Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Will Be Buying New 2007 Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:54 AM
hiz-n-herz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holyRECKLESS
The Z has intrigued me for years becuase of its stock powerband and RWD platform. I will most likely hook the Z up with the APS twin turbo, but i was wondering if i can get away with just buying the base, or if i should turn in more cash for the higher trim levels. I know the major differences between trim levels on the car, but are they worth the money?

Also, will it be worth it to dish out the extra cash for an 07 or should I just buy an 06 on clearance?

Thank you in advance for your help.
If you are serious about going the FI route, buy used, not new. Otherwise, you are paying depreciation and voiding any factory warranty. Nissan engines are reliable until you go 7lbs+ PSI FI so be prepared to spend $6k on a fully built engine; on top of the $10k it'll cast for the turbo and install.

VDC versus TCS... I Despise the VDC on my 06 GT, but love the leather seats (had to have one with the other. My wife has the enthusiast with TCS. On hers, I can get the rear end to step out a little bit without TCS kicking in. I can have fun in her car.

Mine, with VDC = NO FUN. It is WAY too sensitive. ANY amount of wheel spin or ANY slight rear-end sliding results in all power being cut. If I have to pull out onto a street with a lot of traffic, I have to reach down and turn off the VDC. It seems like even 1/4 rotation of wheel spin on one side will activate VDC. I can handle a little bit of wheel spin, but when VDC kicks in, I am stuck in a situation where I meant to pull out fast and then cannot. Very dangerous in some situations. I wish the sensitivity was tuneable.

I am hoping that it will feel better when I wear out the stock RE050a's and put on the PS2's, but we'll see... Maybe if I go with a slightly wider and taller rear tire, the VDC won't kick in as easily

I agree that VDC was made for people who don't know how to drive.

My vote for you is a used enthusiast.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 AM
EricTX

I have a 06 base and I drove it when that huge storm came through Dallas a few weeks ago. It was raining extremely hard and the temp dropped to 20 degrees. I had no problems ... just drive really slow and careful.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 AM
holyRECKLESS

would i save money by going base with nismo LSD, or would it make more sense to just get the enthusiast?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:09 AM
sithZ

Planning to road race? Getting a base is not so bad anymore. Back in '03, it was a model that didnt have a lot of features. Now it has lots of crap standard. Great deal if you ask me.

That being said: I would try and get a model with VDC if you can. (used '05 or '06). A lot of people discredit VDC and say it burdens acceleration etc or there ability to "drive the car to it's full potential." . They use a technology in F1 racing that is very similar to VDC. Also, I never understood the people that turn off VDC/TCS, especially on the street. I highly doubt they are pro road racers and if they were, they wouldn't be trying to drive that way on the street.

Last edited by sithZ; 12-28-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I agree.

It all depends on what You (OP) wants.
Do you want to go FI right away?
-I didnt,(my plan is 4 years) but I went with something slightly used and saved a bundle(which I am eventually putting towards my rebuilt block or FI.. or maybe both!)

Do you want a luxury aspect to your Z?
-I did, which is why I would not get a base (unless you really want to customize your Z, I say get an enthusiast.) Just my two bits...

Now the final decision is yours, either way you will love the Z

Speed safely!

R350z
Old 12-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Nismo 350z

06 base is the bare essential Z. No need for TCS/VDC. Just like a lotus elise(my next car). But if wanna go FI, then get a 06. If u really need a LSD, you can buy one for the base that will be better than the standard VLSD. The base is the cheapest one and you can build a Z better than any of the other models Nissan offers. Besides the base is the lightest of em all.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:22 PM
holyRECKLESS

thanks everone for your input, i think i'm gonna go with an 06 base model and add the nismo LSD if needed.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:36 PM
JAB_06-350Z

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
My TC on my base is called letting foot up off of gas
and my VDC is called knowing how to steer
Absolute truth. Well put
Old 12-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi. Good questions! I believe I can provide some insight because, like you, I was driving turbo-equipped sedans with decent performance and handling characteristics before moving to the Z.

