2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Best Time to Buy '06Z? Dec vs. Jan

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 05:07 PM
G Spot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Time to Buy '06Z? Dec vs. Jan

When's the best time to buy an '06 Z?
I've heard people saying great deals are at end of the year, 12-31-06.
But, I'm also hearing beginning of New Year, such as 1-2-07 or 1-31-07, and buy the car as last year's model.

I sold my car, so I'm without a car for now, but I can manage, but want a new car if I get a bargain of a discount.

I'm down to 2 cars for my next selection: Z or the new BMW 335 coupe.
I like the '07 Z upgrades, but I can live with a bargain '06 and trade it in for a newer Z in either '08 or '09. Since Carmax has new '06 Z for about $1k below invoice, I'm guessing that '07 Z will be similarly priced at Carmax.

I'm really liking the new 335 coupe, but I haven't seen any below MSRP. So, I figured I can order one if I really want one for about $45k with the stuff that I want. But, I'm liking the sound of a bargain '06 Z for about couple of $$ below invoice if I can get it. I may even go for a roadster if that's a better bargain.

So, any ideas, thoughts, or personal experience for the best time to buy a new car???

Thanks in advance, (and oh to the Mod, I wasn't sure to put this in "350Z forum" or "Other Cars forum", so hope it's okay here or please move as needed)

G
Old 12-19-2006, 05:17 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How long have you been shopping for a 350Z?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:20 PM
HighwaySpeed

When the '07 model are on dealer lots.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:20 PM
bofa

The longer you wait the less likely you will get the exact car you want. Really, there's not much of a difference in Nov, Dec, or Jan.. it all depends on how well you can negotiate.

What more important? Getting your options or price?

BTW the new 335 coupe is hot right now so don't expect great deals on those any time soon.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:23 PM
DaveZ06

right now is already kinda too late to buy a Z... and if you wait till 2007 then theres a very high chance that you won't get exactly what you want.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:09 PM
G Spot

Originally Posted by davidv

How long have you been shopping for a 350Z?
For about 2 weeks, seriously shopping, checking local dealer inventories, etc. I owned a G35c, and that was the main reason why I joined back in the day.

I wasn't sure about the best time to buy. Some say in the Spring, some say in the Summer rush, some say Fall due to new model year release, and at this time of the year, either end of the year or the new year. It's so confusing.

In regards to options, the only options I care about are 6-spd manual and at least Enthusiast model or above. Other than that, I don't mind the color, options, coupe/vert, as long as I get a good deal.

Thanks for all the replies so far, and Happy Holidays!

G
Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by G Spot
For about 2 weeks, seriously shopping, checking local dealer inventories, etc. I owned a G35c, and that was the main reason why I joined back in the day.

I wasn't sure about the best time to buy. Some say in the Spring, some say in the Summer rush, some say Fall due to new model year release, and at this time of the year, either end of the year or the new year. It's so confusing.

In regards to options, the only options I care about are 6-spd manual and at least Enthusiast model or above. Other than that, I don't mind the color, options, coupe/vert, as long as I get a good deal.

Thanks for all the replies so far, and Happy Holidays!

G
Now is a good time to buy. Demand is down. I bought my 350Z the day after Christmas.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:49 AM
mikead_99

Auto sales tend to slow down big time right after the holidays as people like to take time to allow their finances to settle. This generally makes it a great time to negotiate, I bought mine in January this year. Having said that, if you can get one from Carmax for $1K under invoice, get on it now, but I'm guessing you really mean $1k under msrp?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:53 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Nissan's End of Year is Feb.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 AM
350zQ45a

If you are serious, now is a good time. The end of the year sales event is going on, and the 07 Z is right around the corner. It has been said they produced too many 06's and are trying to get rid of them before the 07 arrives.

Last time I checked Edmunds, the price people were paying for the 06 was very close to invoice.

Should be plenty of room to negotiate.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 AM
SilverII

right when the 07 are about to arrive and the dealers are making room.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:07 AM
dbasal

Maybe I had a unique experience, but I first asked the dealer about the Z early in 06 model year. He said I could order one for 1000 below invoice. I waited and then went back and he quoted me 500 below invoice.

I thought it was interesting that he went lower when the car first came out than he did later in the year. This is most likelt because I was ordering and they had a few on the lot and they did not early in the model year. Not sure. You may want to look into ordering an 07, you may be surprised at the deal you can find.

