Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z is gone, Hello STi !

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:09 AM
miloz31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=V8killer2pt5]Well why I chose the Sti over the Evo, alot of things come to mind. The Sti stand up better to mods.QUOTE]

I really doubt that..............considering that the Evo 9 reacts better to mods compared to Sti.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 AM
iknowitsfast

The STi is an ungodly fast car. Love the speed of it, just HATE the look of it. But im sure you will enjoy it. good luck
Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 AM
V8killer2pt5

[QUOTE=miloz31]
Originally Posted by V8killer2pt5
Well why I chose the Sti over the Evo, alot of things come to mind. The Sti stand up better to mods.QUOTE]

I really doubt that..............considering that the Evo 9 reacts better to mods compared to Sti.
My friend you did not read what I wrote, the Sti stands up better not reacts better. But the reason why the Evo reacts better is a bigger stock turbo no mystery there. I speak from experience with the Evo owners that are my friends, they start breaking transfer cases, clutches giving way......etc. Sti's typically with the same power don't break as easily.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 AM
BlackPrint

You should have gone with a red evo, they just look amazing at night
Old 11-09-2006, 09:51 AM
miloz31

[QUOTE=V8killer2pt5]
Originally Posted by miloz31

My friend you did not read what I wrote, the Sti stands up better not reacts better. But the reason why the Evo reacts better is a bigger stock turbo no mystery there. I speak from experience with the Evo owners that are my friends, they start breaking transfer cases, clutches giving way......etc. Sti's typically with the same power don't break as easily.

I read your post my friend, just miss understood it. Anyway, I still have to disagree with your prior post. I work at a tuner shop in Texas and have seen several STI's with blown motor due to knock and detonation issues and damaged transmissions as well.

As for the Evo 9 reacting better due to the bigger turbo, your correct but, don't forget the MIVEC......this actually helps out as well.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 AM
V8killer2pt5

[QUOTE=miloz31]

I read your post my friend, just miss understood it. Anyway, I still have to disagree with your prior post. I work at a tuner shop in Texas and have seen several STI's with blown motor due to knock and detonation issues and damaged transmissions as well.

As for the Evo 9 reacting better due to the bigger turbo, your correct but, don't forget the MIVEC......this actually helps out as well.
LOL any Sti with a damaged tranny is 99 percent based on the user more than a inheriant tranny weakness. The blown motor due to knock I will attribute to part user and mostly tuner related. Not to say these things won't happen but with reasonable power the Sti holds up well. Based off our Evo brother's forums you will see alot more failures mostly related to driveline. The Evo motor is more stout than the Sti at higher power levels. As for Mivec that is the equivalent of our AVCS.

In keeping with the main idea of the thread to each his own. I am currently running a big turbo setup on my Sti, no issues what so ever not even burning oil which is common.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:26 AM
miloz31

[QUOTE=V8killer2pt5]

LOL any Sti with a damaged tranny is 99 percent based on the user more than a inheriant tranny weakness. The blown motor due to knock I will attribute to part user and mostly tuner related. Not to say these things won't happen but with reasonable power the Sti holds up well. Based off our Evo brother's forums you will see alot more failures mostly related to driveline. The Evo motor is more stout than the Sti at higher power levels. As for Mivec that is the equivalent of our AVCS.

In keeping with the main idea of the thread to each his own. I am currently running a big turbo setup on my Sti, no issues what so ever not even burning oil which is common.

Bwuhahaha. I heard several stock STI motor knocking without any type of ECU reflash. So no tuner related issues contributed to the blown motor.

Are you have any issues with your Perrin intake pipe?

What kind of HP and TQ numbers are you putting down?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:44 AM
user 72710

Hello,
Bwuhahaha. I heard several stock STI motor knocking without any type of ECU reflash. So no tuner related issues contributed to the blown motor.
Heh... that's the infamous 91 octane problem. Japan doesn't seem to realize just how crappy California gas can be! So in 2004, there were lots of STi's that were knocking in bone stock configuration. Every state that has CA-like gas had cars that were knocking. In 2005, they came out with a better mapping, but they were once again not prepared for CA gas. So some (nowhere near as many) 2005 STis knock. Mine knocks on "bad" tanks of gas, but not normally. Every once in a while, I'll get a tank of gas that knocks.

