Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First Track Day Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Marc Mc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Track Day Impressions

I just thought I would share my track day experience. I bought my Z to take on the track. I don't think I will ever be racing it, but I want to enjoy the wonderful tracks in Norcal. Today was at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA.

I am still new but have driven on this track before. This was, however, the first time on the track with the Z and it performed beautifully. I attended the high performance driving school put on by the track.

I had classified myself in the A group when I signed up. I figured I was a beginner and that was where I belonged. After talking to one of the instructors (who raced a Z) for a while and sharing my experience, he took it upon himself to move me to the intermediate group, as he felt the A group would be too slow and drive me crazy. He was right. Watching the A group was like watching Driving Miss Daisy. It is great if you have no track experience, so don't get me wrong. It just wasn't right for me.

I took the Z (track edition) on the track with a lotus elise, exige, porche 944, Z06, porche caymon, Porche GT Turbo (wicked fast), and a few vipers. The Z set into the turns beautifully. I had an instructor in a couple sets and he would just push me...."more throttle...more...more...." The Z took it and loved it. Given the horsepower difference between the z and the vipers, vettes, and porches, I couldn't keep up with all of them (the C group drivers) on the long straightaways, but the really curvy sections found the Z blazing. I was hitting the apexes very well and accelerating harder and for longer periods. I really got to trust the Z's handling as the day went on. It was also important to trust the brakes. The Brembos did very well. I only had one instance of brake fade, which was probably more due to the fluids than the brakes. My uncle held behind me in his Z06 for a few laps each set and would coach me after. He was impressed with the progression I made and said by the end of the day I was flying. He drove the Z at lunch and was extremely impressed with it. He took videos from his car, so I get to see my line later this weekend.

I had one really frustrating time following a Viper. He was slowing me way down on the turns, but when we would get to the straightaway he would blaze away with his 500 hp. Since he had slowed me way down I could never pass him because he basically just blocked me out. Freaking jerk. I came up on a long line of cars during another set and who did I see...same viper hoggin the road. Letting cars by you doesn't make you weak...it is a sign of courteous driving.

The only mechanical issue was the stupid little radiator cap. It leaked a little drip here and there. It was nothing to overheat the car, but enough to smell and **** me off. I will pick up a Nismo cap tomorrow.

There you go. I am tired though. I spent all day at the track and then drove 3 hours home. Uggg...time to fall asleep in front of the TV.

Marc Mc
Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 PM
apexi97tsi

Sweet! Sound like you had tons of fun. I have yet to experience driving on the track. Did you and your Uncle cruise together round trip?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Marc Mc

He trailered his car, so nope. I said good bye to him. I could cruise at 80...he couldn't.

I would highly suggest one of these courses. This one was only $225. You get as much instruction as you want, tons of track time, lunch, and a hat too.

Go for it!
Marc
Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Darlos

That does sound like a lot of fun. I've only had my Z for about 3 months, and I'm just starting to feel confident driving it. I wonder if there are any tracks up here near seattle.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 PM
NissanZfan

Not to far from me Mark, we should hook up the next time you go. Always wanted to take the Z to the track. I should at least get the info from you, so I could check it out.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z was born and bred to track. I had fun my first time too and look forward to doing it again.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:35 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad that you enjoyed the day. HPDE is a learning experience for all drivers. I recommend it as the first performance mod.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write up Marc.

Sound like you had fun and had the proper attitude.

Hop to the AutoX/RoadRace forum to get in touch with the « 350Z Tracker community »
Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Marc Mc

NissanZFan,
The information on the school can be found at www.thunderhill.com. Click on "Driving School." They recommend, and I strongly recommend, going up the night before and getting a local hotel. We stayed at the Ameriquest, which was very clean, relatively inexpensive, and had a hot tub to chill in after driving up there.

There is also the Russell Racing School at Infineon. www.russellracing.com. This class is supposed to be even better. It is $500-600 but well worth it I am sure. My suggestion would be to start at the Thunderhill course/class to improve your skills and see if you really like it. The track is much more forgiving than Infineon, which is one of the most technical tracks in the US.

Good luck. Go do it.
Marc
Old 09-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Marc Mc

Kolia,
You got it right. Attitude is a big part of the track days. It's about having fun and improving your skills. I knew I was not going to beat my uncle who has years of experience. Hell, my major goal was to not be lapped by him. I felt no shame in pointing people by me. They were more experienced in faster cars...why shouldn't I let them go by. It allowed me to focus on my skills.

I will definitely check out the site.
Thanks,
Marc
Old 09-01-2006, 05:51 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:24 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Mc
Kolia,
You got it right. Attitude is a big part of the track days. It's about having fun and improving your skills. I knew I was not going to beat my uncle who has years of experience. Hell, my major goal was to not be lapped by him. I felt no shame in pointing people by me. They were more experienced in faster cars...why shouldn't I let them go by. It allowed me to focus on my skills.

I will definitely check out the site.
Thanks,
Marc
Exactly.

I don’t know what the mater is with some guys not giving the point by.

My theory, concerning the beginner drivers with high HP cars, is that they are so intent on the braking and turning of the car, they can’t spare the attention to look in the mirrors at that time. And when they finally do check them, it’s halfway down the straight and you’re far behind then. The instructor should take care of that and have his student give the point by.

