2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove buddies RX8 for the night vs. my 350 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 PM
streetracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing that really puzzles me is that Mazda has a high output 4 cycilder highly turbocharged engine finding its way to a lot of their cars. Why haven't the marketing geniuses of Mazda figured out this engine needs to be in the RX-8? It is after all their sport performance car. So I guess the mazdaspeed 3 series will be faster than the RX-8; that's pretty funny!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
FunneR567

Originally Posted by playa6tnine
rx-8 = crap.

z = no comparison.

rx-7 TT = different story.

+1
Old 08-22-2006, 04:14 PM
NewJerZ

Why do the damn rotary engines always have some oil related problem??

Maybe Mazda would be better off ditching the rotary design altogether.

It just isn't the revolutionary, ground breaking idea they thought it was years ago....
Old 08-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Zmazing03

Never!! Rotaries for life. The Rx8 better have a rotary. They are rare and they are unique, can't ever have an RX_ without a rotary, regardless of how bad they are on oil (and most get lousy gas mileage too).
Old 08-22-2006, 04:38 PM
luty77

I once considered to buy a Rx8 over the Z.
It's got good interior, comfy driver's cockpit, nice cornering that no car in
its price range could follow. But, Z is so much more sexy, more power, more
head-turning ***, and Rx8 doesn't make people say "I saw a rx8 today" to
their brothers and friends when they see one, but Z does LOL
Old 08-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
Mazda expects to recall RX-8s
Source: Automotive News
Automaker: Engines failing vacuum test must be replaced

MONTEREY, Calif. -- After suffering a black eye from disclosing that it won't count RX-8 owners' opinions in its internal customer-satisfaction scores, Mazda says it may have to replace the engines in many of its flagship sports cars.

The voluntary recall of all 2004 and 2005 vehicles, and some 2006s, is expected to be announced this week or next. It involves damage to the catalyst resulting from oil leaks in the RX-8's rotary engine.

Any engine that does not pass a vacuum test must be replaced, said Robert Davis, head of product development and quality at Mazda North American Operations.

Engines prone to failing the test are mostly in hot climates and use synthetic oils.

Mazda also will check each RX-8's battery and starter, which tend to fail in cold climates.

"We're going to give these cars the white-glove treatment," Davis said. "We would rather replace the engine than have the dealer crack them open."

Davis would not disclose the projected failure rate of the engines or the cost to replace them.

Mazda has a remanufacturing center in North Carolina that will rebuild faulty engines and return them to service.

The recall comes after a video Webcast by two dealers who attended the July 11-13 National Dealer Advisory Council meetings in Newport Beach, Calif., was leaked on the Internet.

In the video, dealers said problems with the RX-8 were unfairly lowering Mazda customer-satisfaction scores.

Mazda informed the dealers that RX-8 owners would continue to be surveyed, but that the responses would not factor into dealer
customer-satisfaction scores.

Mazda has issued service bulletins on such trouble spots as squeaky
brakes and engine flooding
Told ya...BIG freakin mistake.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:31 PM
zero0 2 sixty

BREING BAK THE RX-7

2010 RX-7= nice
Old 08-22-2006, 06:40 PM
SnakeBitten

In a straight line the Z will smoke an RX8...But the car shines on a roadcourse...The Z will be hard pressed to blow away the RX8 on a roadcurse...Look at the example of Top Gear...It lists the RX8, 350z and E46 M3 with the same exact time....So the car may lack grunt, or sexy looks but its a very potent track car and that is what Mazda focused on...
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Zmazing03

Yes, but how many miles do you drive on the road course? The Rx8 handling is beautiful, just like every other Rx made (Zoom Zoom!), but I think HP intrigues more people than handling does, hence the Z over Rx8. Different strokes for different folks.

The thing that really puzzles me is that Mazda has a high output 4 cycilder highly turbocharged engine finding its way to a lot of their cars. Why haven't the marketing geniuses of Mazda figured out this engine needs to be in the RX-8?
Problem is that every other Mazda has a Ford engine in it. Mazda branded parts are on their way out, Ford are on their way in. The only thing Japanese left with Mazda is the conceputal ideas. (note: this is a BAD thing)
Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 AM
branks33

The rx8 really isnt a slow car i know because i have one, it may not feel fast but its not bad, doesnt really have a power band, ill be honest its slow until you get to 6k, after that its quite impressive. as for the rx-7 they are very unreaible oil leaking pos, there fast yea. any ways i think the 8 would out handle a z anyday its perfect for twisties because of its lack of torque. i recently drove a buddies z and fell in love and im trade the 8 in for the Z. i know its my first post but just decided to give you my .02.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by branks33
its perfect for twisties because of its lack of torque.
This makes no sense at all. So, by using you're logic, a Ferrari/Lamborghini is not good in the twisities then??

Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetracer
The thing that really puzzles me is that Mazda has a high output 4 cycilder highly turbocharged engine finding its way to a lot of their cars. Why haven't the marketing geniuses of Mazda figured out this engine needs to be in the RX-8? It is after all their sport performance car. So I guess the mazdaspeed 3 series will be faster than the RX-8; that's pretty funny!
I wonder what rx means??

I have a turbocharged 4 piston rotary too....
Old 08-23-2006, 06:46 AM
roast

Originally Posted by camaro194
This makes no sense at all. So, by using you're logic, a Ferrari/Lamborghini is not good in the twisities then??

Sure it does. When youre a clueless and inexperienced driver, you have no torque to bite you on the ***. Makes perfect sense!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:56 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by roast
I wonder what rx means??

I have a turbocharged 4 piston rotary too....
Hi bake. Mr knowsitall attacks again. I know the engine is not rotary dumbass. Who gives a sh*t what the RX stands for; if the rotary is not working sales wise, change the thing and put the other one.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:58 AM
streetracer

Sure it does. When youre a clueless and inexperienced driver, you have no torque to bite you on the ***. Makes perfect sense!
I wonder what ever made you so special...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:52 AM
roast

Hi bake. Mr knowsitall attacks again. I know the engine is not rotary dumbass. Who gives a sh*t what the RX stands for; if the rotary is not working sales wise, change the thing and put the other one.
English is not your cup of tea, that's ok. Many people here speak english as a second language. No harm, no foul.

You're the one talking about putting a turbocharged piston engine into a car and labeling it a rotary, and you dare call me a dumbass. How quaint.

I wonder what ever made you so special...
I don't know, but whenever I find out I will let you know.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:26 AM
streetracer

I don't know, but whenever I find out I will let you know.
I'm surprised you don't know already since you're full of it. Hasn't the stench hit you yet?

On another note, show me the rock that says an RX7 must be rotary? Why? I think a piston engine makes perfect sense. And that turbo 4, making almost 300 hp, would blow by your arrogant *** doors off.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:47 AM
roast

I'm surprised you don't know already since you're full of it. Hasn't the stench hit you yet?

On another note, show me the rock that says an RX7 must be rotary? Why? I think a piston engine makes perfect sense. And that turbo 4, making almost 300 hp, would blow by your arrogant *** doors off.
Awww.... it's ok cupcake.

Just becasue you said something inanely stupid and I called you on it doesn't mean you have to cry.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:53 AM
streetracer

Wink

Just because it is stupid to you doesn't mean it is stupid. Everyone doesn't have to think like you. We are all educated professionals, so respect the opinions of others and they will respect you, cupcake.

Quick Reply: Drove buddies RX8 for the night vs. my 350 base