Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z is gone, Hello STi !

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
triso07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, did you lose money on the deal?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 AM
iceagetlc

To the guy trying to explain why driving on the street is different from rally- please...

The STi (lowercase "I", looks cooler, ask any scooby owner) is rally "INSPIRED", not rally "prepared". They obviously meant for it to be driven on the road, as no company would try to sell such a plain grocery getter and expect people to know it should be in the mud.

A few light mods change this, but it definitely not dead on the street right out of the box.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

How much did your insurance go up?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zand02max
How much did your insurance go up?
Mine went up $32 every 6 months.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:58 AM
On Nightfall

Congrats on the sti! It has outstanding performance. I would never get one though... To me a sports car needs both performance and eye candy.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:25 AM
xNeo

When I test drove the STi, my girlfriend said it looks like a big model car...looks like someone put it together their self.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT HAS DETERMINED THAT THIS THREAD HAS BEEN INFECTED WITH A DISEASE THAT COULD BE EXTREMELY HARMFUL TO HAPPY NISSAN 350Z OWNERS. THE MERE READING OF THIS THREAD COULD CAUSE ONE TO TEMPORARILY LOSE THEIR MIND AND CONTEMPLATE SELLING THEIR BELOVED 350Z. YOU ARE ADVISED TO IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THIS THREAD NEVER TO COME BACK. THE ONLY CURE FOR THIS DANGEROUS CONDITION IS TO GO DIRECTLY TO YOUR CAR AND GO FOR AN EXTENDED DRIVE. THIS AND ONLY THIS WILL CURE YOUR OF THIS INSIDIOUS DISEASE
Old 11-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Rexy7

Originally Posted by z350boy
THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT HAS DETERMINED THAT THIS THREAD HAS BEEN INFECTED WITH A DISEASE THAT COULD BE EXTREMELY HARMFUL TO HAPPY NISSAN 350Z OWNERS. THE MERE READING OF THIS THREAD COULD CAUSE ONE TO TEMPORARILY LOSE THEIR MIND AND CONTEMPLATE SELLING THEIR BELOVED 350Z. YOU ARE ADVISED TO IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THIS THREAD NEVER TO COME BACK. THE ONLY CURE FOR THIS DANGEROUS CONDITION IS TO GO DIRECTLY TO YOUR CAR AND GO FOR AN EXTENDED DRIVE. THIS AND ONLY THIS WILL CURE YOUR OF THIS INSIDIOUS DISEASE
LOL, I THINK I AM IMMUNE TO GETTING UGLY CARS, NO OFFENSE TO STI OWNERS.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 AM
BlackZero6

i respect the evo/sti very much so...i think they are awesome performance machines and the looks aren't all that bad....but the Z is just plain sexy...i love my car
Old 11-08-2006, 07:45 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRacerX
Yes I agree Z is more stylish and luxurious, but speed accel and handling, STi hands down...Here is a pic I took before leaving the Z..
Sorry but the PINK STi on the stearing wheel .... of all the colors why pink?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 AM
invisible-z

would like to add that turbo times are not required on STi. They are designed to cool itself even when the engine is off. check www.nasioc.com

I have a v-limited STi and I found out after I put on the turbo timer.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 AM
V8killer2pt5

Originally Posted by invisible-z
would like to add that turbo times are not required on STi. They are designed to cool itself even when the engine is off. check www.nasioc.com

I have a v-limited STi and I found out after I put on the turbo timer.

Correct turbo timers not needed our turbos are oil and water cooled, hence no need to cool down the turbo. But I have a TT in mine better to err on the safe side and does not hurt anything.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:24 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife and I want to get a used STI someday to go drive around in the dirt - actually rallying sorta stuff

ironically we think it'll look better beat up on and dirty than trying to look all showcar

Last edited by sentry65; 11-08-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexy7
LOL, I THINK I AM IMMUNE TO GETTING UGLY CARS, NO OFFENSE TO STI OWNERS.
+1 lol, i have much respect for the performance of these beasts, but i would never be caught dead driving one. azn driving a sti = big rice alert.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
youngZ33

thought we were all car enthusiast's? sti evo srt4, all great cars

enjoy the sti. had one before, was fun
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 PM
evolved326

Why do people choose the STI over the EVO? No sarcasm, I jsut never see the point. Evo looks way better and performs better (from what Ive gathered).
Old 11-08-2006, 11:48 PM
user 72710

Hello,

I love the STi (err re the STI / STi comment, Subaru of America thought Americans were too dumb to understand the lowercase i, so starting with the 2006 model, they changed the name to STI, dumping more than a decade of STi capitalization). For 5 years, I crew chief'd Subaru racing teams and I've been a Subaru owner for 10 years (family owned them for 30+ years already).

