350z or s2000?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Ok hands down, Combat wins...

I'm trading in my Z for an s2000 tomorrow.
Yes

Don't forget your Type-R sticker
Old 12-18-2006, 10:49 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Combat350z
I have the 2.2. If you find an S with a lightweight exhaust, gears, and the spare and tools removed it will be a different story. With gears you'll be up in VTEC a lot sooner. Plus with a lighter exhaust and the spare and tools removed along with the stock airbox gone that is easily 80lbs or more gone.
But I could do the same as well

The Z is definitely no slouch when it comes to top end.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Paul55100

I have the 2.2. If you find an S with a lightweight exhaust, gears, and the spare and tools removed it will be a different story. With gears you'll be up in VTEC a lot sooner. Plus with a lighter exhaust and the spare and tools removed along with the stock airbox gone that is easily 80lbs or more gone.
Even with your gears, it will be tough running a Z from a roll. In a 1/4 mile race, the S is faster, but higher the speed, the better it looks for the Z.

I wish the S was a bit more aerodynamic. That windshield almost looks like a wall compared to the Z or an E46 M3.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:15 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by Abiding Dude
It's a track-car and it's hard-core, but if you need anything beyond a weekend racer look elsewhere is my advice.
What I really don't understand is if it is such a hardcore car, why did they make it a convertible and be banned from racing or scared from a roll over?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by streetracer
What I really don't understand is if it is such a hardcore car, why did they make it a convertible and be banned from racing or scared from a roll over?
Not sure where you're from but last I checked tons of S's race.

Why is it a convertible. You can have a verte and still be a sports car. Its lighter than the Z and just as ridgid.

What I don't understand is if the Z is such a good sports car why it offers heated seats, navi, auto climate control and an auto tranny. I mean if it was really so sporty it wouldn't have that ****

That is about as smart as your comment
Old 12-18-2006, 11:23 AM
blasian

Not sure where you're from but last I checked tons of S's race.

Why is it a convertible. You can have a verte and still be a sports car. Its lighter than the Z and just as ridgid.

What I don't understand is if the Z is such a good sports car why it offers heated seats, navi, auto climate control and an auto tranny. I mean if it was really so sporty it wouldn't have that ****

Actually, thats the thing about the Z. Its not a "hardcore" sports car. Hell, I love my heated seats and auto climate control

I was actually going to defend that by saying that the S2k has a hardtop if that makes him feel any better. I mean, I don't exactly get his comments but oh well. Its not like the S2k is a sport compact or anything.

I was pretty close to making a vid for some of the local S2k owners since they love to call the Z a pig. I'm sure a vid from 40-140 in 5th gear would be a vid they couldn't make
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
streetracer

I have a base that doesn't have any of that crap. And if you like to race without a roll cage in a convertible, be my guest. Same thing happened with the Viper and they had to release the coupe, genius

Guess we have more than a few knowitalls around here. And what the hell does it matter were I'm from.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
The Z Guy

Driven both cars, and nothing compare to the great cornering and handling of the s2000, just pure perfection.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:27 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by The Z Guy
Driven both cars, and nothing compare to the great cornering and handling of the s2000, just pure perfection.
I wish I could have driven one but I think my decision was already made. Plus, torque is more useful imo.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by blasian
I was actually going to defend that by saying that the S2k has a hardtop if that makes him feel any better.
Yes, but it may fall off in a roll over. I certainly would not feel secure racing it stock.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove both and the Porsche Boxter S, 996, and the Audi TT. I bought the one I liked best.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Combat350z
Banned

I have a base that doesn't have any of that crap. And if you like to race without a roll cage in a convertible, be my guest. Same thing happened with the Viper and they had to release the coupe, genius

Guess we have more than a few knowitalls around here. And what the hell does it matter were I'm from.
Well seeing how I've seen pics of an S rolling over and both drivers walked away, that says something about the structural strength of the integrated roll bars on it.

Oh and guess what you can get one put in*gasp*.

I guess you don't realize that sometimes things are said not to be taken literally thus the I don't know where you're from comment.

I would bet more people race their S's than Z per capita. Why because out of the Z guys I know here almost none of them race where as the same number of S guys I know almost all race.

