2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

SE-R or the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfdd
They are yet they out perform a sports car? How does that make sense? btw read the defintion it says "the majority of which" blah blah blah that doesn't necessarly mean that defines a sports car. IMO the Evo and STI are far more of a performance machine than a 350z. I'm not trying to bash on the 350z, I'm really interested in purchasing one because of the style, but you don't just have to have 2 doors and sit 2 to be a sports car.
So do you consider the plain manilla-vanilla Lancer a sports car too? All the EVO is, is a base model Lancer with a turbo and AWD. That does not justify classifying it as a sports car.

The traditional sports car is classified as a 2-door, 2 passenger vehicle. The M5 will outperform a Z in many aspects, but is that considered a sports car? No. Just because one car outperforms another, doesn't mean that classifies it as something else. The EVO/STI/Civic Si are all compact cars and, as such, are defined as such. Their performance characteristics are undeniable, but they are what they are.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Vicynax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are yet they out perform a sports car? How does that make sense? btw read the defintion it says "the majority of which" blah blah blah that doesn't necessarly mean that defines a sports car. IMO the Evo and STI are far more of a performance machine than a 350z. I'm not trying to bash on the 350z, I'm really interested in purchasing one because of the style, but you don't just have to have 2 doors and sit 2 to be a sports car.
People are defensive here regarding their cars. Oh it's not sports car because it's 4 door, it's got 4 seat, it's an automatic, it's not fast enough, it doesn't handle better than this, blah blah blah. If you think a car is sporty, then by all means, consider it a sports car.

Due to car manufacturers building all these new types of cars that's no better or no more reliable than a 20 year Honda these days, you can't tell a SUV from a van anyways. Next thing you know, there's gonna be a car called H2 (Hybrid/Hybrid) or US (Utility sportscar). My Porsche C4S can make my Z and any other Z here, besides the heavily modded ones, eat dust and die, but you know what, someone's gonna chime in and say.. "You got 2 midget seats back there, it's not a sports car!" There's no longer a true and clear definition of sports car. To me, EVO/STi is as much a sports car as a Z, but what is it to you.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on.
A suped up Altima can't compare to a STI or EVO or Z or Porsche !

It's Wrong Wheel Drive any ways
Old 09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by Armitage
So do you consider the plain manilla-vanilla Lancer a sports car too? All the EVO is, is a base model Lancer with a turbo and AWD. That does not justify classifying it as a sports car.

The traditional sports car is classified as a 2-door, 2 passenger vehicle. The M5 will outperform a Z in many aspects, but is that considered a sports car? No. Just because one car outperforms another, doesn't mean that classifies it as something else. The EVO/STI/Civic Si are all compact cars and, as such, are defined as such. Their performance characteristics are undeniable, but they are what they are.
You sir are IGNORANT of what an Evolution is. The Lancer Evolution isn't just a vanilla lancer slapped on with a turbo and awd. It doesn't even have the same engine as any of the Lancers. It's got the 4g63 that's been around FOREVER proven to be one of the great Japanese motors of all time, it's acceleration and handling are up there with cars costing well more than double. Take the TOP of the line 350z pit it against the Evo 9 MR, the 350z will lose in acceleration, skid pad, around a track, 1/4 AND COST LESS. The Evo and STI are SPORTS CARS weither you like it or not. Now I'm not saying this as a biased *****, it's the truth and I still want to purchase a 350z so don't sit there and talk crap.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Kolia

You sir are IGNORANT of what an Evolution is. The Lancer Evolution isn't just a vanilla lancer slapped on with a turbo and awd. It doesn't even have the same engine as any of the Lancers. It's got the 4g63 that's been around FOREVER proven to be one of the great Japanese motors of all time, it's acceleration and handling are up there with cars costing well more than double. Take the TOP of the line 350z pit it against the Evo 9 MR, the 350z will lose in acceleration, skid pad, around a track, 1/4 AND COST LESS. The Evo and STI are SPORTS CARS weither you like it or not. Now I'm not saying this as a biased *****, it's the truth and I still want to purchase a 350z so don't sit there and talk crap.
The STi and EVO are moddified 4 door sedans dude. That's what a rally car is. A grocery getter on steriods.

Nobody challenges the performance of these cars.

It's the philosophy behind the design we're talking about. Take the base level Z. It's defenitely a sport car.

Take a base level Lancer ?
Take a base level Impreza ?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by Kolia
The STi and EVO are moddified 4 door sedans dude. That's what a rally car is. A grocery getter on steriods.

Nobody challenges the performance of these cars.

It's the philosophy behind the design we're talking about. Take the base level Z. It's defenitely a sport car.

