Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

1/4 mile times?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Rumbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 mile times?

I know this isn't really the right topic location for it, but its more about 350z then tracks.

I was at college and waiting for one of my classes and I was in the library reading car and driver. I get to the end of the mag and it shows 1/4 mile times for a BUNCH of cars that are ment for speed. All stock.

The 350z I think forgot except . sec but i think it was like 13.8? and the mustang gt was 13.4, rsx type-s was like 14.5 and civic si was around 15.2
z06 was the fastest of them, better then the ferarri's and the z06 was 11.4 stock. Is that true that the mustang gt is faster then the 350z? Same horsepower, and I would think the american car would be more tuned down. Just wondering before I invest my money into my next car that I get. I am kind of on the pole with rsx type-s, 350z, and the mustang gt. But unsure of what to get. Thats why I joined the forums to here peoples opinions.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 PM
RevLimitZ

You're gonna get flamed for this post....that being said, a mustang gt vs. a Z is "a driver's race" (sorry guys, I couldn't resist, hehe). I've raced 11 gt's and haven't lost yet, but none of them were heavily modded (I was bone stock). I HIGHLY suggest you go and test drive these cars that you're interested in. Don't worry so much as to what's faster b/c you can mod any car and make it as fast as you can afford. Which one looks the best...I vote for the Z. Which one handles best, feels best, is practical for you ie. 2 seater or 4. Insurance costs....I could go on for a while but you are on a 350Z forum so expect to see the Z favored. Drive the cars......as for you're question, I eat mustangs for breakfast.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 PM
skaterbasist

If your talking about the 05+ Mustang GT, then it definately is faster then your 06 Z. (But not faster if its an 01-04)

It does have the same HP, but incase you havent noticed, it has a ton more torque than the VQ35
Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Rumbler

well, i did actually test drove the mustang gt 2006 and 350z tour model

and the 350z did feel ALOT faster stock for stock. Only thing I dont seem to like about it, is what I hear about it with problems. People buying them and hating them for being cheaply made. Interior wise.

Now I did ride in my friends rsx type-s heavily modded, and that seemed faster then the 350z. But the z was stock. He had, intake, exhaust, headers, flywheel, clutch, lowered it, v-tec chip, and i think that was it. Also I heard Z's dont take mod's to well by taking them for power.

Speed is nice, but I don't plan on street racing TOO much or track racing, maybe once a month street, couple times a year track. But I love speed, and sport car feeling. I raced a gti turbo 4cylinder with my truck regular cab hemi pumping around 380hp/450tq ( not at the wheels of course) and won, felt so good rubbing it into this wiggers face. Well I wont until the governer hit in. But I want to get something more sport car type and not sport truck.

Do you feel the 350z is made cheaply? But I love the way it looks.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 08-25-2006, 10:02 PM
RevLimitZ

The only issues I've had is tranny....It was a no hassle deal w/ a 24 hr turnaround that I used to my advantage to have a JWT clutch and flywheel put in free of labor charges. I love the interior, it's very driver focused. Do some searches and read around. There is an incredible amount of info on this site: facts, opinions, and pointless b.s all in one. It all boils down to what you want and what you like.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:41 PM
deluzrider

Originally Posted by RevLimitZ
You're gonna get flamed for this post....that being said, a mustang gt vs. a Z is "a driver's race" (sorry guys, I couldn't resist, hehe). I've raced 11 gt's and haven't lost yet, but none of them were heavily modded (I was bone stock). I HIGHLY suggest you go and test drive these cars that you're interested in. Don't worry so much as to what's faster b/c you can mod any car and make it as fast as you can afford. Which one looks the best...I vote for the Z. Which one handles best, feels best, is practical for you ie. 2 seater or 4. Insurance costs....I could go on for a while but you are on a 350Z forum so expect to see the Z favored. Drive the cars......as for you're question, I eat mustangs for breakfast.
eat mustangs for breakfast +1
Old 08-25-2006, 11:46 PM
deluzrider

never had a problem with my z. but i have had a friend who had a gt mustang though and his hood started smoking and the fire department came. its still in the shop while im driving around in my z every day. i did race him before he broke down and i did win. i would go with the z hands down. but thats me. what do u like the best. they are both fast but i think the z is put together way better than the mustang.

p.s if u wanna get a better mustang than 06 gt jus go get a used 02 cobra. than ull feel speed my friend. but otherwise 350z ftw
Old 08-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Straight line and equal drivers... Mustang should win.

Take them around corners stock for stock, edge goes to the Z.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:28 AM
Suvlaki

If you're looking for only straight line performance, buying a loaded Mustang for $29k and putting about $3k into it worth of mods will destroy the similarly priced Z (of course, the drivers do matter.)