The solution, quite nicely, is to get an AccessPort. Reflash your bone stock car, get more power across the entire powerband, and stop knocking... Why Trey can get it right while Japan can't, however, is beyond me!

But hey, them's the breaks when you're driving such a great driveline for so cheap.

Joel
Old 11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
V8killer2pt5

[QUOTE=miloz31]

Are you have any issues with your Perrin intake pipe?

What kind of HP and TQ numbers are you putting down?

The knock your refering to on stock Sti's is common not detrimental. In the owner's manual it is addressed, but I highly doubt this is why those cars you saw grenaded if that is what happend to them. I have no issues with my big maf simply because I have one of the best tuners working on my car, and the big maf was needed to work with the larger turbo. Eventually I will do a blow through setup on the cold charge side of the ic piping. As for power god knows I have not dynoed yet and makes no sense since I am also doing Methanol injection. I speak from experience, being a member of 2 local Suby clubs with well over 400 members I have yet to see a stock Sti blow a motor from just driving it. This does not include some idiot over reving the car and trying to pass it off as "I don't know what happened?"
Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 PM
nebolic

sorry to break it to you bro but your friends do not know how to drive the Evo if they are breaking clutches and transfer case.

I am speaking from a LOT of experience.

The Evo reacts better to mods because the 4G63 has been around for a long, long time, the USDM STi motor is relatively new... not the true 2.0 liter from Japan.

nebo

Last edited by nebolic; 11-09-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:20 PM
miloz31

[QUOTE=nebolic]

sorry to break it to you bro but your friends do not know how to drive the Evo if they are breaking clutches and transfer case.

I am speaking from a LOT of experience.

The Evo reacts better to mods because the 4G63 has been around for a long, long time, the USDM STi motor is relatively new... not the true 2.0 liter from Japan.

nebo

Werd
Old 11-09-2006, 12:25 PM
infamous350

Default hgfh

i agree hands down the sti is better quality then the evo i mean seriously mistubishi cars suck always have there crap dont mean to be such a dick but its tru i mean my cousins galant wiht 40000 miles automatic trannie falure and they have no resale value they just suck i would stil keep my z even though i been thinkin about the sti cause im afraid of the snow and my 45 mile commute to work but subi over the mistu anyday and nissan over both of them my max had 200000 miles original clutch tranny and motor wanna see a mistu or a subi do that hahah
Old 11-09-2006, 12:27 PM
miloz31

[QUOTE=V8killer2pt5]

The knock your refering to on stock Sti's is common not detrimental. In the owner's manual it is addressed, but I highly doubt this is why those cars you saw grenaded if that is what happend to them. I have no issues with my big maf simply because I have one of the best tuners working on my car, and the big maf was needed to work with the larger turbo. Eventually I will do a blow through setup on the cold charge side of the ic piping. As for power god knows I have not dynoed yet and makes no sense since I am also doing Methanol injection. I speak from experience, being a member of 2 local Suby clubs with well over 400 members I have yet to see a stock Sti blow a motor from just driving it. This does not include some idiot over reving the car and trying to pass it off as "I don't know what happened?"

If the knock you are refering to as COMMON and NOT DETRIMENTAL to the motor. Then explain why Subaru of Amercia was ask STI owners to return to the dealer for a ecu reflash to prevent the knock

Last edited by miloz31; 11-09-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
V8killer2pt5

[QUOTE=miloz31]

If the knock you are refering to as COMMON and NOT DETRIMENTAL to the motor. Then explain why Subaru of Amercia was ask STI owners to return to the dealer for a ecu reflash to prevent the knock

Ok quick rebuttal....about my friends not knowing how to drive well with a bolt on evo are in the low 12's.....my point is at higer modded levels Evo's tend to give out in certain parts. This is not assumption but a proven fact.