I currently own a 2005 STi and just recently sold my 2005 Outback XT (Cobb Stage 2+, was just as fast as the STi in a straight line - replaced it with an Xterra). I love my STi. It's a total toy. It's an econobox, with an econobox interior, and feels totally cheap, and you completely forget that as soon as you floor the pedal and start tossing the car around. It latches onto the primal race core that we've all got, and so long as the aesthetics and constant rattles and the knocking stock struts don't bother you enough to wake you out of the dream state that driving it puts you into, you're golden.

Now that I'm becoming an expert with the 350Z, though, I have to admit, I really love the engineering that went into the 350Z. It's a whole class above the STi, when it comes to sports car heritage and design. It's a real sports car, built from the ground up with sporting considerations at the forefront. The suspension design, the transmission, the engine... it's all good stuff. You just trade a little performance for a whole lot of build quality and refinement.

In fact... now that I am intimately familiar with the car, I kinda want a 350Z... I just wouldn't be able to give up the extra go-power that the STI has. I'd have to boost the 350Z Or wait for the GTR... Woot!

Joel
Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 PM
user 72710

Hello,

evolved326: for me, it's my long term relationship with Subarus. The lower boost, bigger displacement motor has a more forgiving powerband. So being in the wrong gear isn't as important in the STI as it is in the EVO. Also, I keep expecting Mitsubishi to announce that they're going out of business, so it kind of scares me when it comes to owning one I really hope they figure out whatever they need to figure out, but they're constantly on the brink...

But in the end, I actually think I would be equally happy in either car and I love them both. I'm really glad that both cars are selling relatively well, and that these two cars seemed to have turned the tide and gotten a lot of respect for Japanese performance from the Domestic Car fans. The EVO-STI constant battle is incredibly good for Nissan, Honda, etc., and is paving the way for real Japanese performance, like the GTR and Supra and other such cars.

BTW, I think most of the magazines agreed that the EVO performed better but the authors would all rather have the STI as a daily driver...

Joel
Old 11-09-2006, 03:27 AM
LIdrew

Originally Posted by Joel Gat
Hello,

evolved326: for me, it's my long term relationship with Subarus. The lower boost, bigger displacement motor has a more forgiving powerband. So being in the wrong gear isn't as important in the STI as it is in the EVO. Also, I keep expecting Mitsubishi to announce that they're going out of business, so it kind of scares me when it comes to owning one I really hope they figure out whatever they need to figure out, but they're constantly on the brink...

But in the end, I actually think I would be equally happy in either car and I love them both. I'm really glad that both cars are selling relatively well, and that these two cars seemed to have turned the tide and gotten a lot of respect for Japanese performance from the Domestic Car fans. The EVO-STI constant battle is incredibly good for Nissan, Honda, etc., and is paving the way for real Japanese performance, like the GTR and Supra and other such cars.

BTW, I think most of the magazines agreed that the EVO performed better but the authors would all rather have the STI as a daily driver...

Joel
+1 on Mitsu on the brink. Reason being all their cars except the EVo suck. They should bring back the Diamante with a nice sleek design. The Diamante was a ncie car. When I look at the new Eclipse and Galant....

BTW I am an STi fan and have been considering trading my Z for one, because I have had alot of problems with the Z and was wanting something more practical for NY driving. Also for about $1,500 you can get 80 HP and around 100 TQ out of the STi. My only problem is that the Z is one of the most beautifully designed cars in history and is a great perfomer as well.

I like the EVO looks better, but I heard they do not honor warranties even if you don't mod the car. I have had so much warranty work done on my Z that I couldn't risk a Mitsu.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:45 AM
V8killer2pt5

Well why I chose the Sti over the Evo, alot of things come to mind. The Sti stand up better to mods. Evo's are notorious for the clutches and other drivetrain parts giving up the ghost. Plus if your familar with them you know the dealers provide poor service and agggresively go out of their way to void warranties. How do I know the other half of our Suby club is Evos, and one employee of Mitsu posted up about dealerships taking pics of the cars when they come into service; ammo for warranty denial when and if you need work done. They then pull out the pics and show you where you modded the car.

My dealership mods the cars and does their best to cover you with any unrelated items. So you have a exhaust, no big deal your covered. As long as it's not evident you abused the car or did something to contribute to the failure. As for cheap interior I don't care I have 3 other cars that take of any complaints one would have for the Sti. I have plenty of miles and no strut clunk, and lol maybe a rattle or 2.

Lastly the Evo might perform better by a marginal amount on the track but for daily street driving the Sti blows it away. Does not have that dangerous go cart response which can bite you if you slip up, or on rough roads where a track oriented suspension tends to wander all over the place. Either way to each his own and as far as me I am a enthusiast of all cars. Hence my presence here, plus I am friends with a few guys.

Quick Reply: 350Z is gone, Hello STi !