Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I would like to discuss a few things

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Speck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would like to discuss a few things

Hi, i have been a member here for awhile, and was thinking about tradeing awhile back, but was upside down in the current car, and

lol

I currently drive a 2004 hyundai, yes i said hyundai, tiburon GT 6 speed

ive got around 10k under the hood, my clutch is shot so im only running 5psi right now, if i put a new clutch in and go to 9 psi, ill be around 300whp

now the thing is, ive come to the realization, that, well, my car is a peice of **** hyundai, and well what good is 300whp 400whp, 500whp, or even, 600whp..... if you cant ****ing hook up and get any traction....

so the thought in my mind is this, sell all the parts from my tib, i might come out with 7k if i get lucky a lil more.. hopefully
buy a used 350z, and use that 7k or so, to boost the z

or possibly a g35c, but i duno wich i like more...
I have alot of contacts now, i have a contact at garrett, and some friends that are distributors for alot of dif. companys. and i have a few contacts at some machine shops, aswell as a welder/pipeing guy. So, as such, I will be able to boost a z or whatever i get, without buying a kit from some company.

at any rate, the thought im having, is arias pistons/rods, and all the supporting mods i wont list, and maybe a single gt35r or twin gt28rs's

clearly, I do not want an auto, as I can not stand auto trany's.

Im just trying to decide if getting a Z is the best bet, I really love the car, and was wondering if there is anything, at all; that I might need to know. I refuse to buy a new car, I bought the hyundai new, when i wanted the Z anyways. And, I am just not going to buy another new car, ever again.

anyways, I know this is a long winded, random, ramley post.

so

cliff notes: I have a boosted v6 6 speed tib, I want to trade on a Z, and I want to boost said Z, and would like advice/tips/concerns so on and so forth

ive looked around a lil bit at parts for the z and have liked what i have seen

thanks,
Matt
Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 PM
zzzzzz ya

you will need more than 7k to properly boost the z.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzzz ya
you will need more than 7k to properly boost the z.
That depends. On a stock block, single turbo kit + install, UTEC, and tuning should be in the ballpark of $7k. Building the engine, however, is a whole other monster. I'm not sure if you can do a decent turbo engine build in the Z for $7k.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzzzzz ya
you will need more than 17k to properly boost the z.
fixed for you
Old 12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Armitage
On a stock block, single turbo kit + install, UTEC, and tuning should be in the ballpark of $7k.
he said properly
Old 12-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Speck

well jesus christ on a bike, i didnt mean turbo the car for 7k, i just meant put the 7k towards it.... duh lol
Old 12-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Speck

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
fixed for you

17k, jesus christ it isnt a tib!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Slopoke

you burned out a clutch in 10k miles? you may want to look at an auto.....
Old 12-28-2006, 02:18 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by Speck
well jesus christ on a bike, i didnt mean turbo the car for 7k, i just meant put the 7k towards it.... duh lol
Hmmmmm??

so the thought in my mind is this, sell all the parts from my tib, i might come out with 7k if i get lucky a lil more.. hopefully
buy a used 350z, and use that 7k or so, to boost the z
Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Speck What is

If you have been following this forum for 18 months, and do not drive a 350Z, then why now?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

17k, jesus christ it isnt a tib!!!
not to do it right IMO. built motor, turbo and a good tune easily over that.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
SergEK

Boosting any car is gonna be a headache but the gains and power are usaully worth the extra headaches

That being said the Z will cost you more in maintenance, insurance, gas along with more for boosting it

I would examine why you want a Z .....if its because you love the Z itself ...get one....if its just to go fast, there are plenty of other choices that can do that for less money if your strapped for cash

The Z is a great value, but when looking at it from a racing perspective, it can get a little spendy

An EVO would fit the bill nicely --- an RX7 FD ---- Hell even an FC with a decent piston motor would be a nice ride

You didnt really determine an overall budget so I have to guess on a few things.....if you have "contacts" I am sure a blown up FD for 5K and a motor swap plus boost will set you back about the price of a decent used Z so ....are we talking cash or financing a vehicle purchase etc....
Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Speck

financing the vehical, i financed the tib and sunk 15k in cash into aftermarket as it sits, and im trying to decide if i continue, with a car that, im not .. i duno

i just have always loved the z
Old 12-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Speck

Originally Posted by Slopoke
you burned out a clutch in 10k miles? you may want to look at an auto.....

