Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I would like to discuss a few things

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:45 AM
12AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of feel your pain. I put a lot (OK, nowhere close to what you spent!) into a FWD car that has no "street cred". I know, street cred is a ghey F&F kind of thing, but anyone who buys a Z or Lexus or something after driving a POS knows what I mean.

That's one part of it. I mean, it's cool smoking a sport bike with a moped, but at the end of the day you're still driving a moped.

RWD cars are so much more tuneable and fun to drive. You can drift them. The weight transfers to the rear tires when you need traction during acceleration. And people compliment your car.

The hard part will be getting rid of the Tib. You will never get out of it near what you put into it. So you're going to have to get out from under the car, and there is no easy, unpainful way to do it. You will not regret buying a Z. The only thing is, as people have pointed out, EVERYTHING costs more. A lot more. So you can live with the monster you created, or you can go broke and get what you really want. Nobody can make that decision for you. All I can say is it's never wise to throw good money after bad. Suck it up and follow your heart. A used Z isn't all that expensive. If you want to build the bottom end, it doesn't matter how much the previous owner abused it.
Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like you have the cash handy, so get the Z.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Speck

well i just priced all the parts i want, alot of them not at a discounted price, really, so i gotta see what i can see from the people i know, but to do it the way i want, looks like, 15-20k in driveline upgrades

eh not to bad considering.. something to think about
Old 12-29-2006, 10:28 AM
azula

Originally Posted by Speck
or you dont know what it cost to mod a tiburon

I know guys with 30k$+ under the hood of thier cars that are still running 12's
sooo yea...

and as i have said two or three times now, I have alredy researched what parts are going to be
just a little here, pistons and rods for the Z are less than pistons and rods for the tib, the only company selling a piston/rod kit, is chargeing 1900$ for just that, all the piston/rod sets ive seen sofar for the z are reasonably priced ported upper intake manifold for the tib, 650$, lower.. 300$, completely custom made intake manifold that one shop made is over 1k for the upper

the alcohol injection kit they sell, 650$, thier turbo kit, 4k$, for a turbo, pipes, a wastegate, and a bov, .. injectors, tuner, fuel pump, intercooler... you know... good things to have.. noooootttttt includddded, water-air intercooler for said turbo kit... 2500$

built bottom end, just the short block, 4k$, you want the topend too? mm well pooey thats another 4k$.. oh btw thats with just the basic stuff, you want it bored? you want valves bored over? you want flowed heads? oooo be ready to anti up, my quot on the built motor was what 10k$... for just the motor, none of that includes shipping, or instalation

do we have axels??!?! nooo! guess what you break them.. you put stock ones on, unless you can have some fabed up, wich well, thats custom there, so be prepaird to bend over!

so im coming from a car, that isnt cheap to modify, because there is one, essentially one company right now, doing aftermarket parts, and they charge.. ALOT..

theres almost no aftermarket support..

so I would like a nice car, that is reasonable to modify, with good aftermarket support..

oh and btw. almost evryone i know with a tib, who has traded on a 350z, has had thier insurance go down, or stay the same, because theres alot of retards who wreck tibs.. ALOT.. and its expensive to fix... is that becuase its a nice expensive car? noooo thats caue its a pos, and evrything is in korea, and they charge 50* what the car cost, for all the parts...

then theres the pesky thing with it holding no value what so ever

ok the kinda advice i was wanting is stuff like,..... am i going to need to upgrade the valve springs, and at what point will i need to do so on this car, id like to know things like this, so that i dont do it, then float a valve and be like.. ahhh welll duuuuaaaaahh i guesss i shooulldaa uppgwaaded daaat deeeen huuuuh lol

if i do it, ill use an e-manage ultimate, or a hal tech standalone

garrett turbo or turbos, turbonettics wastegate(s), greddy bov, walboro fuel pump, ill look into injectors, maybe delphi i dont know yet, spearco intercooler, ill upgrade the axels, ill upgrade the clutch, whatever else needs to be done... so much to do.. soo much to list....

