Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well My car is totaled...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:59 AM
350zz053

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Well My car is totaled...

Yesterday My gf and I are driving on rt.1 with her brother and his friend following us. We were headed to my friends to party. Im in the right lane of the 3 lane highway, as im switching into the middle lane I see a cop taking radar. I than hit the brakes and my girlfriend says whats wrong. I said dont you see the cop.

As soon as I said that her brother car rams right into the back of my car. We spun across all three lines about 6 times and landed on the side of the road. He spun into the other side of the highway and back across to where we landed, but about 150 feet infront.

My car damage: The back of my car on the drivers side now sits above my rear tire. The passengers side isnt as bad. The back end is about 2 feet pushed in on passengers side. My friend who came to the seen who has a Z believes there going total it bc the back end is just creamed.

His Car: He has a tiburon, His car is totaled with out a doubt. He hit a sign as he spun and his engine was pushed back like crazy. I think they even said something about taking it straight to the junkyard.

Whats going to happen: My girlfriends brother is only 17, but actually got a dui. Im not sure what he blew, but he failed whatever Delawares limit is. Even though he is only 17. Which gives you 0 tolerance. He brought his friend to drive him bc he wanted to drink. But yet he didnt let him drive there when he was drunk already.

The cop was a total dick and gave me a ticket for slowing down without signal. I said I thought I payed for three brake lights when i bought the car. He said it was for slowing down rapidly, even though it doesnt have my speed or anything on the ticket. Im going to court for that one.

I mean my girlfriends brother recieved a dui and hit me from the back. So doesnt that automatically make him at fault?

In conclusion, I was so mad that he hit me. For a second I was on my way to go beat his face in. But realized that its a car, and his sister, my girlfriend, means a lot more to me than that. I was still so pissed about my car. When I go to the yard on Tuesday I will take pics of everything.

Please give me your opinion on everything. Im fighting that ticket bc he WAS drunk and did hit MY CAR from the back....

Last edited by 350zz053; 12-31-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:02 AM
T9000

Don't let people that are drunk drive, and definitely don't let them follow you.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:38 AM
ericjackson

yeah, you're supposed to follow the drunk
Old 12-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kid's insurance is going to bite it - hopefully he's got his coverage high enough to pay for your car.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 AM
numberonegun

i suppose all mods are lost? theat blows man i feel for you.
Sean

Originally Posted by 350zz053
Yesterday I than hit the brakes and my girlfriend says whats wrong. I said dont you see the cop.

As soon as I said that her brother car rams right into the back of my car. We spun across all three lines about 6 times and landed on the side of the road. He spun into the other side of the highway and back across to where we landed, but about 150 feet infront.

The back of my car on the drivers side now sits above my rear tire. The passengers side isnt as bad. The back end is about 2 feet pushed in on passengers side.

My girlfriends brother is only 17, but actually got a dui. Im not sure what he blew, but he failed whatever Delawares limit is. Even though he is only 17. Which gives you 0 tolerance. He brought his friend to drive him bc he wanted to drink. But yet he didnt let him drive there when he was drunk already.

Please give me your opinion on everything.
I shortened the post to highlight what I want to address.
First, he was a 17 year old who had gotten booze, you could be in trouble for contributing to the Delinquency of a minor...if he says you got him the booze you are toast. You knew he had been drinking but didn't stop him from driving and even following you. You both had to be going high speed or you wouldn't have cared about the Cop and your cars wouldn't have bounced so far and damaged so much. You hit the brakes hard enough for your girlfriend to ask you what was wrong...
So, all in one, you let a minor drink, drive, follow you while speeding, slam the brakes to avoid a ticket and WHAM. Now you want us to tell you it's all his fault. I can't support you on this, Lucky no one died.

I don't mean to come down hard, but you asked.
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ladies and gentlemen........this is what you get when the price on the z drops...........(drumroll).....threads like these!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM
jdm_Z33

regardless of if he was drunk or not you did put on the brakes rapidly without any notification to the guy following you, I guess maybe if he had a z with some brembo's he couldv'e avoided the whole thing lol but sorry for your loss man. I wouldn't put the entire blame on him though... Just partial.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
ladies and gentlemen........this is what you get when the price on the z drops...........(drumroll).....threads like these!

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with this. The likelihood of incidents like this one would not be as prevalent if the Zs were still priced at $46k.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:09 AM
350zz053

What are you talking about? Price has nothing to do with this. I could have been driving a kia and hit the brakes. I was going about 75 and the speed limit is 65. And Im not the one who got behind the wheel of his car. he was. And I couldnt of bought him alcohol bc im only 20 years old.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 AM
350zz053

Originally Posted by sean1967
I shortened the post to highlight what I want to address.
First, he was a 17 year old who had gotten booze, you could be in trouble for contributing to the Delinquency of a minor...if he says you got him the booze you are toast. You knew he had been drinking but didn't stop him from driving and even following you. You both had to be going high speed or you wouldn't have cared about the Cop and your cars wouldn't have bounced so far and damaged so much. You hit the brakes hard enough for your girlfriend to ask you what was wrong...
So, all in one, you let a minor drink, drive, follow you while speeding, slam the brakes to avoid a ticket and WHAM. Now you want us to tell you it's all his fault. I can't support you on this, Lucky no one died.

I don't mean to come down hard, but you asked.