Now as for the recall I am well aware of it and that was not all years just a certain particular segment. I can scan where it says in the owners manual that knocking under hard acceleration is normal.....but they word it different. The Suby ecu's are more forgiving than the Mitsu counterparts. But I digress...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:58 PM
iceburns288

Originally Posted by Joel Gat
Hello,

I love the STi (err re the STI / STi comment, Subaru of America thought Americans were too dumb to understand the lowercase i, so starting with the 2006 model, they changed the name to STI, dumping more than a decade of STi capitalization). For 5 years, I crew chief'd Subaru racing teams and I've been a Subaru owner for 10 years (family owned them for 30+ years already).

I currently own a 2005 STi and just recently sold my 2005 Outback XT (Cobb Stage 2+, was just as fast as the STi in a straight line - replaced it with an Xterra). I love my STi. It's a total toy. It's an econobox, with an econobox interior, and feels totally cheap, and you completely forget that as soon as you floor the pedal and start tossing the car around. It latches onto the primal race core that we've all got, and so long as the aesthetics and constant rattles and the knocking stock struts don't bother you enough to wake you out of the dream state that driving it puts you into, you're golden.

Now that I'm becoming an expert with the 350Z, though, I have to admit, I really love the engineering that went into the 350Z. It's a whole class above the STi, when it comes to sports car heritage and design. It's a real sports car, built from the ground up with sporting considerations at the forefront. The suspension design, the transmission, the engine... it's all good stuff. You just trade a little performance for a whole lot of build quality and refinement.

In fact... now that I am intimately familiar with the car, I kinda want a 350Z... I just wouldn't be able to give up the extra go-power that the STI has. I'd have to boost the 350Z Or wait for the GTR... Woot!

Joel
Joel, I appreciate your respect and well-rounded perspective. On single-make car forums, it's rare to see someone I can tell is a true car enthusiast: someone with an appreciation for all kinds of cars.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:14 PM
trentor

+1. very nice
Old 11-10-2006, 09:30 AM
joegengsta

funny stuff. i had a 400 hp (11.7 at 119) STi, hated it. test drove an evo, i though i was sitting in a kia rio, and then got the Z and was amazed. sure, it's not as fast, but damn does it make up with it's good looks and overall quality. sitting in the sti/evo just felt like an econobox racer, the Z felt so much more solid
Old 11-10-2006, 10:08 AM
V8killer2pt5

Question

Originally Posted by joegengsta
funny stuff. i had a 400 hp (11.7 at 119) STi, hated it. test drove an evo, i though i was sitting in a kia rio, and then got the Z and was amazed. sure, it's not as fast, but damn does it make up with it's good looks and overall quality. sitting in the sti/evo just felt like an econobox racer, the Z felt so much more solid

Not really clear what did you hate about your 11sec Sti? What mods did you have?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Jenn350Z

Does yours have the cool blue suede interior?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:07 AM
joegengsta

^^ they all have that blue interior, which in my opinion was cool at first but looked childish after a couple weeks

To answer why i didnt like my sti..:i didn't like the steering response, the car was so brutish and unrefined around down, i tap the gas, it either gave no power at all or just the power came on too much too quick. Driving around town was like piloting a Nasa spaceship on the city streets. Granted the STi interior > Evo's plastic ness.. everytime i sat in it, i was always reminded that it... it's still a sedan... to me sedan sport car was more of an oxymoron than jumbo shrimp. I dunno, i guess i just end up getting bored with the car. getting in was no longer exciting. But! when i first reached my hand towards the aluminum door hangle on the z... closing the door, and then it electronically shuts it some more...sitting in leather... damn... it's just such a better feeling. 350z all the way!

btw here is my sti...

go fast mods:
4.5" to 3" ti turboback
protuned cobb AP
monster tmic
600cc/255lph
excedy twin disk
k/n drop in

Quick Reply: 350Z is gone, Hello STi !