Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

does owning a Z stress you out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Ichigo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never noticed soooo many people in my way while driving before.....

Last edited by Ichigo; 08-22-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:58 PM
NewJerZ

Originally Posted by dkorr
, i dont stay at my gf's house too long...

sometimes i wish i had my old civic back...
What if your GF put on a sexy Victoria Secret's Teddy, just as you were ready to leave???

I'd bet you forget all about the Z....I know I would!!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Malic350

I can't lie dkorr at first I was so protective and cautious and had to be in it or see it at all times but now (not to say I don't watch or take care of it) I don't let it run me. Someone scratched me on my passenger door lower part and I almost cried that's when I knew i had a problem lol. I bought the touch up paint for like $11 but noticed when my car is waxed (all the time now) that you really can't see it - thank goodness.

It's a car, a nice one and funnest & sexiest I've ever owned but still a car.

Drive the car (crazy if u like) - Don't let it drive you (crazy)!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Zmazing03

figure out ware I got it from since I park like the farther than anyone and park it a certain spot ware there only can be 1 car next to me and I make sure its afar away from that as posible.
If I can't find a spot where there is no one around or one side only can be protected, I just park next to the nearest BMW or Mercedes. If you ever watched the average BMW owner step out of their car, they are very careful not to hit another car because it will damage *their* door.

So rule of thumb. First, aim for both sides empty. Then try and settle for just one, next to an island or something, and then just park next to the most expensive car on the lot, preferably one on each side.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:34 PM
bjchang

Default License plate numbers fallible

To the poster who threw a brick threw another guy's windshield, I hope you meant you took down the license plate numbers when you parked and when you came back and they were the same (or you were joking), because if not your logic is seriously flawed.

Consider this scenario. A Ferrari owner parks in a space, goes about his business. Some jerk parks next to him, scratches the Ferrari, and leaves. You then park your Z next to the Ferrari in the same space. You notice the Ferrari's door is already scratched. However, as a car enthusiast, you are respectful of such a beautiful car, and you carefully exit and your car, being sure not to give the Ferrari another scratch. You go about your business (at the mall, movies, whatever).

However, while you are away, the Ferrari owner came back, thought you scratched his car (when it was really the car before you), took down your license plate number, tracked you down, and threw a brick through your windshield. You are then pissed that you randomly got a brick through your windshield for no good reason. How frustrating would that be?

The reverse could happen too. Ferrari owner parks next to you, takes down your license plate, goes about his business. You come back and leave. Some jerk takes your space, dents the Ferrari, and leaves before the Ferrari owner comes back, leaving the angry Ferrari owner with a scratched car, an empty space next to him, and only your information to work with. Either way you get a brick in your Z even though you didn't scratch anybody's car.

Point is, depending on how long you are gone and whether or not the same cars are next to you when you get back as when you left, the license plate number you take down is not necessarily the number of the person who did it, and I bet that's what the police will tell you if you go to them with a license plate number complaining about a scratch. The only way to be somewhat sure is to take down the license plate numbers when you park the car and when you come back to the car, and if it's the same car both times, you can bet that's the car that scratched yours. And personally, I'd rather have the police tracking down all the murders, rapists, and child molesters than worrying about the scratch on my car. A door panel can be replaced...

For the record though, I totally know how you feel. When my dad was nice enough to let me drive his NSX, I parked that thing as far from anybody else as possible because if it got scratched while I was driving it, it'd be me who'd have to face my father's wrath...
Old 08-22-2006, 04:36 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by NewJerZ
What if your GF put on a sexy Victoria Secret's Teddy, just as you were ready to leave???

I'd bet you forget all about the Z....I know I would!!
I'd still leave. But I'd take her with me.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:38 PM
bjchang

Default Followup point

Of course, if you can see your car's paint residue on the door of the car next to yours, you know who the culprit is. In that case, find the nearest brick...
Old 08-22-2006, 04:46 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by bjchang
For the record though, I totally know how you feel. When my dad was nice enough to let me drive his NSX, I parked that thing as far from anybody else as possible because if it got scratched while I was driving it, it'd be me who'd have to face my father's wrath...
The NSX as we all know is all aluminum body...which dents very easily.

911-88-Accord Theory

I have a theory. I notice that when people park next to a Porsche or some near-exotic car, they're a little more careful when opening the door than say an 88 Accord. I know I would. Last week after I parked the car I waited until someone parks next to me. People didnt open their doors a little more 'gingerly'. But then it varies from person-to-person. Wondering if a Z that's in great shape will induce more careful door-openers than a bashed-up one. Just a theory. Of course it could backfire. A nice, clean car can bring out the haters.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.