hey who makes lsd's for this car? does quaife? does anyone have any experiance with them to know, which one tends to work out the best. thats the kinda stuff i wanna know

now granted most people will spend 10k probably more? way more? to turbo a z, buy a built motor, buy a ready to go turbo kit, take it to a nice shop, that is going to butt rape them on install , and then take it to a reliab le place to have it tuned, the only thing you can bet on me doing, is taking it somewhere with a good reputation on tuning, motor you say? ill build it myself, turbo kit you say??? dooo it myself, its really not that hard, honestly, its not, i promise, install you say!?... bingo.. dooo it myself

retail prices you say!?!?! not a chance on your life

msrp?! whats that!!

so can we stop talkin about the cost of the mods? i assure you, i have looked into the cost of mods for this car you call Z, and I say, fine and dandy, im not some broke dip **** who wants to mod a 20 year old dsm, and spend a grand total of 2k$

altho i wouldnt mind having a VR4 to tinker with,
im the kind of dip****, that would buy a supra, and ****in go nuts on it, just because, i enjoy modding cars, its one of 2 or 3 hobbys on mine, i have cars, reef tanks, and, ill think of something else im sure..

will i have a steady enough income? i duno i got hosed on a hyundai, was paying 500$ a month for it, plus almost 200$ month for insurance (hey i get a pretty good insurance rate) plus a slew of other bills, and was still able to frrely sink 15k into the car, keep up my wonderful habbit, of eating a steak dinner evry night at a good resturant, and keep up lovely borderline alcoholism, and enjoy a 5th of crown, and a 5th of jack, and a 5th of makers mark, weekly.. , what can i say.. i like whiskey am i rich? not a ****ing chance on your life!.. do i enjoy the finer things in life... ****ing A right i do!

did i have a serious lapse of judgement, drive right past nissan and to hyundai trying to save a lil money..... god dammit yes, yes i did... had the plans been to boost the car from the begning, i would have got the Z... but hey.... we ALL make mistakes from time to time, and do plenty of stupid ****.. sooo what can i say.... what are ya gonna do huh... well

what i can do, is take the hunk of **** back to stock, trade it on a used 350z, payments will probably be less, be insurance will likely be the same, maybe less, worst case scenario it might go up 50$ a month, so what, my insurance just droped to like 120 a mo.

so nope, in the end, my answer is, I do NOT care, how much it cost to mod the Z cause its not gonna be TOOO much worse than the tib, and pound for pound, dollar for dollar, ill get more power out of the Z than the tib.. better handling... wow jesus ive just convinced my self here...

how long did it take you to write all of this? good lord!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Speck

Originally Posted by azula
how long did it take you to write all of this? good lord!

hahahaha about 5-10 mins

evryone hated me in college in wirting classes
Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Originally Posted by Slopoke
you burned out a clutch in 10k miles? you may want to look at an auto.....
+1

A LITTLE AUTOMATIC NEVER HURT ANYONE, IT DOSENT WANT ANY TROUBLE!!
THE TIBURON IS A TERD BURGLAR WHY BUY ANYTHING FOR IT BESIDES GAS?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:08 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by Speck
hahahaha about 5-10 mins

evryone hated me in college in wirting classes
Did they laugh at you in spelling class?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:25 PM
350Z_LEE

Is your Tib paid off? I sure hope you don't owe a balance on it, because you are going to be very buried in it. If you trade it in(if they even take it, probably won't) you won't get jack for it, and will be starting off with a hefty payment just in the negative equity alone, that is, if they can even tack on that much. Good luck. If it is paid off, I would just keep it, or sell it on ebay.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Fingers

Haha this reminds me of the guys that get katanas and other little sport bikes that are made to look like the serious street bikes(gixxer, R1). Do whatever you can to get yourself in a Z if it will make you happy.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:22 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

It will take easily 15k to have twin dones right on a built motor.