I own an '06 Z and my father owns an '05 Mustang GT (which is now heavily modded) so I have had ample time to test both away from the dealers. I will tell you that stock for stock, it's a drivers race. Modded, the GT will win. But how about the looks and feel of the cars?

Well, the Z feels more like a sports car. You can feel the road (for good or bad,) and it responds more to what you want to do. It just feels funner to drive. The Mustang, on the other hand, feels exactly like a cruiser. It is very high off the ground giving it much body roll in turns, feels heavy and big, and the seats don't hug you like the Zs do.

The Mustang's exterior looks mean, but I would still choose my Zs Porsche-esque hatch. The GTs interior is also crap. It is cheaper than the Zs, and the Z is hard to beat.

So it's up to you.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Spec_Tacular

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
If your talking about the 05+ Mustang GT, then it definately is faster then your 06 Z. (But not faster if its an 01-04)

It does have the same HP, but incase you havent noticed, it has a ton more torque than the VQ35
It's not just that but also the suspension set up and alignment is not ideal for drag racing. Trap speeds are similar with the 2 vehicles its not really about the power. The Z is a much more balanced machine. Both vehicle accomplish what they were meant to do very well.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:45 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contemplating a mustang GT or a 350z? Live life a 1/4 mile at a time?

Get the mustang, hands down.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:16 AM
skaterbasist

I understand that the GT isnt great on tracks, but some of you are saying you "eat mustangs for breakfast".

I sure believe that, IF your talking about the v6 mustang, not the v8 GT. And im sure the ones that stated "I eat mustangs [GT] for breakfast" arent going against them on curves.

Get it straight, stock for stock, with similar [good] drivers, the mustang GT should eat you for breakfast. Thats going on straight lines ofcourse as most street races and drag races go.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:07 AM
350ZZack

nevermind..
Old 08-26-2006, 12:34 PM
skaterbasist

The Z is an amazing car anyway... just be happy you own one.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:21 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

260tq vs 320 I beleive on the mustang....

Last edited by gabez33; 08-26-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:02 PM
stein

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
If you're looking for only straight line performance, buying a loaded Mustang for $29k and putting about $3k into it worth of mods will destroy the similarly priced Z (of course, the drivers do matter.)

I own an '06 Z and my father owns an '05 Mustang GT (which is now heavily modded) so I have had ample time to test both away from the dealers. I will tell you that stock for stock, it's a drivers race. Modded, the GT will win. But how about the looks and feel of the cars?

Well, the Z feels more like a sports car. You can feel the road (for good or bad,) and it responds more to what you want to do. It just feels funner to drive. The Mustang, on the other hand, feels exactly like a cruiser. It is very high off the ground giving it much body roll in turns, feels heavy and big, and the seats don't hug you like the Zs do.

The Mustang's exterior looks mean, but I would still choose my Zs Porsche-esque hatch. The GTs interior is also crap. It is cheaper than the Zs, and the Z is hard to beat.

So it's up to you.

I 2nd that!.

My neighbor has an 06 GT which he's done a lot of mods to (i/e/ud pully/suspenssion/19" rims). He dyno'd it after he had all this on and hp was like 290 and tq was like 310 (that was what he said, no paper to back it up). The mustand does respond well to mods, better than our Z imo.

Here aree some pics his GT
http://68.225.83.119/stein/Jayson's%20Mustang%201.jpg
http://68.225.83.119/stein/Jayson's%20Mustang%202.jpg
http://68.225.83.119/stein/Jayson's%20Mustang%203.jpg
http://68.225.83.119/stein/Jayson's%20Mustang%204.jpg
Old 08-26-2006, 06:12 PM
IronMedic

my Z runs 10's in stock trim. when i get my stickers on, ill be in the 9's like in FnF!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Rumbler

well, speed for speed, .4 of a second isnt that big of a deal. Just want something fast and fun. Doesn't have to be the fastest. I relized with my truck, that I wont be the fastest. A dude with my truck dropped a 392 hemi and supercharged it, so i gave up on being the fastest. because its impossible
that and those 48psi supra's :-p

just something fun, fast, good mpg, and MOST IMPORTANT, relibale.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Rumbler

this is one of my favorite mustangs,

http://www.nvader.net/Stang.html

guy also has a sick ram 1500 quadcab , thats how i met him, hes florida chapter president for dodgetruckworld

I am going to test drive a rsx type-s monday, there is one at the dealership that is AMAZINGLY cheap for some reason...
type-s loaded. 2004 with 26,500 miles for 15,900 and KBB is 20,900 So I am kinda confused. but worth a test drive.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile times?