Fact is the S is more of a race car than the Z. The Z is more like a GT. Fast but comfy. Yes I love the Z. I'll get another one but the fact is the S is nimbler, a better auto-cross vehicle especially in stock form and can run with a Z while having 60few hp and several hundered lbs less weight.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by blasian
I wish I could have driven one but I think my decision was already made. Plus, torque is more useful imo.
Yea torque is nice but nothing beats the screaming of the S's engine and when it hits vtec its a delight
Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 AM
dirtywally

The S2K is definitely closer to a pure sports car than a Z/G. the '00 model I tested out beat the crap out of me, but was incredibly fun. They softened up the AP2, from what I understand, but it is still a big difference from a Z.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:35 AM
blasian

Yea torque is nice but nothing beats the screaming of the S's engine and when it hits vtec its a delight
Hehe, I have ridden in an S before and it was cool. I've ridden in plenty of other vehicles with VTEC before so I guess it wasn't anything new for me, especially owner a Honda before the Z.

Took the owner for a ride in the Z and was blown away by the acceleration. Not to mention, the great tone the VQ releases while cruising

If I were looking to get a vert, I would have definitely gotten an S.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Paul55100

If you're into tracking seriously at all, you will need to get a roll cage anyway, regardless of whether your car is a coupe or a vert. There are several great roll bars available for the S2000, which allows it to be in any level of competition as the Z or any other car.

Sounds like you've got a nice Z (~3000 lbs -- that's what the Z should've weighed from the factory ) but stock for stock, the S2000 is more of a sports car than the Z, sorry to say.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:53 AM
hardrock905

S2000 - too little torque, basically "no" torque at low end.
350Z - Nice torque, power throughout the powerband.

I just don't like little high-revving engines with no low-end grunt.

Handling wise, I am sure the S2000 has the advantage.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Paul55100

Originally Posted by hardrock905
S2000 - too little torque, basically "no" torque at low end.
350Z - Nice torque, power throughout the powerband.

I just don't like little high-revving engines with no low-end grunt.

Handling wise, I am sure the S2000 has the advantage.
How can you judge a car, having no seat time in it? You should experience it for yourself, instead of regurgitating what others are saying.

Anyway, torque or none, the S2000 hangs very well with the Z in a straight line.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:04 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by Paul55100
How can you judge a car, having no seat time in it? You should experience it for yourself, instead of regurgitating what others are saying.

Anyway, torque or none, the S2000 hangs very well with the Z in a straight line.
Excuse me? Am I wrong? Is the S2000 not weak in the torque category with little or no low end grunt? Do you not have to rev the **** out of it to keep it in the powerband?
I am not regurgitating what others are saying. I am speaking on what I know from research that I have done. I was considering an S2000 some time back. I test drove one in 2002 I believe? I didn't like the lack of torque, period.
How do you have the slightest clue what I have driven and what I haven't driven? People are so quick to jump to conclusions.
And I like your term "hangs with the Z in a straight line". I agree.....as in hanging behind.
As I said before, the S2000 bests the Z in overall handling but that's it IMO.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Paul55100

Originally Posted by hardrock905
Excuse me? Am I wrong? Is the S2000 not weak in the torque category with little or no low end grunt? Do you not have to rev the **** out of it to keep it in the powerband?
I am not regurgitating what others are saying. I am speaking on what I know from research that I have done. I was considering an S2000 some time back. I test drove one in 2002 I believe? I didn't like the lack of torque, period.
How do you have the slightest clue what I have driven and what I haven't driven? People are so quick to jump to conclusions.
And I like your term "hangs with the Z in a straight line". I agree.....as in hanging behind.
As I said before, the S2000 bests the Z in overall handling but that's it IMO.
I was assuming from your vague comment about how "you're sure the S2000 handled better" that you had not driven an S2000 before. Which was pretty much right on, it seems like.

So what was your research based on? Were they not results from OTHER PEOPLE's experience with the S? I'm not here to attack you, but to open up your mind a bit. Why not actually get some seat time in before commenting on a car? I don't care if you've written a book on S2000's. I'd rather get advice and opinions from a person that's actually driven one.

Yes, the S2000 lacks in torque, but what do you expect from a 4-banger? However, I did not mind this when I was driving around town. Many S2000 owners will tell you the same. I did not need to launch or take off from stop lights, so low end grunt was not a big deal. At the track, a good rpm take off was good enough. Then, it was actually fun keeping her at a high RPM range. If you wanted a quicker pick-up, 4.56/4.77 gears would remedy that. One guy posted results of 5.5 seconds to 60mph without a launch and only with upgraded gears (4.44, I believe).

Your last comment about how the S2000 bests the Z only in handling is very vague, as well. In what sense were you referring to? Daily driver? Track? There are many pro's that would turn out to be con's in different driving situations.

Lastly, "And I like your term "hangs with the Z in a straight line". I agree.....as in hanging behind." The S2000 beats it in the 1/4 mile. I have not seen a time slip for a stock Z that was in the 13.6X range. Several people on S2ki have already done this. However, the Z will take the S from a higher speed roll.

Quick Reply: 350z or s2000?