Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

why does the z buck when shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Mr_Drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does the z buck when shifting?

ok, ever since i had the car, it has not shifted smoothly at all, especially in the lower gears. whenever i shift, it feels like the car rocks front to back real quick...unless I shift like a grandma, the car will not shift smooth. Any comments or suggestions?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:45 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have noticed that this car shifts much more smoothly at higher RPM than lower. This may be true for all cars, but what I know is that it's true for my Z. I always do notice a 'thud' when shifting into 2nd from 1st, regardless of the engine speed. As far as the rocking back and forth, I think what is happening is this: When you are accelerating in 1st gear you have two things helping you, which are the power going through the wheels and the momentum of the car itself. As soon as you disengage the engine from the transmission via the clutch, you are taking away the power going through the wheels which upsets the car's smooth motion to that point. Then when you engage the engine to the transmission in 2nd gear and give it some gas you of course regain that power to the wheels and take off again. I'm not sure if that's an accurate explanation but I imagine it has something to do with it.

Also, you mentioned that the rocking sensation goes away if you granny shift, and I imagine that most of the rocking is attributable to the abrupt disengaging of the clutch when shifting normally or during spirited driving. You have probably seen people revving their engine with their hoods open at car meets or whatever, and when the hit the throttle pretty hard and then let off the gas quickly you see the engine block snap from its loaded position to its natural unloaded position. This is also happening when you disengage the clutch...the engine goes from loaded to unloaded in milliseconds. The shifting of the engine's weight may also contribute to the rocking motion.

Another thought I am having is that cars tend to squat down on their springs when the engine is loaded up and they are accelerating. So when you pop the clutch the car is momentarily unloaded and the springs will succeed in pushing the weight of the car up off the ground which could cause it to buck a little. Then when you engage 2nd and give it gas the engine and suspension load up again. I imagine the car throws you forward a bit when you depress the clutch, then back toward your seat when you engage 2nd. That's what happens to me at least.

Last edited by sry110; 10-09-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:48 PM
zz350zz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's basically just the fact that it is classified as a sports car and not an economical daily driver for most people (I think it's perfect for me though). If you want a smooth shifting car/no tranny noise/soft clutch/and no notchy shifting.....then a corolla has your name written all over it.

If it is a serious problem....maybe there is something wrong...but I doubt it IMO
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM
DJ350z

the girl im seein refuses to drive in my car cuz she said she feels like shes ina rollercoaster and is afraid of getting whiplash. yea i gess thats why most people like autos ehh
Old 10-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by Mr_Drifter
ok, ever since i had the car, it has not shifted smoothly at all, especially in the lower gears. whenever i shift, it feels like the car rocks front to back real quick...unless I shift like a grandma, the car will not shift smooth. Any comments or suggestions?
I get this to. I hate it! It makes me feel like the car is piece of crap! I hate little things like that. That's just because I'm so damn picky

P.S. I don't think the Z is a Piece Of Crap. I'm sorry I said that about you Z!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

YOu guys need to practice your shifting technique....sorry but its true, I can take you out in any gear and any rpm, full throttle or no throttle and show you how to shift it with no "buck".
Old 10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by DJ350z
the girl im seein refuses to drive in my car cuz she said she feels like shes ina rollercoaster and is afraid of getting whiplash. yea i gess thats why most people like autos ehh

lol dude you got a Z, get a new girl. JK.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Azn_Empurio

it depends if u wanna sacrifice the clutch a little to make it smooth
Old 10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
DJ350z

at least my car doesnt ***** at me and give me probs like most girls do
Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its possible that you are letting the RPM drop too far, and coming in hard on the next gear. Go to a 350Z meet and ride along with a more experienced driver.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by mario60185
YOu guys need to practice your shifting technique....sorry but its true, I can take you out in any gear and any rpm, full throttle or no throttle and show you how to shift it with no "buck".
My shifting technique isn't anything I should work on. It's just I don't like to rev and burn my clutch for a better shift. I just try to get in and out as quickly as possible. So I agree with what this guy said.
Originally Posted by Azn Empurio
it depends if u wanna sacrifice the clutch a little to make it smooth
Old 10-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Built2shredZ

When I first got my Z i had the bucking issue, but after a few weeks of driving its gone away... Just takes practice.... I think its something that is common among all sports car with a lot of HP and Torque... Just need to practice your shifting.. Although I still get it every once in awhile...
Old 10-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
When I first got my Z i had the bucking issue, but after a few weeks of driving its gone away... Just takes practice.... I think its something that is common among all sports car with a lot of HP and Torque... Just need to practice your shifting.. Although I still get it every once in awhile...
you're also having to rev while you have the clutch in to let out for a smooth shift. So you're burning clutch a lot through out the day appose to how I shift.

