Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove buddies RX8 for the night vs. my 350 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:05 PM
SLVRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove buddies RX8 for the night vs. my 350 base

Well, I don't know if anyone is interested in this or not but I was so I thought I would post. I have owned my 2005 350Z, base model, for about a year and when buying the vehicle one of the competitors in my mind was the Mazda RX8. Well after doing some comparison's and lot's of reading on the internet comparing hp, track numbers, and all that hooplah, as well as the base model was a bit cheaper and more up my alley I made my purchase. However, I always loved the look of the RX8's and though I did test drive one, was pretty conservative with the dealer in the vehicle. Well my friend just purchased the "Shinkra(sp?)" RX8 and he let me drive it for the night and these were my findings:
***I know, my base vs the Shinkra top of the line is not a perfect comparison, I should be comparing to a track model or GT, but this is what i had***
Speed comparison: There is none. Hand's down the 350z makes the RX8 feel like a civic. I have owned many sportscars in my driving career and the RX8 was simply un impressive from 0 mph.
Driving: The Rx8 is a fantastic car, don't let my humble speed comparison throw you, the thing can corner on a dime and is very nimble at your fingertips. To me the Z felt a little more connected to the road, but the Mazda just felt like it had less body roll.
Looks: The Rx8 in it's trim is an impressive looking car. Stock v Stock I think the Rx8 is a better, more aggressive looking vehicle. However, in the modified forms I think the Z far surpasses that of the RX8.
Interior: We all know where this is going. The Mazda's is better.Period. Feel more finished.
Exhaust: Hands down,the Z sounds better. Can barely hear the RX8

So I am by no degree someone to listen to when buying your car. The above are just some quick observations that I wanted to share in case other's are surfing now like I was a year ago trying to decide how to spend thir money. My observations maybe completely off but whatever. That's what I had to say. On that note, I am more comfortable now in my purchase than ever...so much so just bought some Axis Matrix rims for a victory award for my Z. Later guys.
Barry
Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Suvlaki

Thank you for your review.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
playa6tnine

rx-8 = crap.

z = no comparison.

rx-7 TT = different story.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 PM
ASTIG_Z

Originally Posted by playa6tnine
rx-8 = crap.

z = no comparison.

+1

The FD3 RX-7s are SICK!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
deezz

rx-8 = crap.

z = no comparison.

+1,000,000

RX8 is the oddest looking sports car around, besides the new Eclipse. No power. If you like your cars gimmicky, then the RX8 is for you.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:02 PM
justinrlamb00

my buddy just bought a new RX8...I tried to convince him to get a Z...but he got the Mazda instead...I'll post my thoughts when I ride in it in a few days.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:13 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The interior is awesome. A friend of mine use to own a single turbo rx-8. SLOW but damn sure looked good. he has the mazdaspeed body kit with the axis hiros.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:13 PM
kensin0429

yea rx8

is a NA engine bearly hear **** -.-

my friend haves one and i can smoke it like its hot
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 PM
181 BluZ

rx-8 = crap.

z = no comparison.

+1,000,000,000,000!!! The FD is sick!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 PM
MarlboroMan

My wife has a 2005 base 8 and I have a 2005 Touring Z (no big Home Depot trips for us). From a power perspective, the OP was right on, there simply is no comparison. I joke with her that the second hampster wakes up once she gets past 5k rpms.

But driving it hard around town, I think the 8's handling is spectacular. Makes the Z feel a little numb in comparison. The 8 has no problem out turning the Z, but once out of the corner, the Z can overtake the 8 at will.

Exterior looks - to each their own.

Interior looks - again, personal opinion. I like the clean look of the Z better. The Z's black plastic material could be a better quality imo.

