Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Guys, Help me with these arrogant dealers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:30 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teknochild
its funny that you criticise his attitude for having a chip on his shoulder and then tell him to dress up in a suit
Why? How can presenting a more mature and professional image do anything but help him establish a serious working relationship with the sales rep?

bill
Old 09-03-2006, 10:48 AM
teknochild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Why? How can presenting a more mature and professional image do anything but help him establish a serious working relationship with the sales rep?

bill

im not saying dressing in a suit is a bad idea, im just saying that the advice is slightly hypocritical
Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Built2shredZ

If you go in dressed like you have lots of money your not going to get a good deal.... If the sales people wont give you time of day, go directly to the sales manager and make an offer, thats what I always do and I don't have to mess around with the sales person going back and forth to the sales office pretending he's trying to get me a good deal...
Old 09-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by RadioManJ350Z33
Dressing bummy shows no respect for you or the business and makes for a terrible first impession. General culture values stand tried and true that a well dressed person usually get the attention, at least at first. After the fact that I see a person that is well dressed, they must also have the goods to back it up, or it'sd just all show and no go. I had to turn down a person last week for an job b/c even though they had the credentials, they wore flip flops to the interview and chewed gum the entire time, acting as if they really did not want to be there... chip on thier shoulder. I went with an individual who had the minimum requirement of skill, but was just so eager to learn the business and get started, not just looking for a paycheck... he wore a suit and tie and was respectful.

However skipping the sales-person is a good way to go, especially in fleet sales. My old dealership was not commission. We were paid for moving inventory + minnimum salaries, and did not have a fleet manager.

I had fogotten about that... Going to a fleet sales dealer is good also, b/c they usually are selling based upon volume, not commission.

Thanks for the post.
As far as dress goes, are we talking about buying a car or going in a for a job interview??? I was talking about buying a car...

As far as a job interview goes, then yes, you shold go with a min. of dress shoes, dress slacks, dress shirt and a tie.... You definatly dont want to look like a bum...

But if you go in all dressed up to buy a car then your going to have a harder time haggling over price since they think you have plenty of money... Also im talking about just wearing Levi's and a clean white t-shirt, im not talking about going in with food stains on your clothes and having bad breath...
Old 09-03-2006, 11:50 AM
norapat01

I think it's more of the way you place youself rather than dress. People can see you serious or not by your body language. I been to many dealer, including BMW and Mercedes....they all threat me like God. So, just go there and be yourself...

remember, you are the one holding money..so you control them, not the otherway around.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:58 PM
kpiskin

That's not true. I typically go in dressed normally, but I'm older. In the end they want to sell the car. Whether or not they barter depends on a lot of things. Is the car selling hot? If they can't keep them on the lot, then no you aren't negotiating and you may pay more than MSRP. Maybe the sales person will try to be more stingy, but if you are going to walk out, they will either work it out or they weren't willing to go as low as you were asking to begin with. You have to consider all the variables like going toward the end of a month, or end of a model year. You also need to be patient in what you're looking for since they may not have what you want for some time unless you special order the car. Even if you pay factory invoice delaers still make money on the car from the factory for selling at certain volume levels and if you use financing through one of their partner banks. It is more difficult to negotiate the price on a special order because the dealer knows it's exactly what you want.

Unfortunately I had to learn these things through the school of hard knocks, but after I figured it out I was able to get incredible deals on some of my cars. I got my Volvo for $8K below sticker because it was at the end of the year and the car had been on the lot longer than any of the others. It had exactly the same options, but was taking up space they needed for 2006 XC70s already on the boat. I still see the dealer selling used 2005 XC70s for more than what I paid with higher miles:-)
Old 09-03-2006, 03:28 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't take you seriously until your ready to buy. And stop whinning about being disrespected because of your age. I'm 64, well to do looking, etc and I get basically the same treatment at some dealers.