Here is what you will miss:
1) Your previously owned vehicles handle well, but still provide a comfortable ride; and they had reasonably to very good interior sound levels. The Z’s suspension is really tight (read that “rough”). Driving the Z, you feel every expansion joint and pavement-imperfection in the road. And, the interior noise in the Z is bad. The rear wheels wells and cargo area allow an annoying degree of noise to enter the vehicle. Driving over wet gravel is an experience in this car. Although the Z is heavy by sport car standards (a lot more than a Porsche, Mazda, etc.), not any of that extra weight went into any sound-deadening.
2) If your S4 was a MT, you will notice that the RPMs drop slowly in the Z while shifting. The same is true in the Infiniti G35 coupe. I believe this is a compromise Nissan/Infiniti does to meet emission standards.

Here is what you will love:
1) The Z’s engine has torque, lots of it. You step down on the accelerator, and this baby jumps, even in the higher gears. The performance sedans I owned before the Z were turbo-equipped, which I learned to hate. I hate the “turbo-lag” and the expense. You cannot repair a turbo, you replace it (lots of $$).
2) Handling is just great. The Z corners flat (the cross bars keep the car stiff and flat). After you drive the Z for a couple of weeks, everything else feels “mushy” and unresponsive. This thing is like a go-cart with tons of power.

As far as the models go, all I can tell you is based upon my personal experience. I would eliminate the base model from your choice. Yes, I did see the “hah-hah-smiles” in other posts on your thread saying the base model was OK, but this model lacks the better headlights and the TC or VDC options. For a little bit more $$, you get a lot more with the Enthusiast or Performance models. My first experience was the Enthusiast (which has the better headlights and TC). I upgraded to the Performance model (no longer available) to get the 18” wheels and TDC. The Performance model also included some spoilers which are mostly cosmetic. I know that people on the Forum will argue this point, but my Performance model has lighter steering and a lighter-clutch than my 03 Enthusiast. If I were you buying a new Z (and I would buy a new Z rather than a used one: ”Never know where that high-performance Z has been”), I would buy a 2006 Track model. You will get a great car for a reasonable price. And, the Track model is the best driving machine Nissan makes.

About VDC… I see some Forum members don’t seem to think this is valuable. In my experience, it is great and worth having. I can provide some personal experiences where VDC saved me. I won’t describe them here because my posting is becoming way too long.

Thanks for posting. --Spike
Old 12-28-2006, 04:09 PM
The Mr Guinness

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
My TC on my base is called letting foot up off of gas
and my VDC is called knowing how to steer

I've never had a problem driving in the rain and trust me NC/SC gets more than there fair share of rain!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:11 PM
JAB_06-350Z

Great post Spike, but my '06 base has (HID) bi-xenon headlights and 18 in wheels.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by The Mr Guinness

I've never had a problem driving in the rain and trust me NC/SC gets more than there fair share of rain!
Ok... driving in rain... but, ever drive in Minnesota on ice (Black Ice)? That is a totally different experience and the extreme. It is why the automobile companies' are supplying Vehicle Dynmaic Control features. Notice that your insurance policy provides a significant discount when you have a vehicle equipped with VDC. The insurance companies operate on statistics, and this is a significant one. You will see VDC as standard in 2008. --Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 12-28-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by JAB_06-350Z
Great post Spike, but my '06 base has (HID) bi-xenon headlights and 18 in wheels.
Thanks for nice words. But I am wondering, what did you pay for the upgrades? Was it less or more than buying an upgraded "stock" version from Nissan by purchasing a higher-end model Z? I'm guessing that you spent more $$ on the aftermarket upgrades, but then you got better equipment, which is probably your point, and that is a good point! --Spike
Old 12-28-2006, 04:58 PM
usafmech

Same here, bi-xenon's and 18's from the factory. They are now standard equipment on '06 Z's (base model and up).

I bought an '06 base Z because of the modding potential. I didn't care about VDC or TCS, even the LSD for that matter. After lurking here for awhile, among other Z places, looking at the goodies all the vendors offered, I made my decision. LSD? I can now pick from Nismo, Quiafe (SP?), Cusco, etc. Leather? I can order from leatherseats.com or that ebay place (synthetic leather, but hey). Brembo? Stoptech, Wilwood, AP, etc. Now, if I could have gotten a Track Z for what I'll spend on a BBK, LSD, and leather (forgot if a Track comes w/leather), I may have went that way. Bose? Meh, I've yet to hear a decent Bose system, but that's just my opinion. Track wheels? Very very nice, but I'd end up going with Advan or Volk anyway. But considering the deals you can get from the Marketplace here, plus the personal classifieds on all the parts mentioned, I think I'll save some $ in the end.
To ME, the base Z is a blank canvas. However, if you can get a great deal on an enth. or up, well there ya go.