Overall, it's all about personal taste. She likes the looks and handling of her car. In her words, it's the favorite of all the cars she's had. Me on the otherhand, I like the power and lack of cargo space of mine.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:32 PM
MPowerKai

the exhaust doesn't make any sound on the rx8, the noise you hear comes from the renesis engine itself. Rx8 is also not good competition for the 350z its good for rsx-s. a 350z and s2k would slaughter a rx8 hands down.
The gauge cluster in the rx8 is also very confusing, it's hard to see both rpms and speed at the same time. Also if you auto-x the thing you will notice the shifter is too far back for comfort
Old 08-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Zmazing03

It is good to see a honest review about the 8 vs Z. I personally was a former Rx7 owner, though I only owned a NA, 2nd Gen. I drove a Gen3, and it was stock, and that was a FUN car. However, I just like the feel of the Z better for some reason. The Gen3 was a damn fun car, and I might own one in the future to go with the Z.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
IronMedic

i had the unfortunate opportunity to own an 04 rx8 automatic. my x-wife would not drive a stick. i didnt mind the car but it was just boring. i like my Z much better.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:54 PM
highside107

Thanks for the review
Old 08-20-2006, 02:54 PM
The MVPlaya

RX-7 with a Fortune body kit....oooooooo weee...
Old 08-20-2006, 03:22 PM
bofa

I test drove an RX-8 last year. The salesman was bragging about the RPM redline and told me to stetch it out. I did. Anyway, it felt quick and was very fun to throw into a corner. However, now that I've driven the Z, there's no comparison.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 PM
norapat01

Originally Posted by SLVRZ
Well, I don't know if anyone is interested in this or not but I was so I thought I would post. I have owned my 2005 350Z, base model, for about a year and when buying the vehicle one of the competitors in my mind was the Mazda RX8. Well after doing some comparison's and lot's of reading on the internet comparing hp, track numbers, and all that hooplah, as well as the base model was a bit cheaper and more up my alley I made my purchase. However, I always loved the look of the RX8's and though I did test drive one, was pretty conservative with the dealer in the vehicle. Well my friend just purchased the "Shinkra(sp?)" RX8 and he let me drive it for the night and these were my findings:
***I know, my base vs the Shinkra top of the line is not a perfect comparison, I should be comparing to a track model or GT, but this is what i had***
Speed comparison: There is none. Hand's down the 350z makes the RX8 feel like a civic. I have owned many sportscars in my driving career and the RX8 was simply un impressive from 0 mph.
Driving: The Rx8 is a fantastic car, don't let my humble speed comparison throw you, the thing can corner on a dime and is very nimble at your fingertips. To me the Z felt a little more connected to the road, but the Mazda just felt like it had less body roll.
Looks: The Rx8 in it's trim is an impressive looking car. Stock v Stock I think the Rx8 is a better, more aggressive looking vehicle. However, in the modified forms I think the Z far surpasses that of the RX8.
Interior: We all know where this is going. The Mazda's is better.Period. Feel more finished.
Exhaust: Hands down,the Z sounds better. Can barely hear the RX8

So I am by no degree someone to listen to when buying your car. The above are just some quick observations that I wanted to share in case other's are surfing now like I was a year ago trying to decide how to spend thir money. My observations maybe completely off but whatever. That's what I had to say. On that note, I am more comfortable now in my purchase than ever...so much so just bought some Axis Matrix rims for a victory award for my Z. Later guys.
Barry
has to disagree with you there
I bought brand new RX-8 the Shinka edition same as your friend....own it for 2 month, then decide to sell it and get a Z. The interior from my point of view (RX-8) is down right piece of ****. Try park it under the sun when there're 95+ degree outside for 2 month, then see what'll happen to the interior.

So, I learn my lesson...Rx-8 = p.o.s (except for handling maybe)
Old 08-20-2006, 05:27 PM
thrill350z

why is the RX8 called a "sports car"?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:39 PM
NewJerZ

The RX-8 has those ugly humps on both sides in the front wheel well area.

This alone makes the car extremely unsightly....Maybe Madza will get their shyt together and build a REAL RX series car one of these days?

Maybe the RX-9 ??
Old 08-20-2006, 05:44 PM
ouch1011

I pretty much counted out the RX-8 when my brother drove a friends RX-8 with the manual and commented that his Mazda6 seemed faster. Said there was absolutely 0 power below about 4000rpm. I get bothered enough by the lack of power my engine has, I don't need a downgrade

Quick Reply: Drove buddies RX8 for the night vs. my 350 base