Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

cvtcs Q's(aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Rev-em-hard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cvtcs Q's(aftermarket)

hey guys,i just got the 06 350z and i used to have a 96 200sx se-r with an SR20VE NEOVVL (variable valve lift and timing) in the car.It was like haveng an sr20 with vtec and a high compression.some honduh buddies of mine even said it sounds more aggressive then any honda when the cams kicked in.my question is:

has anybody with the cvtcs system on the 06 z tried tweeking/modding this system to improve performance?I have done some searching and all i see is that some people have talked about puttin on a nismo cam timing pully and changing the intake cam,but what about adjusting the system we already have.If i am correct then the reason for the exaust vvl on the 06 is to decrease imissions due to no EGR system.so mabey if we could figure out a way to open the exaust cam up to improve power rather then to improve imissions then we could see some realpower gains.it just doesnt seem like the new rev-up is putting out all it should be.it feels as if nissan de-tuned it for imissions reasons more than most cars.My VVl on my sr20 was way more agressive and i know it will feel that way being that it is a new system in the z(constant rather then rpm engaged). any thoughts?lets break some barriers people!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:08 PM
aren21

Interesting, but I havent heard of anyone doing anything like that to the Z. Hopefully someone can help out.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Rev-em-hard

I'm the motha****in guinea pig! lets do it!gonna reasearch if this new system is sylinoid activated and if so then we are in buisness!if it is indeed sylinoid activated then all we gotta do is activate the cams with a greddy e-manage ultimate and the e-manage will control the cam timing if we can figure out how to disable the factory system that adjusts the timing and lift depending on throttle position,load,ect,ect...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Rev-em-hard

uh bump....
Old 08-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Rev-em-hard

afternoon bump. 50 views but no reply.common guys.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:40 AM
GMZ

Nice idea, sounds easy to foul up if you dont know what youre doing though
Old 08-25-2006, 07:05 AM
plumpzz

FYI- its a 350Z, not a 350ZX
Old 08-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Rev-em-hard

for your info,the motor in the sx wasnt the factory one and it is people like you that dont think outside the box that cause these limits for our cars.the z has more potential,i know it, just gotta try the unknown.we'll see what you say in a year or so when i get back from iraq and actually have time to play with this thing and get a pinout diagram of the ecu.have a great army day!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by Rev-em-hard
for your info,the motor in the sx wasnt the factory one and it is people like you that dont think outside the box that cause these limits for our cars.the z has more potential,i know it, just gotta try the unknown.we'll see what you say in a year or so when i get back from iraq and actually have time to play with this thing and get a pinout diagram of the ecu.have a great army day!
Uhh.. I think he was talking about your signature (the model of the car is "350Z", not "350ZX"). And it's spelled "solenoid", not "sylinoid". Anyway, enough nit-picking; your idea sounds good, let us know how it turns out! Be safe out there in Iraq.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Rev-em-hard

holy ****! oops,my bad guys.i didnt even look and see that i had zx in my sig.oh how funny,sorry.yeah incase you guys cant tell,i am dislexic.let you guys know how it goes
Old 08-26-2006, 10:35 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

CVTC is roughly eqivalent to Honda's iVTEC.

The "changeover" point is relatively low (perhaps even as low as 2000 RPM), and continually is adjusted as the engine RPMs rise.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Rev-em-hard

there only two diferent size lobes on each cam, right?if thats the case then we should be able to manually control the switch points and timing.also if the cams are engaged at a low rpm then mabey we need to fab up some more aggressive cams so that we may be able to engauge them around 4000 rpm for the exaust cam and 5600 for the intake cam.That way we will have even more torque on the low rpms and higher hp on the higher rpms.A/F may be another issue cause once larger lobes are engauged then more fuel will be needed,so an S-afc with richer settings after cams are engauged should do the trick,or something similar for that matter.I will be doing the research while i am in iraq and when i get back,i will look at the motor,ecu,ect more thoroughly and see if this can even be done.I have heard of people playin with the i-vtec and sein some pretty good gains.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 PM
PDX_Racer

The "C" stands for "Continuous".