Sequence;

-Do your homework on learning models & prices.
-Go to bank/credit union & arrange a loan; get documentation of loan to take with you.
-Go to dealers & tell them what you want, price you expect to pay, & show loan papers. Make sure they understand your there only to talk price; payments, interest rate, etc are not an issue because you have loan & know payments.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 AM
luty77

WOW!
I left the forum for a day! i've got plenty of good advices to start now.
As for dressing up nicely. I'm not coming from some cheap family nor a kid
that dress a stained white shirt with broken jeans everyday to school who
saved up every penny I can. On the day I went to the dealership I was
in my vintages but still proper (Polo shirts ETC, If you don't think vintages
and polo shirts don't work together..Watch more MTVs)

A Point I'd like to make here is that, I don't WANT TO PRETEND that I'm
older or make lots of money in some big companies. I am who I am.
I'm a 21 guy, who just happen to have 50k saved to buy his favourite car.

Personally, I don't think the salesmen should care of what their customers wear or how they act with what kind of clothes they come in, whether it's
sleezy stained shirt or a fancy Armani suit. Well, If i get more of,
"That's how things work in life. kid" comments, I can only say "I'm a
potential customer with just as much money as others"

However, I've got plenty of informations "how to approach" or "How to get
started on making good deals" Should be a STICKY! for newbs like me or
possibly youngsters who just has no idea.

I'd like to thank Built2ShredZ, and teknochild for making lots of replies and
for being very supportive! Thanks. While I fully appreciate what other people had to say about my situation and what their thoughts are on making good deals on the Z(some hurts, but you can't like everything). Thanks.
WOW I'm overwhelmed!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:27 AM
luty77

OH~ I'm familiar with models, options of Zs here.
It's bit different in Canada. I've mentioned on my first post but obviously,
I didn't make it clear. Zs only come in performance model with a choice of
GT package. so basically, there are only two options. What I said to
the dealer when I was over was "A BLK Performance Coupe"
Unlike states, we pay a website crisp 20 to find out an invoice price on
a car you choose. I'll do that. Thanks again!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:09 AM
The MVPlaya

Go in with a couple grand cash in your hands, and tell them that you're serious, and with that money in front of them, they'll treat you serious.

Real talk...
Old 09-04-2006, 07:23 AM
JMT

The most important thing you can do when you go shopping for a car is to do your homework as many in this thread already mentioned. Simply walking up to a salesperson and saying, "I want this and this....give me your best price" is not how car buying works, like it or not.

By doing your research prior to walking into a dealership and approaching a salesperson (which is the first step) it will better prepare you for the next couple of people you will be negotiating with. You have to have a set price in mind when you are negotiating for a car. You have to have a pretty good idea what the invoice is, even though that is not the wholesale cost to the dealer. You have to take into consideration that the dealer is in the business to make a profit, what their overhead is, and what part of that overhead you would be willing to pay in order to purchase the car that you want.

I agree that when you are in the position to seriously start negotiating (meaning that your intention is to buy today), dress and act accordingly. You are about to begin a business negotiation, the more professional you look and act the more respect you will be given.

Negotiate the price of the car first. The dealer will typically try to add in the financing as well as part of price discussion. Negotiate that separately (if you are planning to finance). Negotiate OTD (out the door) pricing (tax, license, dealer cost, etc.). When you are negotiating price, be realistic. On a $30,000 car, do not make your initial offer $22,000 out the door. You know the dealer is not going to discount a car over $8000 AND pay your tax and license. Make your initial offer on the low side of invoice. Perhaps a grand below invoice and work you way up to what your maximum is. Keep reiterating to the dealer that, at the right price, you are in the position to buy now....but you don't HAVE to buy now. Also, I always let the dealer know that I have a limited amount of time to spend here, and that if I sense the discussion isn't going anywhere after a certain amount of time, I will leave. And if you come up to that time limit.....politely excuse yourself and leave. If the dealer comes after you to come back, ask him why. What can they offer that they haven't already offered? Don't return to the negotiating office, ask him/her that right there in the middle of the showroom floor. If he hesitates or says, "come back here and we can discuss it." Tell him/her, we have been discussing it, we are still $XXXX.XX apart" and continue to leave. You will probably get a phone call from him/her later that day.

After you have agreed to a price (find somehow to get that in writing), then discuss the financing. Take a calculator with you so you can double check monthly payments that they quote you. Make sure that it is based on the price that you agreed upon. If you plan on paying cash, then make sure you read the purchase agreement carefully and the price of the car is what you agreed to pay and the sales tax is based on that price.