Then we get the signed off wannabe racer that will “fight for position” with you. Some NASCAR tailgating action usually gets them nervous and sends them wide on the exit, killing their lap and/or scaring them. The point by is usually not far…

If all fails, I just take a stroll down pit lane and rejoin half a lap behind.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Marc Mc

You know...the last bit of advise is probably the best and safest....for me at this time anyways. Thanks! I will do that next time.
Marc
Old 09-01-2006, 07:33 AM
clarkkent06

Originally Posted by Darlos
That does sound like a lot of fun. I've only had my Z for about 3 months, and I'm just starting to feel confident driving it. I wonder if there are any tracks up here near seattle.
The main track is Pacific Raceways (used to be Seattle International Raceway). It is located in Kent.

http://www.pacificraceways.com/
Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 AM
NissanZfan

Thanks for the info Marc!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Darlos

Originally Posted by clarkkent06
The main track is Pacific Raceways (used to be Seattle International Raceway). It is located in Kent.

http://www.pacificraceways.com/
Awesome, that speedway track looks like it would be just right for some fun.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:55 AM
mistico

Marc,

Thanks for your report.

I'll be at thill on the Z on Sept 9th with http://www.greenflagdriving.com

I have an 06 base with a Quaife LSD and it'll have hotchkis sways and stoptech brake lines by then.

Did you run the stock tires? What do you think about them?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:35 AM
jakedajewel

Originally Posted by Marc Mc
I just thought I would share my track day experience. I bought my Z to take on the track. I don't think I will ever be racing it, but I want to enjoy the wonderful tracks in Norcal. Today was at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA.

I am still new but have driven on this track before. This was, however, the first time on the track with the Z and it performed beautifully. I attended the high performance driving school put on by the track.

I had classified myself in the A group when I signed up. I figured I was a beginner and that was where I belonged. After talking to one of the instructors (who raced a Z) for a while and sharing my experience, he took it upon himself to move me to the intermediate group, as he felt the A group would be too slow and drive me crazy. He was right. Watching the A group was like watching Driving Miss Daisy. It is great if you have no track experience, so don't get me wrong. It just wasn't right for me.

I took the Z (track edition) on the track with a lotus elise, exige, porche 944, Z06, porche caymon, Porche GT Turbo (wicked fast), and a few vipers. The Z set into the turns beautifully. I had an instructor in a couple sets and he would just push me...."more throttle...more...more...." The Z took it and loved it. Given the horsepower difference between the z and the vipers, vettes, and porches, I couldn't keep up with all of them (the C group drivers) on the long straightaways, but the really curvy sections found the Z blazing. I was hitting the apexes very well and accelerating harder and for longer periods. I really got to trust the Z's handling as the day went on. It was also important to trust the brakes. The Brembos did very well. I only had one instance of brake fade, which was probably more due to the fluids than the brakes. My uncle held behind me in his Z06 for a few laps each set and would coach me after. He was impressed with the progression I made and said by the end of the day I was flying. He drove the Z at lunch and was extremely impressed with it. He took videos from his car, so I get to see my line later this weekend.

I had one really frustrating time following a Viper. He was slowing me way down on the turns, but when we would get to the straightaway he would blaze away with his 500 hp. Since he had slowed me way down I could never pass him because he basically just blocked me out. Freaking jerk. I came up on a long line of cars during another set and who did I see...same viper hoggin the road. Letting cars by you doesn't make you weak...it is a sign of courteous driving.

The only mechanical issue was the stupid little radiator cap. It leaked a little drip here and there. It was nothing to overheat the car, but enough to smell and **** me off. I will pick up a Nismo cap tomorrow.

There you go. I am tired though. I spent all day at the track and then drove 3 hours home. Uggg...time to fall asleep in front of the TV.

Marc Mc

nice write up...cant wait to take my Z to the track...
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Marc Mc

Mistico,
The Stoptech brakes will put you ahead of the game. I did run stock Potenzas and they did well, but again I am relatively new to the sport soooooo consider the source.

The only slipping I experienced was probably due to me rather than the tires.

Since you are going to T-Hill, let me tell you about a couple of turns.
Turn 2 - Get into 3rd in time on your approach so you can give the brakes a good tap. Stay about mid track until about 1/2 and start moving inside ultimately clipping the apex of course. The Z was able take it tighter sooner that my uncles Z06.

Turn 5...the crowsnest - Hard braking up the hill then sharp turn on the apex. The go straight and get on the throttle. If you aren't on the throttle going into 6 you will get into trouble. Same goes for Turn 3.

Turn 11- Let me just say what people were continually repeating. You can't go to slow into turn 11. Brake hard, turn hard after the cone and set up a clean straight line through the S's. I hope you do better than I did on that turn. My uncle noticed I was too wide. It doesn't get dangerous. You just can't go as fast through the S's.

I got up to triple digits on the front straightaway easily, the back straightaway (between 9 and 10) and almost in the middle between 13 and 14, but I lost my *****.

Enjoy!
Marc

Quick Reply: First Track Day Impressions