A) no i did not
B) the car comes stock with 170 bhp and its sitting at about 310 bhp right now, soo you think a stock clutch can handle that? ok thats cool..
C) I wasnt the one who killed it.. but im not going to get into that
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM
SergEK

financing the vehical, i financed the tib and sunk 15k in cash into aftermarket as it sits, and im trying to decide if i continue, with a car that, im not .. i duno

If you love the Z then get one --- they are spendy to mod

If you are going to drop more cash on mods than be prepared --- 15K is chump change on a Z

Your gonna want brakes, wheels/tires, tt setup, tranny mods etc....

But when your done it will be a very nice ride ---- as you may know by now mod'ing is a lifestyle --- unless you love it your gonna regret it
Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Speck

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
not to do it right IMO. built motor, turbo and a good tune easily over that.

sorry thats like an inside joke, with me and im sure anyone here who used to own a tib.. lol

as i said, i can get a brand new gt35r or a brand new gt28rs for sub 1k

i know its gonna cost more than 7k.. ive alredy been through this with one car, i know what it takes to turbo a car, i know what the costs and risks are, just because it was a hyundai, doesnt mean it was easier, if anything it was harder, because nobody really makes anything for the car, one company, wich makes it insanely expensive, 4k for a turbo kit, that doesnt include intercooling, or fuel system upgrades, or tuning...... sure the kits for the z are well over that, they come with evrything though or atleast the ones ive seen, come with intercooler, fuel system upgrades, tuner, the works..

I do not know how this became a discussion about what it cost to boost a Z that is not anything remotely close to what i was looking for.........
Old 12-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Speck

Originally Posted by SergEK
If you love the Z then get one --- they are spendy to mod

If you are going to drop more cash on mods than be prepared --- 15K is chump change on a Z

Your gonna want brakes, wheels/tires, tt setup, tranny mods etc....

But when your done it will be a very nice ride ---- as you may know by now mod'ing is a lifestyle --- unless you love it your gonna regret it

oh i feel you

my tib is at 15k, and its not even close to done, ive just halted on it, trying to figure out before i get deeper, wtf am i gonna do, ya know

i love modding, i cant see buying a car, and leaving it stock i duno how people do that.. LOL

i wont buy a turbo kit, ill do my own, because i can do it as good or better, for cheaper, i can get all the parts, pretty much at cost, i have freinds that do pipeing, have machine shops, i have more tools, from working on this car, than you can shake a stick at, and buy more all the time, i love to work on the car myself, if i have the time away from work to do so

but i will NEVER buy a brand new car again to mod, its just dumb, imo, you pay for that brand new warranty and then promptly void it... aswell as loose a ton of money when the car drops value as you drive it off the lot..
Old 12-28-2006, 03:12 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Then there is the answer. You may be pleaded with the 350Z stock. If not then go forced-induction. Just do it.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Speck

Originally Posted by davidv
Speck What is

If you have been following this forum for 18 months, and do not drive a 350Z, then why now?

i havent been following it

i joind back in june 05, when i was going to trade, and thought itd be a bad financial desicion to trade at the time, and was almost done with the whole adventure that is turbo..

so i kept it
my friend is tradeing his on a z, and would like me to turbo his aswell, and it just made me think, damn i should get a z, and turbo it, itd be so much better than a turbo tib, i love the z, the z is a much better car, and will, mostlikely respond much better to a nice turbo setup, aswell as the fact that its rwd, and i cant stand fwd, i do not know what came over me, what possesd me to buy a fwd car, but i kick myself in the *** for it evryday.. i hate it
Old 12-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Speck

Originally Posted by davidv
Then there is the answer. You may be pleaded with the 350Z stock. If not then go forced-induction. Just do it.

ahhh i wish but i cant see driving an n/a car anymore, i am in love with the glory that is turbo, the way it comes up on boost, the way it behaves, i love it but i also dont know that i want a car that comes factory turbo

i like the challenge

of taking a car and ****in turboing the **** out of it

Quick Reply: I would like to discuss a few things