Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Advice needed - Dealer scratched my rims....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006 | 08:06 AM
danlee1

Angry Advice needed - Dealer scratched my rims....

I have 06GT (Rays Forged) on my Z. I brought the car in a few weeks ago to get a nail removed and the tire patched. During the process, the dealership managed to scratch up my rim pretty nicely so they offered to repaint/refinish the wheel. I really didn't want to have it refinished but the scratches were quite noticeable.

So I go pick up my car after the "refinish" and as I expected, the wheel didn't match the others. Not only was the color off, the metallic finish was different and it looked like someone had taken a spray can and missed some corners. It was an absolutely shoddy job. I'm pretty irritated at this point so they manager says he'll have the wheel sent out again to get it done right, along with a 2nd wheel to color match. I'm thinking if the guy screwed it up this bad the first time, what are the chances he'll get it right the 2nd time...probably not too good.

Well, after a couple of days I go back to pick up the car after being re-assured everything looked good. I show up and now I have 2 painted wheels...which don't match the other 2 wheels. Also, the same shoddy spray paint style job was done, so there are rough and dark spots where the spokes meet up with the rim.

At this point my patience was wearing thin. The manager then said he'd replace the rims and that I should expect delivery in a week or so. Well, I call up yesterday to check on the status. Manager didn't call me back until today...backing out of their original commitment to replace the 2 wheels.

They offered to repaint the wheels and offer me $500. I'm not looking to get anything out of this, other than having my car returned to the original state...ie non-scratched up rims, that match.

I didn't accept the offer but called NNA up to see what they can do. Any advice from folks out there?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 11-15-2006 | 08:39 AM
Deftones

Tell him you'll see him in small claims court. He's trying to go the cheapest route possible and when he saw what 2 new rims would cost him he probably sharted. Keep in mind he's a car dealer... some of the shadiest peeps that walk the earth. Start talking crazy about legal action and he'll most likely get shook and make it all better. For what you paid for the GT, this behavoir is a slap in the face.

If it were me... I'd go back in there blazin'
Old 11-15-2006 | 09:30 AM
Reality350

^+1

I would not take anything less then two new rims.
Threats of litigation usually work.

when he offered to replace your rims, did he put that in writing?

R350z
Old 11-15-2006 | 09:58 AM
350zroadster

omg, sorry, that was funny

sorry about your rims though. Maybe ask for $1000 and look into upgrade rims?
Old 11-15-2006 | 10:12 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by 350zroadster
omg, sorry, that was funny

sorry about your rims though. Maybe ask for $1000 and look into upgrade rims?

that one.. maybe it hink its more duable + 10 free oil changes
Old 11-15-2006 | 12:28 PM
danlee1

I really don't care if the situation is resolved as long as I end up with 4 matching rims with the same finish. What do you guys/girls think NNA will do in this situation? If not NNA, BBB....
Old 11-15-2006 | 03:07 PM
HighwaySpeed

Lightbulb

The dealership should replace the wheel or wheels that they damaged, with new ones.

If you damaged a wheel on one of their cars, they would have you pay them msrp for the price of a new wheel.
Old 11-15-2006 | 03:14 PM
bwassul

a friend of mine on here had the same thing happen and managed to coerce the dealer into giving him a heck of a deal on the nismo wheels.
Old 11-15-2006 | 04:19 PM
danlee1

I'm not planning on upgrading the rims anytime soon as these are the new Rays. They're already sized wider than most aftermarket rims and are forged as well. I'm pretty disgusted with the whole situation and the whole dealer experience.

Its not like I'm asking for any free-bees but rather just trying to get my car the it was before back to the was before they ruined it. Any lawyers on this forum that can lend some advice?
Old 11-16-2006 | 02:44 PM
danlee1

I've come to realize that Nissan North America Consumer Affairs is pretty much useless in case. I called them up, hopeful they they could assist me in this situation but instead, got a call from the regional rep saying there is nothing they can do except a courtsey for a courtsey call as they don't own the dealership. The ownership of the dealership I understand, but to be franchised, there has to be some terms and conditions the dealership must meet. They must have some type of leverage in cases such as this.

For example, the latest JD power survey has Nissan ranked 4th from the bottom for sales. See http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/16/j...-in-j-d-power/

I would imagine Nissan would have some leverage in raising the sales satisfaction. I realize this is not a sale, but the same leverage should be applicable in this case as well.

I proceeded to file a complaint with the BBB. Anyone w/experience going this route?
Old 11-16-2006 | 06:44 PM
derek173

I hope they replace the rims but if you end up getting the money try www.fixrim.com and have all of them done at the same time. I had my bentBBS wheels fixed and resprayed and it came out great. They can match OEM infiniti/nissan dark titanium finish. They do all the work for the dealers in the area and have a good reputation. It cost $120 but I had a coupon from motor trend magazine for $20 off, so I paid $100 which was cheaper then $350-400 for a new rim.
Old 11-16-2006 | 06:58 PM
janeiskrazy

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
that one.. maybe it hink its more duable + 10 free oil changes
10 free oil changes is nothing.
i have free oil changes for life at my dealership cuz i bought it new there..
demand more get yo moneys worth mah maannnn
Old 11-16-2006 | 08:38 PM
kaybee650

call nissan headquarters and they'll help
Old 11-16-2006 | 09:21 PM
350zroadster

head to the small claims court, you don't even need a lawyer.
Old 11-16-2006 | 09:37 PM
Evans Z33

thats what dealer is !!!!! all they care is about money. However it is also their weakness!! sue them! they will pay you as along as you send a indictment letter, because go to court will spend their more money!!!
Old 11-17-2006 | 07:38 PM
BluBul

yeah dude,which dealer is it?
Old 11-17-2006 | 08:59 PM
hiz-n-herz

Sorry to hear that. I _just_ posted a thread identical to this, but mine happened at America's tire co. Screw in my tire. They also offered to repair the wheel, but I don't trust that the wheel repair place won't f-up the rim. I declined the repair, but FRIG!

I have an 06GT also. I KNEW they would scratch them and they did. I am going to try a place recommended by another local guy. Bu the said they are slow and charge more. I don't care what they cost and how slow they are and how far I have to drive (well, drive within reason). I'll pay and wait to no have my rim f'ed up.

Gotta love the new OEM Rays....
Old 11-18-2006 | 05:58 AM
cd001111

He has insurance, he doesn't want to make a claim. Sue him in Small claims, every time your case comes up be there and ask for a postponement. After going or better yet sending his lawyer to court 3 or 4 times he'll get the idea. If he doesn't show, you win.

cd001111 ESQ
Old 11-18-2006 | 07:27 AM
roxtarinc
Banned

Originally Posted by janeiskrazy
10 free oil changes is nothing.
i have free oil changes for life at my dealership cuz i bought it new there..
demand more get yo moneys worth mah maannnn
the guy at the nissan dealership by me said that they were the ONLY ones in the USA to be doing free oil changes...
Old 11-18-2006 | 07:40 AM
betamotorsports

Your issue is with the dealer, not NNA. Both are separate business entities and NNA is not responsible for the tire changer at the dealership. Try and negotiate the best deal you can (politely, be professional, it goes a long way over throwing a temper tantrum) and if you are not happy with it, go to small claims court.

Quick Reply: Advice needed - Dealer scratched my rims....