Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

**Warranty on stress cracked headlights?**

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
boosted500hp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Warranty on stress cracked headlights?**

I assume my headlights are stress cracked from the HID's heat, but has anyone had this problem? I bought the extended warranty through nissan, and they are saying they are not warrantied? anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:00 PM
CaliTouring

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boosted500hp
I assume my headlights are stress cracked from the HID's heat, but has anyone had this problem? I bought the extended warranty through nissan, and they are saying they are not warrantied? anyone have any ideas?
Tell them F*CK YOU! what you need to do is do to the sercive manager and start acting up. Just start up a big storm! then they'll do and say everything to calm you down.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:33 PM
thefastestz

ahh...that could be the headlight hazing TSB..

I had mine get like that after the 36k mile warranty was up. I had the extended warranty, and the service rep was able to get them replaced under the good will policy. I had 48k at the time.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 PM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's quite a family you have there.

Get them replaced. Don't take any BS.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
superman0604

Originally Posted by CaliTouring
Tell them F*CK YOU! what you need to do is do to the sercive manager and start acting up. Just start up a big storm! then they'll do and say everything to calm you down.

Just don't cuss. Service managers don't react well to cussing.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM
davidf

Niether will the police.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:15 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by geomark
That's quite a family you have there.

Get them replaced. Don't take any BS.
Damn dude.. that's pretty harsh.. you want him to replace his whole family?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by bofa
Damn dude.. that's pretty harsh.. you want him to replace his whole family?
LMAO!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
HighwaySpeed

Question

What year is your 350Z?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Fletch69z

Almost all warranties or service contracts (whether stated benefits or exclusionary contracts) won't cover wearable parts (AKA headlights, headlight housings, squeaks, brake pads, etc.). That's a tough one. If you can prove that there is something amiss that has caused them to crack you would have a case but other wise see which is cheaper; filing an insurance claim or paying for the repair/replacement out of pocket.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
bleufiend

Originally Posted by CaliTouring
I work at classic nissan in orlando. Post pictures of your headlights. Also if your extended warranty is only on powertrain then your pretty much down and out for the count.

On another note, the few customers that we have come in and ***** at my service manager usually find themselves shown to the door and told never to return and that we dont need there buisness. If its a legit concern most will try to help but if your going in there to try and raise **** when you really dont need to there just going to turn it around and dump it right back on you, I know my manager will.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 AM
CaliTouring

Originally Posted by bleufiend
I work at classic nissan in orlando. Post pictures of your headlights. Also if your extended warranty is only on powertrain then your pretty much down and out for the count.

On another note, the few customers that we have come in and ***** at my service manager usually find themselves shown to the door and told never to return and that we dont need there buisness. If its a legit concern most will try to help but if your going in there to try and raise **** when you really dont need to there just going to turn it around and dump it right back on you, I know my manager will.
I didnt mean it literaly... lol that just meant be firm and persistant.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:06 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,275 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Headlight housings are not wearable parts. They should be covered as long as your HID's are factory. If you put aftermarket HID's in and the heat caused the cracking, they will not be covered.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:19 AM
dmroberson

HID's produce significantly less heat than halogen bulbs do, so I seriously doubt that that is what caused the cracks to appear. I'd say something else is causing your problem.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:23 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by dmroberson
HID's produce significantly less heat than halogen bulbs do, so I seriously doubt that that is what caused the cracks to appear. I'd say something else is causing your problem.

I think you are incorrect...

...But my headlights are also hazing...i'm out of the warranty period. Is there any hope for me? Mine have little cracks like i hit rocks or something, it's weird and get on my nerves but i don't want to spend money on that.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Headlamp assembly warranty is 3/36,000 and covered under only Gold and Gold Preferred extended service contracts...

Weither or not they are covered is up to the dealer you bring it to... If the "Cracks" are caused from an out side source (like spray with aresol can etc) then it will not be covered by warranty...
Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by kwiker
I think you are incorrect...

...But my headlights are also hazing...i'm out of the warranty period. Is there any hope for me? Mine have little cracks like i hit rocks or something, it's weird and get on my nerves but i don't want to spend money on that.
I'm not trying to argue with you, but it's true, HID's do produce less heat than Halogen bulbs, in part because of the less electrical demand they have, here is supporting information. If the lens was insulated, by a vinyl headlight film or something similar, then it's possible that the little bit of heat produced will be trapped, which may affect the lights, but I've only seen this with halogen bulbs in place. I've used headlight protection film with HID's before, and have no problems.

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...on=Custom&ID=5

Last edited by dmroberson; 12-13-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Didn't take it as an argument, i didn't know...i just thought that i read somewhere that installing hids in a halogen housing would cause it to melt possibly...hence i thought hid were hotter.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:44 AM
dmroberson

cool, I just didn't want you to think I was trying to start an argument, by answering your comment... lol. All good though. Was just trying to be helpful.

To be honest, I used to think it was hotter too, because when I first heard of HID, I read about how much brighter it was, and that the ballasts generated 20,000 volts to properly ignite the bulbs.

Last edited by dmroberson; 12-13-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:39 PM
boosted500hp

I do have the gold extended warranty up to 75,000 miles... the cracks are tiny stress cracks starting on the edge of the headlight going in... i know they dont want to warranty them do to the fact that they are $800 a piece! stress cracks are not from an outside source either, both headlights have em... MY nissan is a 2003 touring, with only 24,000 miles... The headlights are noticeable a defect.

Quick Reply: **Warranty on stress cracked headlights?**