Glad to see non-"ricers"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Glad to see non-"ricers"

I am glad that people are going away from the cheaper-quality aftermarket companies, but i believe there are alot of people that 'jump the gun' on this board that think any type of odd curved kit, or any other spoiler than stock is rice... which is wrong.
people need to chill out when they call a sportier body kit rice if has a big wing. if you look at the overall picture alot of these kits look ugly/out of place unless you complete the touring car look.

i'm surprised people call the Veil side kits 'cool' while they bag the C-West kits... i just dont understand..

Originally posted by z461
I would just like to take this time to say I appreciate all the people on this board who are anti-"rice" and are into sensible and "clean" modding of the Z. I was afraid with the Z's low pricepoint many people would kill it with massive unusable wings, LED windshield washers, fart-can exhausts, and other janky/ shoddy modifications which debase the design of the vehicle. However, I must say that I am quite happy that the majority of people on here are into "classy" modding and haven't turned their cars into rice rockets (nor are planning on doing so). I will get off my high horse now...
Old 03-27-2003, 05:58 PM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by z461
I actually like the little spoiler too, I think the rear lines make the car look "buttless" and the little spoiler breaks up the expanse. I dunno, it's my opinion but lots of my friends think the non-spoiler models look kind of funny without the spoiler there.
The car was designed without the "little spoiler,"....or those gawdawful mudguards. That was the pure design. That was the design that I, and thousands of others, fell in love with. But here come the bean counters, and at $500 a spoiler, it's another way to make some extra bucks on a piece of crap that does almost nothing and costs them almost nothing.

You don't see little tacked on afterthoughts on some other beautiful designs....like the Ferrari 550.....the new Viper.....the Aston Martin Vanquish....or dare I say it: The C-5 Corvette. You do see them on disgusting little designs like the WRX or the new "high performance" Neon. I perceive the Z as having a higher class of design...a class that doesn't need little fins to make it a cohesive piece of automotive art.

If you like the spoiler, that's fine. I just find it a repulsive, tacky (although it could have been much worse) "boy ricer" stick-on, reminiscent of the worst of GM's design departent: "Hey, let's stick this spoiler on the Cavalier, then people will think it's cool!"

The Z doesn't need it.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's one thing for you so called anti-rice people to think about, and that is the price or should I say, the affordability of the 350Z. A base model runs about $26,200. That's well within reach of the masses, meaning your gonna have more people able to customize this car anyway they please. Plus, look at all the aftermarket stuff out there already. I've never seen so many bodykits,wings... for a new car in its first year of production.

Bat™
Old 03-27-2003, 07:00 PM
ScottC

I saw a huge wing on the back of a new VW Bug the other day! I wish I had a camera...I was almost embarrased for the guy. Yes I said guy! A guy with a VW Bug and a wing...I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Please, I beg you modifiers to think about what you are molding onto your Z. I promise you will look back at pictures someday, and shake your head in disbelief.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:06 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by Blue Batmobile
Here's one thing for you so called anti-rice people to think about, and that is the price or should I say, the affordability of the 350Z. A base model runs about $26,200. That's well within reach of the masses, meaning your gonna have more people able to customize this car anyway they please. Plus, look at all the aftermarket stuff out there already. I've never seen so many bodykits,wings... for a new car in its first year of production.

Bat™
You're right. Unfortunately, the Z has a quality of design that far exceeds it price and most of the vehicles that are the usual targets for a rice attack. I couldn't care less if someone wants to glue ridiculous plastic crap all over an RSX or Honda Civic or whatever.....but I do find it offensive when a car as well conceived as the Z is subject to the same bad taste. It's a crime, but you can't arrest someone for a lack of class.

Last edited by ZZtopp; 03-27-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:27 PM
JoeAE2005

Bat™
God help us all.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:42 PM
JoeAE2005

To me, bodykits are a way to make an otherwise normal car, look racy. By putting a body kit on a 350z, it's almost like saying that the original design wasn't good enough. Sorta like, it wasn't a sports car before, but NOW it is because i have this body kit on it. The 350z IS a sports car. It comes stock looking damn sexy. It's not a civic or a celica, it doesn't need a bodykit. That's my opinion anyway.

Most of the bodykits I see coming out for the 350z, with the exception of maybe ONE or two kits, make it looks like some sort of riced out celica.

And while i'm at it, it seems like most bodykits are attempting to achieve a common "uber-riced look". For example, two different model cars that have been riced out with bodykits end up looking strangely similar to each other...