I know around here, inventories are low on the Z. Maybe 1 or 2 per dealer. Not sure where they all are sitting as Nissan claims. Look into getting it transferred if they can find you the right one, but by doing this the dealer may not be able to give you the best deal. I would seriously look into what can be done for you on an 07.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Deftones

When's the best time to buy an '06 Z?
I've heard people saying great deals are at end of the year, 12-31-06.
But, I'm also hearing beginning of New Year, such as 1-2-07 or 1-31-07, and buy the car as last year's model.

I sold my car, so I'm without a car for now, but I can manage, but want a new car if I get a bargain of a discount.

I'm down to 2 cars for my next selection: Z or the new BMW 335 coupe.
I like the '07 Z upgrades, but I can live with a bargain '06 and trade it in for a newer Z in either '08 or '09. Since Carmax has new '06 Z for about $1k below invoice, I'm guessing that '07 Z will be similarly priced at Carmax.

I'm really liking the new 335 coupe, but I haven't seen any below MSRP. So, I figured I can order one if I really want one for about $45k with the stuff that I want. But, I'm liking the sound of a bargain '06 Z for about couple of $$ below invoice if I can get it. I may even go for a roadster if that's a better bargain.

So, any ideas, thoughts, or personal experience for the best time to buy a new car???

Thanks in advance, (and oh to the Mod, I wasn't sure to put this in "350Z forum" or "Other Cars forum", so hope it's okay here or please move as needed)

G
I agree with mostly everything everyone has said about now being a good time to buy. December is a slow month for dealerships since so many people are stretched thin on money. 07's are coming, year end sales event was designed to clean up stock. But if you are waiting for the 07 to arrive, don't expect to get a deal at or under invoice. Go look, show interest, but always be willing to walk away and shop around. The only drawback I can see with buying a car at this time of year is paying each year for registration in a month where money could be tight.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 AM
G Spot

Originally Posted by mikead_99
Auto sales tend to slow down big time right after the holidays as people like to take time to allow their finances to settle. This generally makes it a great time to negotiate, I bought mine in January this year. Having said that, if you can get one from Carmax for $1K under invoice, get on it now, but I'm guessing you really mean $1k under msrp?
Actually, Carmax has always had it for about $1k under invoice or about $4500 below MSRP for the '06 for the whole year, and that's why I was wondering same for '07 from them.

As always, great advice from everyone. Thanks again.
I'll go check it out and see what I can get on '06.
Oh, and BTW, I found a semi-local dealer with 7 '06Z on his lot, so I'll go talk to him. He already offered $2k below invoice on 1, but it's an auto.

Happy last minute X-mas shopping!

G
Old 12-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Fletch69z

It won't matter much whether you do it now or January. Just go get it.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 AM
backstabber

No, she really meant 1k below published invoice prices. I know because I was monitoring CarMax's Z inventory, too. Was thinking about getting the red touring coupe.

Originally Posted by mikead_99
Old 12-25-2006, 05:37 PM
arejohn

Carmax, new cars, under invoice. There is something I don't know about carmax.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:59 PM
350z2k3

Originally Posted by arejohn
Carmax, new cars, under invoice. There is something I don't know about carmax.

Likewise, Carmax is usually high. When I bought my Maxima I found the exact car/options elsewhere for several thousand less.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:48 PM
hiz-n-herz

When's the best time to buy an '06 Z? G
When I am ready to sell my 06 for an 07. Seriously

It'll be a steal for someone...

I have already paid the depreciation for you. I bought it in May, and the engine is just bearly broken in with less than 5k miles. Babied and perfect. Already waxed like 3 times...

2006 DB GT...

Old 12-26-2006, 03:57 PM
whoopazz1

Just my 2 c on this, but I wouldn't buy a beamer not a 3 series that is... if anything I'd go with the 5 series. Anyone can have a 3, but only the selected few have the 5's. So to that point, I bet you'd get more looks out of the Z rather than the 335. Don't get me wrong, I think its a nice car... But when people see it, they are thinking oh there is another BMW...

As opposed to the 350 Z, where it's just pure "sex on wheels"... so I'v been told by the girls...

Quick Reply: Best Time to Buy '06Z? Dec vs. Jan