When I shift I want to get my foot out with out having to burn my clutch to do so. So that means I pop the clutch just a tad which is giving me the "Bucking". I can drive and make it smooth but I just don't like the idea of wasting my clutch away.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Built2shredZ

I don't hold in the clutch at all, my shifts are quick so im not burning the clutch... I've been driving manual cars for over 18 years and i've never burned out a clutch...

I think your problem is your releasing the clutch to fast... Need to find the middle ground between releasing it to slow (clutch burn) and releasing it to fast (bucking)..
Old 10-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Xx SiFaKa

I don't hold in the clutch at all, my shifts are quick so im not burning the clutch... I've been driving manual cars for over 18 years and i've never burned out a clutch...

I think your problem is your releasing the clutch to fast... Need to find the middle ground between releasing it to slow (clutch burn) and releasing it to fast (bucking)..
Well since you've been driving Manuals so long I will take your word for it. I don't see how you don't use the clutch at all?

what do you mean you're shifts are so quick you don't burn the clutch?

I think your problem is your releasing the clutch to fast... Need to find the middle ground between releasing it to slow (clutch burn) and releasing it to fast (bucking).
I agree that I'm releasing the clutch out too slow. I do it because I'm so picky about burning my clutch. It's like a pet peeve to me I guess?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:13 PM
kdogg24

Originally Posted by DJ350z
To make a smooth ride you have to shift in the low rpm range and not hit the gas like you want to. It is possible, I do it when I really want to, but it's too much fun to hit the pedal hard!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by Xx SiFaKa
Well since you've been driving Manuals so long I will take your word for it. I don't see how you don't use the clutch at all?

what do you mean you're shifts are so quick you don't burn the clutch?
Let me rephrase that, I let the clutch out fast enough that im not burning it. Remember our clutchs are not made out of paper... it can handle some abuse...

I've own two cars so far that I have put over 100k miles on, a Toyota 4x4 truck and Honda accord.. I did have to replace the clutch on the Toyota after 90k miles, but when I sold the accord the clutch was still good, although I did start to notice a little slippage but it wasint that noticable yet.

From my personal experience and what i've seen other people get you should on average get around 80k-100k miles out of a clutch before you need to replace it.

Most clutches wear out because of people racing there car a lot... Unless the person is really riding there clutch, you should get a long life out of it with normal driving...

I agree that I'm releasing the clutch out too slow. I do it because I'm so picky about burning my clutch. It's like a pet peeve to me I guess?

It could be that your also giving to much gas as you release the clutch (along with letting it out to fast), might want to practice with the gas pedal as you relase the clutch.. with practice you should find a good balance..

Just remember you will never get 100% perfect smooth shifts all the time, if you want that you gotta get an automatic... but with practice you should be able to make it so you hardly notice it..

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 10-09-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:10 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Originally Posted by Xx SiFaKa
My shifting technique isn't anything I should work on. It's just I don't like to rev and burn my clutch for a better shift. I just try to get in and out as quickly as possible. So I agree with what this guy said.

Uhhh...I disagree. Im not burning my clutch, and im not bucking either. Suck in that pride and learn to shift.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by mario60185
Uhhh...I disagree. Im not burning my clutch, and im not bucking either. Suck in that pride and learn to shift.
I wasn't trying to hide my pride? I was letting you know that I let the pedal out fast or else I feel like I'm wasting my clutch away.

Don't get the wrong idea, I do know how to shift. I don't think it's suppose to be hard to shift, Maybe downshifting. I would just rather get a "Buck" instead of burn my clutch. I do see how you thought I was trying to "Hide my pride".
Old 10-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Jenn350Z

Just takes a bit of practice and things smooth out

Quick Reply: why does the z buck when shifting?