I dunno, I say leave the 350z like it is. It already has a unique look, and it looks good!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:21 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad that people are going away from the cheaper-quality aftermarket companies
You are wrong- Weapon R rocks!!! (heavy sarcasm)
Seriously though- I'm not planning to mod the exterior of my car at all- It's all under the hood baby!!!
Old 03-28-2003, 02:52 AM
TriX

Well I think that you would need to post an age of owners with addition to the post. Which has alot to do with this. Just my opinion.

As far as asthetic mods. I really like seeing nice wheels on cars and I think it defeniately adds to a car. (IF THEY ARE DONE IN GOOD TASTE) and I have to say from what I been seeing from the members at this site I am very impressed. Just look at Z461.

But as far as the body kits and wings. Well that is another issue. So far I have seen one or two that I like BUT that doesn't mean they I agree with placing one on the car. Personally I think it destroys the apperance of a car and the design which was intended for the car. OF COURSE THIS IS MY OPINION.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:56 AM
jplvr

Originally posted by ScottC
I saw a huge wing on the back of a new VW Bug the other day! I wish I had a camera...I was almost embarrased for the guy. Yes I said guy! A guy with a VW Bug and a wing...I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Please, I beg you modifiers to think about what you are molding onto your Z. I promise you will look back at pictures someday, and shake your head in disbelief.
I'm going to start carrying my camera around with me. My favorite moment came a couple of years ago:

I stopped at a redlight and heard someone with a fartcan muffler coming up beside me. I expected to see a Civic, but no. It was a Saturn! What? A freakin' Saturn? I was laughing so hard I almost missed the guy slinking down in his seat after seeing me busting a gut. To top it all off, I saw a sticker on one not too long ago "Satun Club of Birmingham."

Found this link:

http://scbham.netfirms.com/memberpics.html
Old 03-29-2003, 05:31 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bat™
I couldn't figure out why so many companies took to the Z so quickly and not the S2000??

How many kids can afford the insurance on the Z? That is a major deterrent. When it's all said and done, the base model is more like $29k than $26k.

Anyway, why is everyone so worked up about what other people do to their cars? Even though there are tons and tons of horrific Civics, I still love seeing a turboed one.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:48 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nissan is probably the most respected automaker in Japan. They're big out there, so I can understand why so many companies have jumped on the aftermarket bandwagon.

Why kids can afford the insurance? Because mommy and daddy are paying for it!

I agree on yer last comment. I'm telling you, yer gonna see alot of riced out Z's in just a matter of time, but to each his own.

Bat™
Old 03-29-2003, 07:54 AM
9000RPMZ

U guys are stoopid.
All I read was "bad taste" "rice" "ricey"
Get off your high horses. I swear everybody here thinks they are style and good taste gods.
Facts are, the Z iz a JAPANESE car and the JAPANESE automotive style differs from fat-american-super-large-extra-super-size style. Last time I checked Japan is at the forefront of automotive technology and style...(only 15% of population is overweight too).
We X and Y generation do not want to be associated with all you old people. in a matter of fact, we live for your dis-approval. You guys not liking our style makes us extremely happy!

The Z is ONLY a 26k car. That price tag is not far from a new CIVIC or RSX. If you fockers don't want to be associated with "RICE", buy a Ford, Chevy, or Pontiac.

::flame suit now on::

Last edited by 350zSpeedRacer; 03-31-2003 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:57 AM
3rdpower

There's tasteful body modification (Nismo) and there there's ricy ones (Veilside - the nose job was just too much).

If you keep within a car's traditional lines and add some smooth line body modification then you're all good.

I personally like the Nismo wing. Along with its unique look it has practical use. Nismo actually put the kit in the wind tunnel unlike 99% of the rest of the body modifiers.

Cheap begets rice look.

BTW - I'm 27
Old 03-29-2003, 08:17 AM
TriX

Originally posted by 9000RPMZ
U guys are stoopid F U C K S.
All I read was "bad taste" "rice" "ricey"
Get off your high horses. I swear everybody here thinks they are style and good taste gods.
Facts are, the Z iz a JAPANESE car and the JAPANESE automotive style differs from fat-american-super-large-extra-super-size style. Last time I checked Japan is at the forefront of automotive technology and style...(only 15% of population is overweight too).
We X and Y generation do not want to be associated with all you old people. in a matter of fact, we live for your dis-approval. You guys not liking our style makes us extremely happy!

