Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

1/4 mile times?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:16 PM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

While 1/4 mile times are important with high performance cars that isn't the most important stat to me when looking for a sports car.

I test drove a 2007 Mustang GT with polished 18" rims yesterday. I was curious to see if I might be interested in one. I have been thinking about getting rid of the Z and getting something else.

Needless to say I was less than impressed with the Mustang. Even though the car is larger the interior feels about the same size as the Z. The gauges are small and hard to read, especially in the sunlight. The hood is long and tall in the middle reducing visibility. Although it has adequete headroom the windshield seems short. I felt like I was looking down to see out of it.

The sound of the V8 is sweet and it has lots of torque, but it doesn't feel like it really pulls hard until around 3000 rpm. The GT rides well, and actually handles better than I thought, but not like the Z. The worse things to me were the shifter and the steering. The throws are long and the shifter hard to engage when compared with the Z. The steering is very light and doesn't give much feedback. Lastly you can tell the GT is heavy.

The GT is more of a grand tourer. The Z is more like a slot car. I would rather have the Z.

That is not to say that the GT isn't a huge bang for the buck and rather inexpensive to modify. I just prefer the smaller, lighter and more nimble Z. Of course it probably isn't fair to compare my modified Z to a stock GT, but in the end its still like comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited by ZPirate; 08-30-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Rumbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe T
Good luck selling your truck, mines been for sale for 2 months and I'm not asking a pretty penny for it either. I might just fire sell it real cheap just to get rid of it. I'd keep it because I like it, but I need a bigger truck. So it is a used 1 ton and a sports car in my future.

Have fun.
i think I might just trade it in and say I will give the truck + 5k for a used Z still under warrenty.
My trucks a special edition that was offered by dodge, and its out there so I think I might be able to get decent amount for it. And yea, its got a hemi :-D People think I should just keep my truck and take the 5k and invest it in a turbo or supercharger for my truck, take it to 500hp but I rather have something more of a daily driver.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Rumbler

Originally Posted by ricochet
For the record, I love my Z (except for when my RT cats crapped out) but...

For raw power, the old saying goes "there's no replacement for displacement"...

And if you want to know what $100K to mod a Z or a new 05+ Mustang GT and stick pro-drivers and take it on a road course will do then you have to look no further than Grand Am Racing... the real "stock car" racing... and you'll see that the 'stang has had a lot more success.

...But for everyday driving excitement, friday night drags, and weekend open track, the Z's a winner.

... My 2 cents

my girlfriends step dad, has a g35 coupe and an old 280z turbo as his old first race car, he used to do formula1 when about 10 years ago. He said he wants to take me to the track with his g35 and if I get a Z we can mess around.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Rumbler

Originally Posted by ZPirate
While 1/4 mile times are important with high performance cars that isn't the most important stat to me when looking for a sports car.

I test drove a 2007 Mustang GT with polished 18" rims yesterday. I was curious to see if I might be interested in one. I have been thinking about getting rid of the Z and getting something else.

Needless to say I was less than impressed with the Mustang. Even though the car is larger the interior feels about the same size as the Z. The gauges are small and hard to read, especially in the sunlight. The hood is long and tall in the middle reducing visibility. Although it has adequete headroom the windshield seems short. I felt like I was looking down to see out of it.

The sound of the V8 is sweet and it has lots of torque, but it doesn't feel like it really pulls hard until around 3000 rpm. The GT rides well, and actually handles better than I thought, but not like the Z. The worse things to me were the shifter and the steering. The throws are long and the shifter hard to engage when compared with the Z. The steering is very light and doesn't give much feedback. Lastly you can tell the GT is heavy.

The GT is more of a grand tourer. The Z is more like a slot car. I would rather have the Z.

That is not to say that the GT isn't a huge bang for the buck and rather inexpensive to modify. I just prefer the smaller, lighter and more nimble Z. Of course it probably isn't fair to compare my modified Z to a stock GT, but in the end its still like comparing apples and oranges.
why would you get rid of your z?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:16 AM
ZedNewbie

Old 08-31-2006, 04:20 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumbler
why would you get rid of your z?
Same reason anybody gets a new car. I have had it almost 4 years and would like something new. I usually turn over my other vehicles every three years. Plus cars improve with every passing year. There is always something newer, faster and better handling out there.

Then again I might just keep it. I have alot of money tied up in mods that I won't get back if I sell it and like I said I would rather have the Z than the Mustang GT. I might be interested in a C6 with a six speed and the Z51 package though.

Last edited by ZPirate; 08-31-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Joe T

i think I might just trade it in and say I will give the truck + 5k for a used Z still under warrenty.
My trucks a special edition that was offered by dodge, and its out there so I think I might be able to get decent amount for it. And yea, its got a hemi :-D People think I should just keep my truck and take the 5k and invest it in a turbo or supercharger for my truck, take it to 500hp but I rather have something more of a daily driver.
Maybe $16K for a used Z...

I plan on getting a used V10 dully and selling my 04 truck for whatever I can get for it, then picking up a Z. Dealer is gonna *** you on trade in on a big gas hog. My truck is a loaded out sport reg cab hemi etc.. and I can't sell that SOB for ****. The worst thing is it doesn't do too bad on fuel on the hwy for having 350+ hp and being a big tank.

I love it but it doesn't do what I want, plus I want to start leasing so I can trade up without any hassles every 3 years.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Rumbler

Maybe $16K for a used Z...

I plan on getting a used V10 dully and selling my 04 truck for whatever I can get for it, then picking up a Z. Dealer is gonna *** you on trade in on a big gas hog. My truck is a loaded out sport reg cab hemi etc.. and I can't sell that SOB for ****. The worst thing is it doesn't do too bad on fuel on the hwy for having 350+ hp and being a big tank.

I love it but it doesn't do what I want, plus I want to start leasing so I can trade up without any hassles every 3 years.

Good luck.
i got basically the reg cab sport graphics but its a rumble bee edition. I got ~380hp / 450tq (not at wheels) and I can get about 23 mpg going 45 on cruise, and about 18-19 on hwy going 70 Normally I get about 14-15 though.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,277 Likes on 1,022 Posts

i think the roush stage 1 isnt even supercharged. Normally they just like to say Stage to show how much someone spent for it. Normally they call it RoushCharger on the hood scoop.
Yep. Stage 1 is just an intake, exhaust, body kit, some interior details and rims. So what I'm saying is, I killed a new 300HP Mustang with and intake and exhaust with my 300HP Z with an intake and exhaust.

I knocked down 28mpg driving an 02 6 speed WS6 a couple weeks ago on a little road trip. Not too bad for a big pig with a 5.7 V8. Some folks get 30 or so I've read.
I got 32mpg on a road trip to Cali in my 320 rwhp, LT1 powered '97 WS6.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Rumbler

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Yep. Stage 1 is just an intake, exhaust, body kit, some interior details and rims. So what I'm saying is, I killed a new 300HP Mustang with and intake and exhaust with my 300HP Z with an intake and exhaust.

I got 32mpg on a road trip to Cali in my 320 rwhp, LT1 powered '97 WS6.
great, i get 18mpg on road trips with 380bhp weight of about 5800lbs
Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
DJ350z

stangs are a pos and are cheap thats why every1 and their mother owns one
so i say buy one
Old 09-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Rumbler

Originally Posted by DJ350z
stangs are a pos and are cheap thats why every1 and their mother owns one
so i say buy one
i see more 350z's here then I see mustang gt, roushes, and ponies combined.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 PM
deluzrider

i see more 350z's here then I see mustang gt, roushes, and ponies combined.
of course u would see more z's in this forum. it is the 350z forum