71.94%
Voters: 727. You may not vote on this poll

AT and MT owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:36 PM
HDPDZO6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolia
Most MT driver can't shift? Come on... How can you say such a thing ?
I'm just stereotyping like some MT owners that spew their crap about what a sports car is, etc. and how they are much more of a man than AT owners. I don't actually believe that one bit, just wanted to throw the ball the other way and it got the desired effects.

I especially love it when some young punk tries to tell everyone everything there is to know about vehicle control because of what type tranny they have (some with extremely limited driving experience). Tell ya what, drive OTR for several years on a Super-10/Straight-10 etc., and get back to me.

This AT owner is almost willing to bet that he has more miles on an MT than 99 pct of everyone else on this board...

So knock off the <insert transmission type> is better than the other. Thought we were one community???
Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 PM
cvt

I don't understand why these threads keep going on and on...

-fact the 6MT is a better performer bar none
-fact 5AT owners did not (or should not) have bought the car for performance rather a sporty touring car
-fact the Z is a car that fits to a market...having an elitist attitude that it's a hardcore sports car is stupid...since it's a 3500lbs. car with an altima engine...a hardcore sports car is an lotus exige.
-fact 5AT owners get too butthurt when they are called girls. they should let 6MT people bask in their superior knowledge and ownership of a manual simply because popular belief and society dictates it.
-fact 6MT owners think their $30K nissan pig of a car is a sports car...LOL
Old 09-27-2006, 08:48 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by cvt
I don't understand why these threads keep going on and on...

-fact the 6MT is a better performer bar none
-fact my 1/4 times and track times indicate otherwise. You seem to have left the driver out of the equation.
-fact 5AT owners did not (or should not) have bought the car for performance rather a sporty touring car
-fact who the hell are you or anyone else to dictate why someone bought whatever type of vehicle they chose?
-fact the Z is a car that fits to a market...having an elitist attitude that it's a hardcore sports car is stupid...since it's a 3500lbs. car with an altima engine...a hardcore sports car is an lotus exige.
-fact agree
-fact 5AT owners get too butthurt when they are called girls. they should let 6MT people bask in their superior knowledge and ownership of a manual simply because popular belief and society dictates it.
-fact had something snappy but didn't want to ruin that awesome display of tactful sarcasm.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:37 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
-fact had something snappy but didn't want to ruin that awesome display of tactful sarcasm
i was afraid it was too subtle too...lol.

btw-what are your track times? mods?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 PM
KAK's350

WHO THE HELL STARTED THIS?!?!?!

It dosent matter. With the right stuff under the hood anyone can be fast. MT could be faster off the line, but if you mis-shift then the AT would win.

The point is no matter what trans. you run on, someone... somewhere will always be faster. Dont act like AT or MT makes or breaks the car.

ITS STILL A ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:48 AM
MattL 7941

+1
Old 09-28-2006, 04:07 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I'm just stereotyping like some MT owners that spew their crap about what a sports car is, etc. and how they are much more of a man than AT owners. I don't actually believe that one bit, just wanted to throw the ball the other way and it got the desired effects.

I especially love it when some young punk tries to tell everyone everything there is to know about vehicle control because of what type tranny they have (some with extremely limited driving experience). Tell ya what, drive OTR for several years on a Super-10/Straight-10 etc., and get back to me.

This AT owner is almost willing to bet that he has more miles on an MT than 99 pct of everyone else on this board...

So knock off the <insert transmission type> is better than the other. Thought we were one community???
Who's OTR? That one is lost on me...

I don't know which tranny is better. I do know which one is more involving!

Manlier? I agree with you it has nothing to do with the tranny. Did you read that comment about a girl that said Guys that say they drive MT because it's manlier, say that 'cuz they have small d!cks. Some goes with big pick-up trucks? That was funny. Considering my Z Track and the Titan I have in my driveway... Lol

It's fun to poke at each other. What would we talk about otherwise ?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
KAK's350

+1
Old 09-28-2006, 08:49 AM
PythonLaX

Old 09-30-2006, 08:58 AM
CaliTouring

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
He's right about the "why would anyone get an automatic sport car"

Theres really no reason to get it automatic unless you dont wanna take a chance. Trafic shouldnt be the reason to get an automatic over an MT. I live in L.A, and would never get an automatic.