The Z is ONLY a 26k car. That price tag is not far from a new CIVIC or RSX. If you fockers don't want to be associated with "RICE", buy a F U C K I N G Ford, Chevy, or Pontiac.

::flame suit now on::
Really mr finance man. Actually price tag is 30k when you leave the dealership and that is only if you are good enough not to be pushed into any products. (example: LoJack, Extended Warrenty etc)

Then comes on the insurance. Which is another 3-4k depending per year. Maybe 2500 for some.

I don't see how that is the same as rsx? or a civic? And Japan is the forefront of automotive technology? How is that exactly?

Last edited by TriX; 03-29-2003 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:30 AM
TonyZXT

I don't like to see rice either, but when it comes to the point that someone can't even do 1 tasteful mod without 3 or 4 people posting RICE!!!, then it's gotten out of hand. Some people don't like to see a car with gaudy, classless mods, or the cars modded in the pep-boys parking lot, (ie. me) Then you've got people that the minute you mention modifying the car they start crying rice like a little child. I feel sorry for the people that are so unorigional and stodgy that they think a stock car is perfect cause that's the way the factory perfected it. Pulease!

Look at the PT Bruiser concept for an example, that was a tough looking vehicle! People told Chrysler they had to have it, but by the time the vehilce got to market, it was so watered down that it was a mear shadow of what the concept was. The bean-counters didn't have the guts to put out the cool version. I can't stand PT Cruisers. Car companies always water down their ideas from the more radical (and often better) original ideas. If you don't believe me, next time you ride around town look at stock wheels on cars. Half the time they have ultra ugly huge sidewalls on the tires, small rim size, and the ofset is pathetic, sometimes not coming within 3" of the edge of the fender. BORING, UGLY and ultra-conservative. Now pull up a pic of the original concept of that car on the net, I guarantee it looks better. Point being, that car companies almost never fulfill the looks potentail of a car from the factory. Am I advocating 5" tips neon windshield washer lights, big bulky heavy bodykits, or park bench sized alluminium wings, hell no. Am I advocating originality, tasteful mods, and making your Z look tough without cheesing it out, you betcha.

Those people that can't see moddifying a car at all should just go buy a light blue ford contour and blend in with the rest of the cookie cutter people.

At some point people took the word rice which used to be pretty clear cut and turned it around to mean anyone who makes their car less boring than stock in any way. That's getting real old, real fast. Hate rice all you want, but don't call everything rice because not only are you watering down your argument against it, but noone is going to take it seriously.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:27 PM
supra crazy

Originally posted by wildone_106
It wont last long, theres already kids 16 y/o who have Z's and the first thing they'll wanna do is pimp it out lol
hey im 16 and my dad bought me a track z last week and i dont want to get that rice stuff on it

its bad to steriotype teens for only wanting that ricey stuff most kids at my school hate riced out cars any how

Last edited by supra crazy; 03-29-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:31 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by supra crazy
hey im 16 and my dad bought me a track z last week and i dont want to get that rice stuff on it

its bad to steriotype teens for only wanting that ricey stuff most kids at my school hate riced out cars any how

Good thing you're still high school....maybe you can stay after school to brush up on your spelling and grammar.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Inova

Originally posted by JoeAE2005
To me, bodykits are a way to make an otherwise normal car, look racy. By putting a body kit on a 350z, it's almost like saying that the original design wasn't good enough. Sorta like, it wasn't a sports car before, but NOW it is because i have this body kit on it. The 350z IS a sports car. It comes stock looking damn sexy. It's not a civic or a celica, it doesn't need a bodykit. That's my opinion anyway.

Most of the bodykits I see coming out for the 350z, with the exception of maybe ONE or two kits, make it looks like some sort of riced out celica.

And while i'm at it, it seems like most bodykits are attempting to achieve a common "uber-riced look". For example, two different model cars that have been riced out with bodykits end up looking strangely similar to each other...

I dunno, I say leave the 350z like it is. It already has a unique look, and it looks good!

AMEN TO THAT!!
Old 03-30-2003, 08:44 PM
chinaman

Originally posted by ZZtopp
Good thing you're still high school....maybe you can stay after school to brush up on your spelling and grammar.
Haha, that's pretty damn funny man.
16 yr old w/ track model - pretty damn badass but he's only
semi-spoiled :P It's afterall not a Porsche Carrera or SL 500.

But yes at 16 to spell stereotype wrong is kinda scary!
Focus on school bro, cuz the car wont even be that cool in a
year or 2 once the newness is over!

Quick Reply: Glad to see non-"ricers"