I don't park at movie theaters, malls, chinese malls, bad neighborhoods, outdoors overnight, tight spaces, airports, etc etc...

That's why I'm buying a beater...
Old 08-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Salamander

I went to chicago for hot import nights and didn't take my Z. I heard a lot of people tell me to be careful if I do. I also heard some one tell me a story of how they went the previous years and saw a person come back to a car sitting on cinder blocks and the the engine was gone. But when I got there it felt like all the stories were people getting too scared. Because I saw nothing of that sort. Anyways I come back home to find that my cabinet in my garage fell on top of my hood while I was gone and i have 5 dents on the hood and two pretty good scrapes. I can't begin to explain the angry that took over me. Nothing i could do about it though. Accidents happen.

I still feel you a hundred percent about parking way out there to avoid dings. But now you got another problem car thiefs, since the car is farther away from witnesses. You can never run away from your problems, because new ones always are created.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sadly I got a door ding within the first month I had that car Sucksss. I park my car fairly far enough from other cars to protect it from dings but it doesn't protect me from theft! So that's still stressful. I'm always paranoid walking out of place to see a shattered window.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:47 PM
godmans

is it me or is the Z car ownership experience kind of stressful? i've owned many cars before (Acura/Honda/Toyota/Mazda) and never been so stressed out over door dings, hit n runs, scratches, keying, accidents, break ins, etc.

my car is only worth $27,000 but feels like i own something more substantial.

some lifestyle changes.... i notice i tend to eat faster in restaurants, i always pick a seat near the window in full view of my car, i park as far away as possible in shopping mall lots, i dont work past 530pm (i park in downtown), i dont stay at my gf's house too long...

+1
it is just differentiating between a car enthusiast versus some people who use the Z as a daily driver
Old 08-22-2006, 05:56 PM
glowz825

I am extremely stressed out when I leave my car unattended in any parking lot.The first brand new car I owned was an 01 celica gts and I was very protective of it.One day I park my car way out in the parking lot where there were few cars and some hillbilly in a brand new ford truck parks right next to me,when he pulls up Im about 20 ft away from my car then I hear the door to door thud.I turn around and walk back and tell the guy he is a douche bag and he is going to pay for that,he laughs and I said keep laughin' hillbilly.As I watch him walk into the store the fury within was uncontrolable.I kicked in his door so bad I made his driver side window break.Did I feel bad? A little.But I think he got what he deserved
Old 08-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Tenac1ousZ

is it me or is the Z car ownership experience kind of stressful? i've owned many cars before (Acura/Honda/Toyota/Mazda) and never been so stressed out over door dings, hit n runs, scratches, keying, accidents, break ins, etc.

my car is only worth $27,000 but feels like i own something more substantial.

some lifestyle changes.... i notice i tend to eat faster in restaurants, i always pick a seat near the window in full view of my car, i park as far away as possible in shopping mall lots, i dont work past 530pm (i park in downtown), i dont stay at my gf's house too long...

When I'm geting laid, I fantasize about my Z
Old 08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
I'm now into 3 1/2 years without a ding and still follow strengent rules on parking & where the Z can go (no malls or movie theaters, etc).

"how did you go thru life in the past 3.5 yrs without going to a mall or cinema?"

Two answers: (1) I buy almost everything through internet sites & catelogs.
(2) if I must go to a high traffic area, I take the Highlander.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 PM
bhendjol
achoooooo

Lol.
Try owning a G35.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

stressed out constantly modding this thing. as for thinking its more then it really is, i'm more humble about it. i just drive a nissan but i love it.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:27 AM
thrill350z

my Z is a daily driver and I've learned how to park to avoid door dings. at work I park near the enterance in a no parking zone where I get blocked in which is ok bc I'm usually last to leave, when parking in lots I choose my spot carefully and sometimes will walk a longer distance, when parking next to someone I won't pull in all the way, just enough that I'm in the spot and if a door was to ding me it would be near the fender which is less likely to leave a noticable spot, I've also resorted to using a handicap sticker to park in bigger spots but if I'm bouncing at a club or going to the beach or somewhere where the car will be unattended for a long period of time I will take my other car
Old 08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
dkorr

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
I agree.

I don't park at movie theaters, malls, chinese malls, bad neighborhoods, outdoors overnight, tight spaces, airports, etc etc...

Chinese malls? what are you saying about Chinese drivers? they tend to drive the nicest cars around.

Last edited by dkorr; 08-23-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:53 AM
NewJerZ

Ummm...I think he might have been referring to the fact that many Asians historically have been poor drivers.

Quick Reply: does owning a Z stress you out?