Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Lemon has been sqeeeeezed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Bmacs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon has been sqeeeeezed

Folks I know a lot of us have been following the Oil consumption issues with the 06's.

Yes this is a REAL problem not just 1 or 2 guys beating the crap out of their Z's. I took it real easy until the end then the service manager told me to have fun.

long story short, Nissan just settled with me through Arizona Lemon Law protection. Once we started the process it was simple. Turn in your documentation and they settled within 14 days. Read your states lemon law or RTFM (Read The F$%king Manual). We all received the lemon law manual with our purchases.

My settlement was VERY good. I ended up losing about $1500 over 10 months and 20k miles. not bad ..

Those who love their 06 and are not worried about it then i suggest you keep a case of oil in your vehicle at all times. That is if you drive it. From what i can see on this forum most Z drives never drive their Z. 6k miles a year is a joke. When you put out the $35k - $40k for a roadster you drive it and you don't want to add oil every other tank of gas.

I know stop flaming........

I loved the Z and may look at the 08 when the new HR engine is proven itself. Until then all be safe and keep this forum alive. If it was not for my350z.com i would not have been able to get my issues resolved so quickly.

again thanks to all

bmac out...........
Old 12-07-2006, 06:46 AM
JDM RICE

this might work out for me afterall

I just bought an 06 G35C 6mt, and if it has that problem, I'll be damned if I dont take advantage of the situation

Last edited by JDM RICE; 12-07-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:02 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Bmacs
Folks I know a lot of us have been following the Oil consumption issues with the 06's.

Yes this is a REAL problem not just 1 or 2 guys beating the crap out of their Z's. I took it real easy until the end then the service manager told me to have fun.

long story short, Nissan just settled with me through Arizona Lemon Law protection. Once we started the process it was simple. Turn in your documentation and they settled within 14 days. Read your states lemon law or RTFM (Read The F$%king Manual). We all received the lemon law manual with our purchases.

My settlement was VERY good. I ended up losing about $1500 over 10 months and 20k miles. not bad ..

Those who love their 06 and are not worried about it then i suggest you keep a case of oil in your vehicle at all times. That is if you drive it. From what i can see on this forum most Z drives never drive their Z. 6k miles a year is a joke. When you put out the $35k - $40k for a roadster you drive it and you don't want to add oil every other tank of gas.

I loved the Z and may look at the 08 when the new HR engine is proven itself. Until then all be safe and keep this forum alive. If it was not for my350z.com i would not have been able to get my issues resolved so quickly.

again thanks to all

bmac out...........

+1 on my350z.com. This is what tipped me off to the problem too. I'm glad it all worked out for you although I hate the fact that you lost money on a car that was defective. I think that is where most lemon laws fall short. I will probably end up going through the same thing, which is sad. Florida law allows for the choice of buying the car back or getting a new one at up to 110% of the price of the original. That may work out better for me. Not sure, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Off hand, were you ever able to nail Nissan down to what they consider acceptable oil consumption for the Z? Thanks for your info.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 AM
CRAZZD

Originally Posted by Bmacs

again thanks to all

bmac out...........
I will never understand why the 2006 Z car burns oil but my 2003 never does. In 37K I have never added any oil. I check it and it is always at the full line and I change it every 3k miles. What happened on the 2006?
Same engine I thought. Do you have the 300hp version?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by CRAZZD
I will never understand why the 2006 Z car burns oil but my 2003 never does. In 37K I have never added any oil. I check it and it is always at the full line and I change it every 3k miles. What happened on the 2006?
Same engine I thought. Do you have the 300hp version?
I'm going to get killed for this , but it is my opinion that the rev-up engine is seriously defectiv. I would go even further and say that this is on the scale of the tire feathering issues the 03s had. Maybe they just pushed it beyond the limits. That would explain the total redo for the 07.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Bmacs

Default 07 HR redesign

I agree and so does the service manager i deal with. Why would Nissan put so much money into a engine for 6hp if they did not have to.

They know there is a issue and that is why the new engine and the quick settlement.