There's no real "switchover" point like VTEC or VVTC.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:47 PM
plumpzz

theres a point however when the cam begins to shift. From the way my exhaust note suddenly changes, it feels like its around 3600rpm.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Rev-em-hard

there is indeed a switch point.but i think it is not a set rpm that it switches at,but rather a set load or throttle position.the main issue i am having with this system is that the exaust cam is vvl only to control emmisions and not to gain power,but it can be used to gain power instead. So that is what i am trying to do.I want to take away the swithcover from load and throttle position and make it a set rpm and possibly change the cams out with some more aggressive cams.so basicly, i am gona try to convert the cvtc to a system more like the neovvl or vtec.it can be done i just need to figure how.but our cars do have soleinoids so its all a matter of having a set rpm switchpoint and the cams to support it.timing is obviosly controled by the ecu and will need to be changed.so basicly i am gona need:

new more aggressive cams to support the set rpm switchpoint
and a piggyback that will control timing,A/F,and rpm activated swtich

and then all i would have to do is override the factory system.the hardest part will be the cams.the reason our cars dont see as much power gain from cvtc is because the cams were made to be switched at any rpm range(within reason) and therefore will not be as aggressive due to low rpm switchpoint at WOT.I am finding out more and more about this everyday.somebodyelse chime in and let me know if this info sounds accurate.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
CVTC is roughly eqivalent to Honda's iVTEC.

The "changeover" point is relatively low (perhaps even as low as 2000 RPM), and continually is adjusted as the engine RPMs rise.
And this is where the idea goes wrong. You both are assuming that the CVTC is like VTEC. It is NOT. Not by a long shot. "Rev-em-hard", I dig the VE swap you did in your old ride, more power to you. But timing and lift are different. Your VE was like VTEC, where the cams have two different lobes. One for high rpm and one for low. This is variable lift, not timing. The newer iVTEC from Honda has variable timing on the intake as well as variable lift. Nissan CVTC is variable timing only. That's it, no high rpm lobe to switch to. The system continuously varies cam timing, controling valve overlap, throughout the rpm range. There is no "switchover" point because there's nothing to swith to, no high rpm lobe or anyhting. The cam is simply rotated slightly to advance or retard the timing of when the valves open. The lift remains the same. The timing is adjusted from idle, right to redline. The Nismo CVTC allows a broader range of timing adjustment, to help control overlap on high lift aftermarket cams, specifically their S2 package. Ritchie in Australia has this exact set-up on his car, and uses a Motec M600 to control it all the way to his 8000rpm redline. Hope this helps clear things up for ya,
Will
Old 08-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Rev-em-hard

wow. ok.......well then i guess the i-vtec guys are gaining power by adjusting the VVT? is this right?and if so then can we do the same?thanks resolute for clearing things up for me.so now i guess i need to find a way to make the VVT give more power.hmmmm.....time to start all over again.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:42 PM
PDX_Racer

Originally Posted by Resolute
And this is where the idea goes wrong. You both are assuming that the CVTC is like VTEC.
Nope, I was simply stating that CVTC is more like iVTEC, and trying (gently) to explain why "VTEC-like mods" won't get the same results -- because there isn't a "second cam profile" to change to.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rev-em-hard
wow. ok.......well then i guess the i-vtec guys are gaining power by adjusting the VVT? is this right?and if so then can we do the same?thanks resolute for clearing things up for me.so now i guess i need to find a way to make the VVT give more power.hmmmm.....time to start all over again.
No, the i-vtec guys are gaining power by changing the cam switch, just like you can do on your VE. The VTEC uses an almost identical hydraulic follower like the Neo VVL Nissan uses in your VE. The cams have two lobes and by swiching to the more aggressive lobe sooner, more power might be had. In our case, the cam lobe makes contact with a single shim, or "bucket" that acts directly on the valve. The bucket covers the valve spring retainer and the top of the spring itself. The CVTC system simply changes when the valve is opened by making the cam lobe push on it either sooner or later than top dead center. This action is continuous throughout the rpm range. Overlap between when the exhaust valve and intake valve are both open can be beneficial at high rpm, so the system does so. Conversly, at low rpm, the amount of overlap is dialed out. The newer VQ35's have variable timing on both cams, while the earlier ones have the CVTC on just the intake side. There is very little you can do to make power with the stock system. To use the CVTC for more power, the NIMSO CVTC set can be used with more aggressive cams to keep idle under control with little overlap, and allow them to make more power at high rpm. Of course, this requires a new cam set and the NISMO CVTC cam gears, as well as a ECU mod to control them as well as manage fuel and spark at higher rpm to see the real benefit. This is why the only one to have done this, that I know of, is Ritchie and he has used the MOtec m600 to control everything, which was all tuned by Nizpro in Australia. In short, tuning with the CVTC is not beneficial with the stock cams or system, and is going to be expensive to see any real gains from aftermarket options.
Will
Old 08-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Rev-em-hard

What Kind Of Gains Did He See?

Quick Reply: cvtcs Q's(aftermarket)