Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

does owning a Z stress you out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 AM
dkorr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does owning a Z stress you out?

is it me or is the Z car ownership experience kind of stressful? i've owned many cars before (Acura/Honda/Toyota/Mazda) and never been so stressed out over door dings, hit n runs, scratches, keying, accidents, break ins, etc.

my car is only worth $27,000 but feels like i own something more substantial.

some lifestyle changes.... i notice i tend to eat faster in restaurants, i always pick a seat near the window in full view of my car, i park as far away as possible in shopping mall lots, i dont work past 530pm (i park in downtown), i dont stay at my gf's house too long...

sometimes i wish i had my old civic back...
Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 AM
AWDBall20

hahahhaha i walked out to my car and saw i got my first ding on the passenger side door and bowed my head..hahha not as stressed as you though.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Brick-Z

We are talking about your car correct? Who the heck changes their lifestyle just because they have a Z. No offense but I would suggest living your life and not worrying about something which is out of your control anyhow.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:49 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I know what you mean.

I got my first door ding and I WAS FURIOUSE! I tried and figure out ware I got it from since I park like the farther than anyone and park it a certain spot ware there only can be 1 car next to me and I make sure its afar away from that as posible.

I also make sure I dont leave my car in bad spaces for too long and I even dont park if I dont feel comfortable in the spot. I due get stressed out at times but then I told myself, "Its going to happen no matter what I do". I still park FAR FAR away but if I get too many dings Im just going to cover it up with some VINYL.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:50 AM
nothingremains

i feel your pain and do most of those things as well!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:04 AM
MeetJoeAsian

man..when I saw my first door ding coming out of a club, I screamed my head out in the parking lot....i went furious....so now, I don't park next to 2 door cars cuz of their huge doors, and I hate parking in tight parking spaces, I park way out in that case....and I got into a habit or writing down license plates of cars next to mine...and I dropped a brick into someone's back window after i found out where he lived...
Old 08-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Miko

Ok, so there's two cars next to you, and you write down their plate #s. You come back, and see a ding from the car that has now left. What can you do, in terms of filing reports, etc..? I thought you can't do much, but what do I know.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:19 AM
behjjeh
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dkorr
is it me or is the Z car ownership experience kind of stressful? i've owned many cars before (Acura/Honda/Toyota/Mazda) and never been so stressed out over door dings, hit n runs, scratches, keying, accidents, break ins, etc.

some lifestyle changes.... i notice i tend to eat faster in restaurants, i always pick a seat near the window in full view of my car, i park as far away as possible in shopping mall lots, i dont work past 530pm (i park in downtown), i dont stay at my gf's house too long...

same.. here i had Lexus and never stressed out over door dings.. but now i do..
Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 AM
woodstock300s

i do the same thing and yes it is stressful...but thats what a second car is for...i bought a used 350z so i could keep my pos elantra
Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Most of us feel the same way to one degree or another. Heck, our Highlander SUV cost more than my Z but, non-the-less, the Z receives more special treatment.

I'm now into 3 1/2 years without a ding and still follow strengent rules on parking & where the Z can go (no malls or movie theaters, etc).

Its a cool car regardless of price.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 AM
dkorr

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
man..when I saw my first door ding coming out of a club, I screamed my head out in the parking lot....i went furious....so now, I don't park next to 2 door cars cuz of their huge doors, and I hate parking in tight parking spaces, I park way out in that case....and I got into a habit or writing down license plates of cars next to mine...and I dropped a brick into someone's back window after i found out where he lived...
its easy to enter their plate numbers with your cellphone note pad i guess. how did you find out where they live from just the plates? maybe a brick thru the windshield is a bit heavy handed. i think keying the car will do, and add a note saying 'next time be more careful parking next to my Z'
Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 AM
dkorr

Originally Posted by Brick-Z
We are talking about your car correct? Who the heck changes their lifestyle just because they have a Z. No offense but I would suggest living your life and not worrying about something which is out of your control anyhow.
maybe HABITS is the correct word to use.

i care about my Z; dunno about you.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
dkorr

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
I'm now into 3 1/2 years without a ding and still follow strengent rules on parking & where the Z can go (no malls or movie theaters, etc).

how did you go thru life in the past 3.5 yrs without going to a mall or cinema?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Hashiriya

I used to get stressed out, but its a car, and my daily driver, its going to show some wear. But things can be fixed, and I have full coverage. So far the Z looks as good as new.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:56 AM
SSZVirginia

Its a car. The front end looks like its been sandblasted and I have a few scratches but I don't let it get to me.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
daz311x

doesnt stress me out and i wouldnt change my lifestyle just cause i own a nissan.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:06 AM
MRfire

Really doesn't bother me much anymore (after 3 years). I just try to park in between nicer cars. If you park out in the open or take up extra spots, you're just asking for trouble.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 AM
z-u-later

I'm glad I'm not the only one **** about where to park my Z to avoid those door chips/dings. My friends actually laugh at me when they see me walk from one end of the parking lot when there were plenty of parking space in-between.

The key to parking is finding a place to parallel park next to a curb. You avoid the cars on either side. You will be suprise at how good you get to finding these parking spaces once you get use to it.

I agree with the other posters about not taking the Z to the movie theaters, shopping centers or grocery stores. That's when you take your daily driver (if you have one).
Old 08-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Starchecker

I've got three frickin dings in my car, I thought the second one was really bad, until the third one came -- it looks like some moron backed into my passenger door with a cement truck!

I finally figured out it happens at the grocery store. So now I park way the heck out of the way.

I too like to park near the window of the restaurant and watch over my car, just because I enjoy the view!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Suvlaki

I do some of these things.. but the others sound just plain dumb.

I enjoy my food at reastaurants but try to pick a seat near a window, not to keep an eye on my car, but to have a nice view of my glorious Z. And not staying at ur gf's house too long?! Ugh...

Quick Reply: does owning a Z stress you out?