A. Im 20, I couldnt of bought him alcohol
B. He met me and my girfriend at the mall so he could follow me to my friends house
C. Im not responsible for his actions when he drinks and drives. I didnt know he was to drunk to be driving bc I did meet him somewhere. So wherever he drank prior to meeting me was on him. I was sober and just leaving work.
D. Age or value of the car does not have anything to do with the accident. Can you please tell me how it does? bc I could of been in ANY other car.
E. Its pure ignorance on your part to assume the things you have. The title and insurance are in my name. I put my savings down on the car.

If you didnt have the money to pay for a car when you were my age oh well. Im 20, attend college full time as well as a full time job. My parents dont even pay for my school. They told me financing is part of my growing up experience. They own a real-estate and construction company, but wont let me even work with them till I recieve some type of degree. So please stop with the oh here is a young kid in a Z. If you hit your brakes for a cop and your gf's brother hit you. Would that make you more innocent than me?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If you braked sudden enough that the cop saw your car nose dive before impact, then he was right to write you a ticket despite the accident.

Sux for the kid though. He's going to face quite a bit as a result. Hopefully you'll end up alright with a fresh new/used car in the end.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Stabber

Originally Posted by 350zz053
What are you talking about? Price has nothing to do with this. I could have been driving a kia and hit the brakes. I was going about 75 and the speed limit is 65. And Im not the one who got behind the wheel of his car. he was. And I couldnt of bought him alcohol bc im only 20 years old.

People say the low price of the 350z has attracted some non-Z enthusiasts, and I agree 100%. Never in my life have I seen more former rice boys get into a Z (because of their low cost now). This would have never been the case, had Nissan kept the price high. The Z used to be a gentlemen's car, now it is the new "Tuner" car. Those who are old school know exactly what I mean.

That being said, I don't know you so I am not saying you fall into the above. If you live in DE or MD, you should know RT-1 is the last place you should speed. It is infested with cops. Furthermore you should know the majority of DE cops have childhood complexes and are just waiting for you to screw up. It is a state where they want to make a name for themselves, because they are the laughing stock of all surround states.

I am glad you are ok. We've all done stupid things in our past. The important thing is that no one is injured. I wish you luck getting his insurance to pay for it. If you were charged with an offense, your insurance company will look down upon that

Last edited by Stabber; 12-31-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:25 AM
HighwaySpeed

I'm glad that none of you were hurt. Hopefully, the ticket will get dismissed.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:31 AM
350zz053

Originally Posted by russ713
If you braked sudden enough that the cop saw your car nose dive before impact, then he was right to write you a ticket despite the accident.

Sux for the kid though. He's going to face quite a bit as a result. Hopefully you'll end up alright with a fresh new/used car in the end.
I hear you. But the cop who gave me a ticket wasnt even the cop that was sitting on the side. The ticket doesnt have a speed. I slowed down from 75-80 to about 65-70. Its not like i came to a complete stop. He loves to follow close. My gf noticed it when we got on the highway that he was always on me. My guess would be if I changed lanes, he was looking over as he changed as well. and when he looked straight, it was to late. I think he started speeding up as he changed lanes. Bc the exact second i came into the middle lane i hit the brakes. So i think he saw me last minute. and they said he was drunk so i guess his reflexes were slower

I bought My 04 Z at the start of 06. I had been saving and waiting to sell my car so I could get a Z. I always loved the 300zx. But was waiting to get the 350z. I didnt get it for speed of the car. I 100% love the looks of the Z. I fell in love with it when i saw my friends.

Last edited by 350zz053; 12-31-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:44 AM
todd_06trackZ

you said you were going 75 in a 65 and you hit the brakes hard? i wouldn't even bother doing that because it would be obvious to the cop you were speeding and going 10 over isn't that big of a deal. so unless you are really afraid of getting pulled over for going 75 in a 65, it just doesn't make sense.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
350zz053

Originally Posted by todd_06trackZ
you said you were going 75 in a 65 and you hit the brakes hard? i wouldn't even bother doing that because it would be obvious to the cop you were speeding and going 10 over isn't that big of a deal. so unless you are really afraid of getting pulled over for going 75 in a 65, it just doesn't make sense.

I have 14 points on my license though.
7 of which are out of state. But the dmv said if i get another ticket my license is suspened for 2 months. And cops in Delaware are total dicks. My friend got one today for going 10 over. They love to target the younger crowd. I bet that they would give a ticket to a 35 yr old going 10mph over. I guess its part of growing up.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:11 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread needs some photos.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:17 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW I am glad to hear that no one was injured, and that you guys didn't kill someone else on the highawy.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Zmazing03

Ouch man, 14 points? DAMN.

I agree with you though. Unless he was noticably drunk (and blowing a .08 may not be noticable for a LOT of people), then there is absolutely nothing you could have done, not knowing. As for slamming on the brakes, for 10 mph? That wasn't worth it. If you were going 5 over they aren't going to bust you, all you have to do is breath on the brakes for that to happen. I am guessing he had to be withing 5 feet of your damn bumper, to hit you that hard, or you slowed down to way less than 65 mph (which is possible. I see people do that all the time, next thing they know they are doing 55 in a 65 becuase they saw a cop).

That ticket is BS. Signal for hard braking? Yeah, I put on the emergency blinkers, but not for that situation.

Quick Reply: Well My car is totaled...