I will wait until 08 to see if the 07 engine fixes the oil burn off issues.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weird, i drive 60miles round trip to work everyday. I only have about 7000 miles on it so far(had the car for 4 mo. or so) but no problems with oil consumption. ive checked it on occasion( just a few days ago actually although with that damn dip stick, its really hard to read) but doesnt seem to have any issues.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiousity, how much oil did your car use (miles/quart)?

bill
Old 12-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by dbasal
I'm going to get killed for this , but it is my opinion that the rev-up engine is seriously defectiv. I would go even further and say that this is on the scale of the tire feathering issues the 03s had. Maybe they just pushed it beyond the limits. That would explain the total redo for the 07.
I would disagree with your statement. The ''05 35th has the VQDE and I have not heard anything about excessive oil consumption with those vehicles....

Someone please chime in here if I am incorrect.

(Just my two bits)

R350z
Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 AM
macao_friend

So how does the lemon law work (generally) if you purchased your car used from a non Nissan dealer?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

neither does mine...i looked at mine right before i got my last oil change and mine was still full. i guess there are good apples and bad apples...more like lemons =]
Old 12-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

break in is important. if you babied it during the break in, you're just asking for trouble. google mototune break-in. Read the article and use it religiously on ALL of your motors.....cars, trucks, bikes, lawnmowers.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Originally Posted by Old School
break in is important. if you babied it during the break in, you're just asking for trouble. google mototune break-in. Read the article and use it religiously on ALL of your motors.....cars, trucks, bikes, lawnmowers.
interesting article. makes me feel better about hittin 110 on the way home from the dealership. [edit: damn i just actually read through the 'how to break in' part.... he says there's no reason to go over 65mph. hah, now i feel bad again :-\]

question about the oil consumption issue for those who are dealing with it-- is the problem mainly with manual or auto, or both? i've read many of the threads on this topic but don't remember if this has been discussed.

Last edited by onedirtyz; 12-07-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
usafmech

I couldn't agree with you more. I subscribe to the theory that, with today's metals and manufacturing tolerances, you're broken in after 50 or so miles. I beat the hell out of my car and bike when I got 'em, drained and replaced stock oil with full syn (Mobile 1 for the Z, Honda Syn for the CBR), and haven't had ANY oil consumption problems with either since. Just my experience, but there are many out there that don't treat their rides with kid gloves @ 0 miles and have great results.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

well if thats the case then why do the majority of "us" baby our cars during the break-in period? whats the purpose of "breaking it in"? when i first got my car i never once took it past 3500 rpm and this is my first MT car and to this day i haven't had any problems with my car...besides the dreaded rear-axle click...but other then that i don't have any oil consumption issues or tire feathering problems or any of that other stuff. i believe your car should run and work fine as long as you take care of it, not saying baby the dang thing, but when you get it new you should take a little extra care of it instead of raggin it out and using it for its "purpose". kudos to you guys that like driving fast and taking your rpm to redline, but im not a fan of abuse to the z and im not scared to admit i baby the crap out of my car...i only bring her out on weekends or if my parents are using my civic in the week, i keep her in the garage with a car cover, i use a sun shield when i park, and even when i go places i park as far away from people as i can...being cautious of dents/dings/jealous teens/etc. some might say thats a little extreme and maybe it is, but hey thats just how some of us like our cars, in perfect condition and never abused. sorry for such a long writeup but just had to give my opinion.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:47 PM
dbasal

So if we followed Nissan's instructions, we are pretty much sc&wed? If some have it and some don't, that may be the trick. Break the new motor in differently, but that still doesn't expain why the prob seems to only be with rev-ups. Thanks for the info, btw.

Last edited by dbasal; 12-07-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by macao_friend
So how does the lemon law work (generally) if you purchased your car used from a non Nissan dealer?
"Generally", it doesn't apply to used cars.

bill
Old 12-07-2006, 02:44 PM
DaveZ06

i heard only the 06 Z's that were made within a certain month had oil problems do to some bad gaskets or something. After they found out, they fixed it with the later built Z's..... iono maybe i heard wrong
Old 12-07-2006, 03:10 PM
macao_friend

Originally Posted by bailey bill
"Generally", it doesn't apply to used cars.

bill
Crap. Then I will just have to rely on the first class Nissan warranty then.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:55 PM
creationv2

wait doesnt nissan replace the motor as a fix if there is a consumption problem? or did you just opt out for the lemon law....or did you get another motor and still had problems?....your other threads didnt really help in explaining how bad your problem really was....or i jsut wasnt paying close attention....??????

Quick Reply: Lemon has been sqeeeeezed