Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Brakes + Alignement + Bad Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006 | 01:18 PM
rezaXcentral

Default Brakes + Alignement + Bad Dealership

I took my car into a local Nissan Dealership (Mossy Nissan San Diego) to have them check and replace the front brakes. I also asked them to check the alignment issue because my Z has defintaly been affected.

#1 They say my front rotors need to be replaced and that they won't replace the pads without the rotors. Has anyone heard of this?

#2 Even though there is terrible wear on the inner portion of my front tires, they said its normal wear and that I DO need new tires, but that I have to pay for them, and that I have to pay for the alignment as well.

Suffice it to say I was fuming. I've already filed a complaint with Nissan, but I'd like to know if anyone else has ever had this issue with brake pad replacement and also how the alignement warrenty issue went, for those of you that have had the service done.

Thanks,
Reza
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:29 PM
Lerxst

What's the mileage on the pads? Mileage on the rotors?
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:30 PM
rezaXcentral

21000 miles. I can completely understand the pads, but the rotors too?

Also anyone on the wheel alignment issue?
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:30 PM
davidv

#1 They say my front rotors need to be replaced and that they won't replace the pads without the rotors. Has anyone heard of this?

No. I recommend turning the rotors when you replace pads. If the rotors are too thin to be turned, they must be replaced.

#2 Even though there is terrible wear on the inner portion of my front tires, they said its normal wear and that I DO need new tires, but that I have to pay for them, and that I have to pay for the alignment as well.

Correct. I believe that the free alignment and free tire offer is over.
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:32 PM
rezaXcentral

No man, the warrenty is extended for another couple of years with unlimited mileage. Its on them to pick up the tab for the alignment. I'm even willing to pay for some of the tires, but not the whole thing. 1/2 of the problem is because of their alignment issue, not normal wear.
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:43 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by rezaXcentral
No man, the warrenty is extended for another couple of years with unlimited mileage. Its on them to pick up the tab for the alignment. I'm even willing to pay for some of the tires, but not the whole thing. 1/2 of the problem is because of their alignment issue, not normal wear.
Cool. It has been a long time since I have seen that paperwork. I got my copy from Z-Sport magazine. The tires are pro-rated. Maybe one of our members can hook you up with the paperwork. Show it to your service manager.

In fact Nissan gave me $320 for tires.

Last edited by davidv; 10-13-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:47 PM
rezaXcentral

Yeah, the service manager knows, but he says its my fault, and that its normal wear, he's a complete idiot.
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:50 PM
rezaXcentral

Also, anyone ever been tooled around by a nissan dealer saying they wont change only the pads and that I must change the rotors as well?
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:53 PM
davidv

Find a dealership that is up-to-date withy the latest 350Z tire-alignment policy. Buy new tires. Send the bill to Nissan. Get a free alignment.
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:55 PM
BawlZTT

changing your pads is a 10 minute job, 30 minutes max if you don't know what your doing an need directions. I have 50k+ and I am just now getting new rotors, not for wear but for the fact that I want slotted. Take your car to another dealership for the tires. This manager is obviously an assclown and it will be more of a pain in the *** working with him then driving 50+ miles to another dealership.
Old 10-13-2006 | 01:58 PM
rezaXcentral

Thanks Man. Exactly what I thought. I've already filed a claim with Nissan so I'll wait for them and see what I can do with these idiots.

Anyone else?
Old 10-13-2006 | 02:00 PM
Ztalker

badly worn rotors and warped rotors must be replaced or resurfaced if possible. i replaced my front pads at 16k and my original rotors were still in excellent condition.
Old 10-13-2006 | 03:57 PM
Moonmm

Tustin Nissan in (you guessed it Tustin,CA) stiffed me for new rotors at 30k when I needed new pads. They always wait until the car is in the service bay before they mention this. The new rotors were warped and feel worse than the originals. This of course assumes that they actually changed out the rotors. I do 80 miles a day most of it at 80+ MPH across Camp Pendleton on "the five" to North San Diego County and that is the reason for the long life on the pads. FWIW I complained about the clutch engagement on my 05 roadster at the same visit ( I have since used the fix I found on one of the forums). They were happy to resolve my complaint by replacing the clutch for $2500. First and last time I have been to them.

Anyone know of a reputable shop in South Orange County or North San Diego County? I just don't have the time to run to and from dealers just to get screwed. My mileage accumulates fast and now, at 50k miles I will be due shortly for a major service and brakes again.
Old 10-13-2006 | 04:48 PM
Ichigo

Does anyone have a link to the above mentioned paperwork/form? I was trying to find an average dealer charge for an alignment as the insides of my front tires are bald on every other tread and I stumbled on this thread. Im about to pull the trigger on new rims and tires. What am I entitled to if I bring the rims into the dealer with the tires already mounted? (my boss is hooking me up with rims and tires at his cost)

Sorry for the thread jack

Last edited by Ichigo; 10-13-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2006 | 05:33 PM
rezaXcentral

UPDATE: So after arguing with the dealership for a while, he finally did an alignment free of charge, what does that tell me? That the alignment was off and that they were required to do it free of charge, but they still wouldn't budge on the tires (idiots), so I'm waiting for a regional rep to call me back from Nissan. They pretty much fell into a trap by doing a free alignment. All that will tell Nissan is that my alignment WAS off and that I DO require new tires because of them.

Basically you should just go straight to Nissan North America and file a claim. I'm waiting for a regional rep to call me back so we can sort this out with the stupid dealership on monday.

Really...does anyone know a good reputable Nissan dealership in OC/SD area? I can't believe that there service would be this bad. On the brighter side, Nissan North America has been a pleasure to deal with so far.