But I still respect everyones opinion/decision...

well my gf is thinking of getting a Z as well but she cant drive stick and is scared too so she might as well get the automatic one. thats a reason right there
Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Mid117

6 speeeeeeddddd
Old 09-30-2006, 10:30 AM
AParshall04

Originally Posted by daveZ insanity
The pumping losses in a modern AT are no more than 2 or 3 hp. It's the torque convertor that turns mechanical energy to heat - and that loss is virtually zero when the torque convertor is locked. With at least 4 solenoids for torque convertor lockup, multiple small-volume pumps for lubrication, a boost loop to return fluid to the pump inlet, and a single high-volume shift supply pump, today's ATs are nothing like the old 3 and 4 speed slushboxes you're thinking of.

One of the reasons I got an AT is the large number of people complaining about their manual trannys in Zs. There are lots of posts about crunching, bad synchros, rough shifting, and replaced 'boxes. I don't have time to visit my dealer about rough shifting. I don't miss stick in my daily driver - the car's so great otherwise that I love it, even with congenital absence of a pedal. But there's room in the world for both.
You may know a lot of cool AT terms but what it comes down to is dynos and its usually more around 15 less hp on the AT....not 2 or 3

Also regarding this thread, i think it is not as accurate as the real 350z world. I bet if we took took a survey of everyday guys that drive 350zs the AT #s would go way up. I'm pretty sure it's a tendancy for guys on this site to mod their Zs and I think that tendancy also goes hand-in-hand more often with the MT.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Zmego1985

I have a 283 wrhp auto and im happy. With my 3200 stall and sgp valve body im down for the manuals competition.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:51 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmego1985
I have a 283 wrhp auto and im happy. With my 3200 stall and sgp valve body im down for the manuals competition.
Just curious. What kind of 1/4 mile times do you turn.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by AParshall04
You may know a lot of cool AT terms but what it comes down to is dynos and its usually more around 15 less hp on the AT....not 2 or 3

Also regarding this thread, i think it is not as accurate as the real 350z world. I bet if we took took a survey of everyday guys that drive 350zs the AT #s would go way up. I'm pretty sure it's a tendancy for guys on this site to mod their Zs and I think that tendancy also goes hand-in-hand more often with the MT.
The MT has slightly more HP in the higher RPMs because it uses a shorter FD gear, not because of the transmission. The difference is about 2-4%. Also, if you look at the dyno for the AT, you'll see that the AT has better torque management in the low to mid RPMs. If the AT & MT used the same FD gear the dynos on the high RPM side would be almost identical. The reason the AT uses a taller FD is because a torque converter has the ability to vary the power and torque multiply while the transmission is uncoupled or unlocked. If the Z didn't have a speed limiter, the AT would have a higher speed due to the taller FD.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 09-30-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by efx
flamers unite!
You know how I know you're gay?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhah ^^
Old 10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
DJ Swing

Do any of you think age is a factor in regards to the automatic vs manual transmission debate? Are the drivers of manual transmission's younger and more free spirited , wanting to enjoy there car for the pure sport quality of the manual tranny. Versus the relatively older set who may have already gone the manual route and are kind of over it but they still want a sporty car but don't want to deal with the real world hassle of daily driving and traffic that is made much easer by having an automatic?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Mewantbfp

i was vote number 666
Old 10-18-2006, 12:28 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ Swing
Do any of you think age is a factor in regards to the automatic vs manual transmission debate? Are the drivers of manual transmission's younger and more free spirited , wanting to enjoy there car for the pure sport quality of the manual tranny. Versus the relatively older set who may have already gone the manual route and are kind of over it but they still want a sporty car but don't want to deal with the real world hassle of daily driving and traffic that is made much easer by having an automatic?
In my case it is. I have always had manual tranny's but now I have a bad knee and this is my daily driver/racer/etc. A 6MT would kill my left knee in commuter traffic. I can still putit in the manual mode when I feel racy. Best of both worlds fo me.

Quick Reply: AT and MT owners