71.94%
Voters: 727. You may not vote on this poll

AT and MT owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Ebony350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilov350ZEE
i ve seen a lot of automatic heavy modded supras, those are sports car......

Well what did you expect from Toyota lovers
Old 09-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Should I double clutch my automatic ???? And does it do harm if I miss a shift ????
Old 09-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Jimbo68

Hello all - forum noob here

My Z is AT for one reason - the boss wanted it that way, and it's her daily driver

FWIW, My 04 Titan Crew Cab is AT also
Old 09-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WHy can't people just do the poll and stfu.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Jenn350Z

Originally Posted by Ilov350ZEE
i ve seen a lot of automatic heavy modded supras, those are sports car......

It's because they stay in boost

Old 09-25-2006, 07:00 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

you need a both selection, some people by his and hers!!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 PM
35TH ANY

There are probably many more AT owners who never hit this board. AT, no mods, no my350z.com.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Combat350z
Banned

Hey now! lol. Do I wish I had of gotten an mt eh sometimes like when I'm driving on the freeway or when I was still in J-ville because people knew how to drive there. But there are plenty of times I'm glad I have an at. Although I've had to have one of my buddies remind me it is an at when I'm trying to juggle answering a phone, turning etc and shifting in manual mode and I'm like oh yea I forgot about that.

And mine won't be stock in a week or so when my front,rear,wing, and mrev++ come it.

So there you meanie faces haha
Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If u drive a stick u learn to balance ur Starbucks and Cell ----HEY ----- If u dont do it u dont learn to ---Life is learning and if u hide in a shell and are afraid u will never grow to move on to the next Quest
Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Zincognito

Im against AT Sport cars but i understand peoples needs so no hate on this side. Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by daveZ insanity
The pumping losses in a modern AT are no more than 2 or 3 hp. It's the torque convertor that turns mechanical energy to heat - and that loss is virtually zero when the torque convertor is locked. With at least 4 solenoids for torque convertor lockup, multiple small-volume pumps for lubrication, a boost loop to return fluid to the pump inlet, and a single high-volume shift supply pump, today's ATs are nothing like the old 3 and 4 speed slushboxes you're thinking of.

One of the reasons I got an AT is the large number of people complaining about their manual trannys in Zs. There are lots of posts about crunching, bad synchros, rough shifting, and replaced 'boxes. I don't have time to visit my dealer about rough shifting. I don't miss stick in my daily driver - the car's so great otherwise that I love it, even with congenital absence of a pedal. But there's room in the world for both.
Tru dat

Why do so many MT enthusiast use the old school ATs in their comparisons?

The modern performance ATs are nothing like the old slush boxes. When the lockup clutch is engaged there is "no fluid power loss" because the tranny is connected by a mechancial clutch. Up until the tranny reaches the fluid coupling stage it actually produces more power than the engine is producing. This is called torque multiplication. Yes, an unlocked torque converter is not as efficient as a plate clutch when it is fluid coupled. In a modern AT, the computer will upshift so that the tranny is again torque multiplying or it will engage the lockup clutch and eliminate hydraulic loss.

I'll be the first to admit that my driving skill is nowhere near the potential of a pro driver who may be able to get max performace out of MT more often then not. I would say that 95%+ of the people here are in my catagory. Manually shifting can be fun and I enjoy it occassionally but, for outright performance give me one of the new ATs.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
If u drive a stick u learn to balance ur Starbucks and Cell ----HEY ----- If u dont do it u dont learn to ---Life is learning and if u hide in a shell and are afraid u will never grow to move on to the next Quest
I bet he doesn't wear his seatbelt either because he hasn't experienced being ejected from a car.

What does driving a stick have to with the next "Quest" or anything for that matter? What is the "Quest"? I can drive a manual but I own and drive an automatic. Does that mean I don't pass go and collect $200?

What's your point?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
I bet he doesn't wear his seatbelt either because he hasn't experienced being ejected from a car.

What does driving a stick have to with the next "Quest" or anything for that matter? What is the "Quest"? I can drive a manual but I own and drive an automatic. Does that mean I don't pass go and collect $200?

What's your point?
Haha. Nice. You're right I don't because I've never eaten my windshield on my way out of it and onto the pavement

Yea I guess I must not be up to taking quest. Who woulda thought that driving an at Z would make me such a *****.

Ahh well the ladies still love me especially in J-ville
Old 09-26-2006, 03:49 AM
NewJerZ

MT FTW Always!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reichlj
Alright guys my 300C is automatic and my SE-R is manual. I love both manual and automatic. It just depends on needs and likes for the person. But, on my perspective I won't purchase a sport car automatic, it misses the fun. I dont' want to start a 20 page thread on hate. It just my point of view.
How about your Z? MT or AT?

You have a Z right?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Spec_Tacular

Why didn't you just make it a poll of how many of us are sailors?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:13 AM
MattL 7941

i dont see why alot of you guys hate on MT its still the same damn car, alot of people go through there AT times, chill its just a poll.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:09 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Auto Here.

My Z is a daily driver and I drive in traffic for at least 1-2 hours. It's not a matter of whether its a "sports car" or not. Its a matter of what your needs are. I'm not going to get a manual and have to deal with one more thing on top of talking to clients on the phone, trying to eat lunch, etc.

Plus for all the people who think the auto is slow, slap on a new valve body, torque converter, and TT and we'll see how SLOW an auto really is.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:11 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
I'm sure you could, but lets see how fast it takes for you to get into an accident. The things you pointed out were meant for an AUTO. People like you need to get an auto so that you don't kill innocent people on the road. Enough said.

Quick Reply: AT and MT owners