I personally am modding from the wheels up first (wheels/tires/coilovers/sways). FI next fall, IF all goes well $-wise. Sucky thing is I'll have the loot to do this in Jan ('cept FI), but will be deployed. Short deployment though, and stateside, meh.

Good luck with whatever you do!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:04 PM
AdriaN-

I thought the 06 base came with bi-xenon headlights (HID) and the upgraded wheels... oh and im still undecided from getting a very very low mileage 06 BASE or a 18k miles Yellow enthusiasts... I cant freakin pick one either and i have 1 day left :'[
Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Spike100

Well... could be I am getting old... guilty of inaccurate posts. I was operating on the Z models I purchased and was driving. Apparently things are changing. For example, I had no idea that the base model now came with HD headlights.

I plan to upgrade my 2003 Performance model. This time I will buy the 2006 Track model. --Spike
Old 12-28-2006, 06:44 PM
kPaNdA350

Originally Posted by igetgreens
I usually drive with the VDC off except for when it rains really hard. as for the trim level, the reason i got the touring was the bose sound system (which doesn't impress me much), the leather seats, and butt warmer (this is a life saver for those cold winter mornings and nights)
Haha +1

Not much into systems, bose is fine for me and dam the butt warmer.
Haha, although it doesn't get to chilly in LA
Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I really think a performance car like the 350Z needs an LSD, however the stock one isn't really up for handling much more than stock horsepwer levels. If you're going FI then you may as well just get a base plus aftermarket LSD...though with that much power VCD and TCS could be pretty desirable. It all depends on what the weather is like where you live and how confident you are in your driving skills.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 PM
gabez33

Reckless,

There is def nothing wrong with gettin a base, I came from a touring Z, to a base and dont miss anything about the touring. Not worth the XX cash IMO- But If I was you, I would wait for the 07 Z. The new engine on the Z is gonna the ****, especially for turbo aps, dual TB and that good stuff, I wouldn't get the 06 knowing the 07 has a completely new and improved engine: just my twocents:
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by sithZ
A lot of people discredit VDC and say it burdens acceleration etc or there ability to "drive the car to it's full potential." . They use a technology in F1 racing that is very similar to VDC. Also, I never understood the people that turn off VDC/TCS, especially on the street. I highly doubt they are pro road racers and if they were, they wouldn't be trying to drive that way on the street.

I would think the F1 racing VDC-ish technology is highly tuneable. I agree with another poster who says VDC is great where it is icy. Being in the CA bay area, I forget about ice and snow . Of course VDC cannot defy the laws of physics. But any help you can get on icy roads is cool.

My problem with VDC is that it can only detect that a wheel is slipping and that the back end of the car is coming out just a bit and it kills your power for a preset amount of time (maybe 3 seconds). I am NOT talking about getting sideways. VDC is aware of ANY movement and acts instantly.

What VDC does not know.... Driver was pulling out of a parking lot onto a busy street. It's a sharp turn into the closest lane and the inside tire tends to slip in a sharp turn anyway but there was a manhole cover that the tire slipped on as well - very briefly. The driver knows that this condition will go away as soon as the wheel passes over the manhole cover - maybe in a fraction of a second and then the tire will regain traction.

Or it does not know that the wheel started slipping because of a bump in the road while going WOT and the driver knows the slip was only momentary. But VDC steps in with 3 seconds of limited power. Lame!

I have never heard of any auto-x racer of road racer that purposefully drives with TCS or VDC on. The Z's VDC does not seem to want to allow ANY amount of oversteer. Zero. Sure, it's safe, but not the fastest way around a track and sometimes gets in the way of street driving.

I think BMW has done a MUCH better job with their TCS/VDC (ASC+T/EBFD). I find it is not at all intrusive for the street and just as effective if something happens (which was only once, in an empty parking lot in the rain. I wanted to see if it worked) The only other time the BMW traction control ever activated was when I bought a set of cheap Kumho tires (712s) and would take off in a straight line with ripples in the pavement. Same section with the PS2's and I never saw ASC come on.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 12-28-2006 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Will Be Buying New 2007 Z