Take a base level Lancer ?
Take a base level Impreza ?
You can't take the baseline Lancer, because it's a TOTALLY different car. The Lancer Evolution is based on the Lancer, but it is more of a distant relative. It'd be comparing baseline Z to Evolution RS. The Evo is far more than a Lancer hopped up on steroids. To even make a Lancer even CLOSE to what an EVO is, you need to engine+tranny swap, drive train swap, suspension, TONS of body work, it'd cost more than the Lancer is worth and well more than a Evo 9 GSR.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Kolia

You can't take the baseline Lancer, because it's a TOTALLY different car. The Lancer Evolution is based on the Lancer, but it is more of a distant relative. It'd be comparing baseline Z to Evolution RS. The Evo is far more than a Lancer hopped up on steroids. To even make a Lancer even CLOSE to what an EVO is, you need to engine+tranny swap, drive train swap, suspension, TONS of body work, it'd cost more than the Lancer is worth and well more than a Evo 9 GSR.
So the white body is different ?
How about the suspension mounting points ?
Are the doors different ones ?

Fenders are a joke to change for a manufacture (or a tuner). Engine and Tranny swap ? I can do that in my parking lot...

I would tend to say YES it is the same car. I do believe the FIA regulations for rally car wouldn't allow a different whitebody to be ran in WRC... Well, I know for a fact that Prodrive has the Impreza whitebody taken straight from the production line...
Old 09-26-2006, 04:32 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by Kolia
So the white body is different ?
How about the suspension mounting points ?
Are the doors different ones ?

Fenders are a joke to change for a manufacture (or a tuner). Engine and Tranny swap ? I can do that in my parking lot...

I would tend to say YES it is the same car. I do believe the FIA regulations for rally car wouldn't allow a different whitebody to be ran in WRC... Well, I know for a fact that Prodrive has the Impreza whitebody taken straight from the production line...
The ONLY THING they have in common is the unibody, everything else is completely different. They are NOT the same car.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Kolia

The ONLY THING they have in common is the unibody, everything else is completely different. They are NOT the same car.
Well. Sorry to break it to you but the white body is what defines a car model. (I make those for a living btw) The EVO might have a couple of stiffners added here and there, I haven't stripped one, but that doesn't differenciate it very much.

Everything else is bolt on stuff (literally).
Old 09-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Hybrid_Det

Since you are 18 and on a tight budget, buy a real SE-R... Sentra that is and put about 3k in it and smoke whatever you like.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:35 PM
slambball88

None of you understand what i am trying to say...

I want a sXc looking car, and i want it to be fast as well...

I love the Z but winter is an issue because i live in Connecticut where it snows sorta a lot in winter (not really)....

Maybe now i made myself clear??
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Hybrid_Det

Originally Posted by slambball88

I love the Z but winter is an issue because i live in Connecticut where it snows sorta a lot in winter (not really)....

You obviously didn't read what I posted.

Reliable
Affordable
Fast as Hell
Sexy for sure
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Casanova

Originally Posted by slambball88

Your an absolute D*** Head!

Just get the Z... and catch the bus in winter... SE-R (r u joking?) Cause im not laughing buddy.... im not laughing!!! ---> thats what im doing riiigggghhhttt now man!!!! Except i dont have a blue face ok... OK !!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not ignorant - you can't read. If you want to be 'technical', not its not completely the same car. But in theory, it is a modified Lancer. Thats why its called the :gasp: Mistubishi LANCER Evolution. And the STI... that would be the Subaru Impreza WRX... another four-door sedan that its based off of.

I do not deny the awesome performance of the cars. I have seen many tear up the auto-x circuits and hear they do just as well on the track. They are very fast in a straight-line as well.

If you want to call them sports cars, you may do so. You are not going to convince me of that however. And there are many people around the world who would not consider them as such as well. :shrug:

And lets get one thing straight. I wasn't talking ****. Your the one coming in here with a personal vandetta spouting insults. So take a pill and chill holmes.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:28 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I had an SE-R for 24 hours. Returned it and got the Z instead.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SE-R or Z ? you'v got to be kidding me...it's like asking, would you rather eat **** or eat some real food...c'mon man
Old 10-01-2006, 11:02 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have driven my Z every winter since I have had it, 90 miles a day, ice, snow, rain. Just make sure you get some good winter tires. I am using Pirelli Snowsports, handles very nice in the snow.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:23 PM
InsaneChink

Old 10-01-2006, 02:24 PM
SaadSindhu

Everyones gotta calm down. He is asking a reasonable questioin. He is considering two different cars weighing both the pros and cons of each. It doesnt have to mean they are in direct competition with each other. Performance wise they are really close. Potential wise the Z will tear the altima a new a$$hole.

I would suggest the SE-R if your driving alot in snow. The Z is Zero fun in the snow. Even in the rain it sucks. Rain and snow take the fun out of driving a Z. Seeing as how an SE-R is fwd it may be a little more fun as an all year round car. You'll regret not having a Z in the summer though..
Old 10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
reichlj

In my perspective buy both, but I know you can afford both. For now I recomend to buy the Altima SER since it's going to the be the last year they are going to be made until who know's when, it's a really nice car, you won't turn heads like the 350z does but it's a real enjoyable car to drive. And wait for the 350z until 2008 according to Road and Track magazine will have 350 hp and a new bodystyle.