8's and though I did test drive one, was pretty conservative with the dealer in the vehicle. Well my friend just purchased the "Shinkra(sp?)" RX8 and he let me drive it for the night and these were my findings:
***I know, my base vs the Shinkra top of the line is not a perfect comparison, I should be comparing to a track model or GT, but this is what i had***
Speed comparison: There is none. Hand's down the 350z makes the RX8 feel like a civic. I have owned many sportscars in my driving career and the RX8 was simply un impressive from 0 mph.
Driving: The Rx8 is a fantastic car, don't let my humble speed comparison throw you, the thing can corner on a dime and is very nimble at your fingertips. To me the Z felt a little more connected to the road, but the Mazda just felt like it had less body roll.
Looks: The Rx8 in it's trim is an impressive looking car. Stock v Stock I think the Rx8 is a better, more aggressive looking vehicle. However, in the modified forms I think the Z far surpasses that of the RX8.
Interior: We all know where this is going. The Mazda's is better.Period. Feel more finished.
Exhaust: Hands down,the Z sounds better. Can barely hear the RX8

So I am by no degree someone to listen to when buying your car. The above are just some quick observations that I wanted to share in case other's are surfing now like I was a year ago trying to decide how to spend thir money. My observations maybe completely off but whatever. That's what I had to say. On that note, I am more comfortable now in my purchase than ever...so much so just bought some Axis Matrix rims for a victory award for my Z. Later guys.
Barry
ive driven my friend's rx8 and i completely agree with your observations.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:38 AM
007gt

RX8's handling is a little bit better than Z
i think this is the only point for that car
Old 08-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Spoiled Z

I just recently traded my 04 base RX8 to get the Z. Unfortunately I had auto but even with the manual hands down on the Z. IMHO the Z has better interior. I like the Z stock which I plan to keep it that way maybe drop some wheels and front lips but nothing else. With the RX8 it almost needs some sort of a kit cuz I didnt like the way it look stock at all.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 AM
jadaniya
Banned

you think maybe teh rx-8 feels like it handles better cuz you're going slower possibly? or is it just better?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:13 AM
NewJerZ

Thumbs down

Mazda's R&D Blueprints when they first masterminded the Amazing RX-8:

Hey! Let's give it 4 seats and a little door to enter the back seat!

NOW...Let's put big humps on the front wheel wells..to make it look tough..lol

NEXT...Give it an obsure design totally unrelated to the old RX-7 models to confuse the f*ck outta everybody and VOILA!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Spec_Tacular

Originally Posted by SLVRZ
Driving: The Rx8 is a fantastic car, don't let my humble speed comparison throw you, the thing can corner on a dime and is very nimble at your fingertips. To me the Z felt a little more connected to the road, but the Mazda just felt like it had less body roll.
I think you'll notice that that extra body roll will be due to the 17" wheels on your car. With 18 or 19" wheels you'll notice less roll from the tires.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:58 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I test drove an RX-8 a couple years ago back when I owned a Mazda6 (6-cylinder). It felt quicker than the mazda6, but not by much. I really wasn't impressed with the drive so much as I enjoyed the interior. One thing that mazda is doing well these days, in my opinion, is making the interior appear as though it comes with a more expensive car. Even the mazda6 had a nice interior for my taste. Regarding handling, I think it feels better on the RX-8 compared to the Z because the curb weight on the RX-8 is pretty low. I think it's somewhere between s2000 and Z teritory.

I think my main gripe with the RX-8 is the exterior styling. Without a body kit of some sort it just looks bulbous and weird to me. I mean what the crap were they thinking with those front fender flares. When you look at the car from directly above it looks like a *****. I won't be caught driving around in a **** car.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:12 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 181 BluZ
+1,000,000,000,000!!! The FD is sick!!!
+2,000,000,000,000

You know the last gen RX-7 is something special when you start seeing them sold on the televised portion of the Barret Jackson classic car auto auctions on the Speed channel (which I have seen).
Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by 007gt
RX8's handling is a little bit better than Z
i think this is the only point for that car
Nismo (or any) suspension solves that real quick...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ztalker
mazda's decision to put the rotary engine in the RX8 is a BIG freakin mistake imo.
LMAO!!!

Ummmmm....thats why its called the RX-8. If it didnt have the rotary, it wouldnt be called the Rx-8...maybe the mazda4 or something like that.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
TurboSteve

Originally Posted by kensin0429
yea rx8

is a NA engine bearly hear **** -.-

my friend haves one and i can smoke it like its hot

Old 08-21-2006, 02:48 PM
usmanasif

I never quite liked the RX-8 exterior; not even before my judgement was completely clouded by the Z. To me, the RX-8 looks more like a sedate sports coupe and lacks the aggressive voraciousness one expects from all aspects of a sports car. It never quite "did it" for me.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:21 PM
h8rain

I guess I am weird, but I think the interior quality is much higher in the Z. My wife had an auto and it ad so many problems. She grew to hate the car, so she has a bright green Scion xB now.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:03 PM
mavtais

I was allowed to scare the $#!+ out of the car salesman at my local Mazda dealer. The damn thing behaves very well, probably due to its lack of power. Does not oversteer, does not understeer. You can practically mash on the throttle in a turn well before the apex and not have to worry. Shifter felt kind of cheap. Brakes worked well, and the suspension kept the tires connected to the road, but it was almost boring.
My Z on the other hand, will understeer most of the time (Base with stock wheels and stock size tires). I have to stab at the brakes to induce oversteer and that's how I bested an RX-8 in an autocross back in May.
Final word: I bested an RX-8 in an autocross (with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3) when that car is supposed to handle better than mine.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:54 PM
fusionchicken

nice review by the OP imho. thanks

Quick Reply: Drove buddies RX8 for the night vs. my 350 base