Sorry for the length of this, but hope it helps.

Last edited by JMT; 09-04-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:34 AM
zzz350

I don't think that being an asian has anything to do with the way you are being treated. Vancouver has so many asians there, that it's nickname is Hongcouver, if you live there you know that is a fact, I am not being a racist. I do business in Vancouver often and the asians that I deal with are the ones that call it that. So I am guessing that you just are giving off the wrong vibes. Get your facts together on Edmunds.com, walk right in to the sales guy and say I want a Black Coupe and I want to pay X. When the guy roles his eyes at you, and they all do it, say "Look, I have your invoice prices and I don't want to screw around, do you want my business or should I go give it to the other dealer down the road?" I guarantee you that they will not want you to leave. However, you are dealing with Canadians, never forget that, eh!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:43 PM
thrill350z

yea when i got mine some dealers didnt take me serious because i was in my early 20s
Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 PM
luty77

um.. what is a 3ts?
3 taxes?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 AM
stevez redline

ok guys (and girls) here it is. i worked for a nissan dealership here in chattanooga tn.a few thinngs to remember
1. research (if you gonna buy new invoice.com if youre gonna buy used N.A.D.A.com the dealership uses this not kbb not edmunds)if they quote you a price on a used car it will be approx. 4000.00 more than the nada wholesale price which is what they pay for their trades
2. know what youre going to spend either a month or out the door(ex.i bought my 2004 base model for 24600 this vehicle had a side sticker of over 27000.00)i had my payment in mind and i have walked out the door two different times over 9.00 a month, if you say 405.00 a month you dont mean 412.00 a month(STICK TO YOUR GUNS)
3. Options-i bought a base model i was not going to pay 10000.00 more for leather seats a/t and a bose system (that has got to be the worst sounding system in the world)
4. date of purchase- aways wait until the last day of the sales month to buy they have to sell so many vehicles to receive their incentives for the next month ie.(rebates bonuses and etc.)
i have used this method when buying my z as well as a 1 of 1000 production 2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4 quadcab outfitter edition list price 36400.00 i paid 28900.00 because i knew to stick to my guns.its my job to keep money in my pocket not the salesman( oh and uh you buy for msrp you just paid that salesman about 1000.00 in commission and tha dealership got the other 70%
hope i was able to help
Old 09-07-2006, 06:51 AM
teknochild

Originally Posted by RadioManJ350Z33
Exactly. I sold cars at a Honda Mitsu dealer for the first three years I was in college. I can tell you is this... when I used to see a kid on the lot with shorts and a t-shirt or ripped up jeans just looking all around, waiting for a sales person to help them, I would generally dismiss them b/c regardless if they have the ability to purchase the vehicle or not, the first impression they give me is looking like a bum. I don't, and I can assure you a car dealer will not do business with a bum. Bums don't have money. Now if Mom and Dad showed up with the "bum" looking kid. Then I would talk to Dad or Mom, cause they were the one buying.

I grossed $45+K my first year selling Hondas and a few Mitsu's; I was 19yrs old, fresh out of High School. the next two years were well over $50K each. The Bums I would talk to... if the day was slow, they rarely buy, and always want a free ride and a brochure; usually don't return.

Most of the sales I made were to people who had already made up their mind as to what to buy, had financing ready to go, and simply wanted to test drive the car to make the final decision. Many of them had a price they were willing to pay, or at least an idea of what they could pay per month.

Never go to a car dealer looking like a bum kid w/o money, the first impression you are giving off is... "I'm broke, I want a free test ride and a soda"
The same goes for buying a house, getting a loan at a bank and interviewing for a job.

Each day is an opportunity to make first impressions.

thats actually really funny, my dad when he was about 40 decided to go out and buy a sports car, well he liked to wear old faded shorts and old polo style shirts, he deffinatly didnt look like a million bucks, didnt LOOK like... but he could buy absolutly anything he wanted, im sure someone missed a very good sale

Quick Reply: Guys, Help me with these arrogant dealers!