2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New Member with a new problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:18 PM
sandiego_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with a new problem.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say hi first of all, and second wanted to let you know that you have an awesome site.

Now for my question. I just finished my break in period and decided to go for some agressive canyon driving. About a week after the drive I noticed my front driver side tire had lost about 4 PSI in the week. ( I had them both at 35 and the new reading was 31 and 35).

I've filled it back up to 35 and today about 5 days later it's fallen about 4 PSI. So I don't know much about TPS system, but what I've gathered from searching is they aren't too accurate, and can be as much as +-3 PSI. Could this be the problem? Do you think one of those fix a flats will work?

Or do you think I may have bent my rim? I did a visual inspection and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 PM
ANXIOUZ

Welcome.

Sounds like you have a leak. You probably ran over a small nail or heavy duty thorn or something.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And with a new cars/tires there is always the slim possibility of a rim leak where the tire didn't seal 100% to the rim. Keep monitoring the thing and take it back to the dealer to have the tire remounted and inspected for that nail.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by sandiego_driver
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say hi first of all, and second wanted to let you know that you have an awesome site.

Now for my question. I just finished my break in period and decided to go for some agressive canyon driving. About a week after the drive I noticed my front driver side tire had lost about 4 PSI in the week. ( I had them both at 35 and the new reading was 31 and 35).

I've filled it back up to 35 and today about 5 days later it's fallen about 4 PSI. So I don't know much about TPS system, but what I've gathered from searching is they aren't too accurate, and can be as much as +-3 PSI. Could this be the problem? Do you think one of those fix a flats will work?

Or do you think I may have bent my rim? I did a visual inspection and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
I wouldnt go with the TPS system. I just filled my tires with the right amount of air using a needle gauge (targetting 35psi). I got into my car, the TPS read 32psi all around. So I just ignore it.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:56 PM
mavtais

I get up to 4 psi difference in tire pressure just based on the sun. If the sun shines on one side of your car and not the other for extended periods, the heat alone can cause that pressure difference.
You have to try to get both tires at the same material temperature to get a more accurate reading.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
sandiego_driver

the sun can do that wow!

Will the dealer do this under warranty? Or should I just take it to a place like discount tire and pay the 15 bucks for a tire patch.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:24 PM
highside107

Well, a lot of dealers are kind of "****" about this kind of stuff. You would have to prove to them that you didn't cause it which may be kind of hard to do. I would opt to go to Discount Tire and pay the $15. It's probably a small leak somewhere where you ran over something so it's probably your fault (and not theirs) anyway.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:41 PM
sandiego_driver

Originally Posted by highside107
Well, a lot of dealers are kind of "****" about this kind of stuff. You would have to prove to them that you didn't cause it which may be kind of hard to do. I would opt to go to Discount Tire and pay the $15. It's probably a small leak somewhere where you ran over something so it's probably your fault (and not theirs) anyway.
no I totally agree. I was just wondering if the dealer would cover it, then great. If not, no worries.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
daveZ insanity

Default You've probably got a nail or stem leak

My TPS is perfect - it matches my competition dial gauge exactly. I do see a 2 to 3 lb rise when the temp goes up 25+ degrees during the day, but it's symmetric.

A bead leak is less likely than a valve stem leak. Mix up a little dishwashing liquid with water and paint it around the beads and the valve stem. If there's a leak, you'll see bubbles within a minute or two. Most slow leaks are punctures - my bet is that there's a nail or screw in your tread.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dkorr
I wouldnt go with the TPS system. I just filled my tires with the right amount of air using a needle gauge (targetting 35psi). I got into my car, the TPS read 32psi all around. So I just ignore it.
Agree.

TPS is just a tool. Buy yourself an accurate gage. Check tire pressure cold. It should be 35PSI.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:08 PM
ZPatrick

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
Welcome.

Sounds like you have a leak. You probably ran over a small nail or heavy duty thorn or something.
+1