Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Totalled Zs: one sign Nissan did it right?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007 | 11:01 AM
On Nightfall

Thumbs up

Great Write up
Old 01-01-2007 | 11:13 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap
Premier Member

Good info but I think that's why, while its fun you mod your Z, you also need to mod the driver. Attending HPDE, Auto-X, even drag events improves the driver. Any idiot can get into a Z and with a straight enough road do 150 mph. A driver knows; 1) where & when do reach excessive speeds, 2) how to react to a situation at those speeds. Once the driver learn that the car isn't immune from error and know how to react at certain speeds & conditions they won't rely on Nissan's engineers to protect them. Better yet, their passenger.
Old 01-01-2007 | 11:19 AM
Ebony350

And we wonder why the Z weighs so much !!?? The Z obviously doesn't compromise your safety, for style/speed. I wonder how safe the Lotus Exige is???

Last edited by Ebony350; 01-01-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2007 | 09:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ebony350
And we wonder why the Z weighs so much !!?? The Z obviously doesn't compromise your safety, for style/speed. I wonder how safe the Lotus Exige is???
Good point. Nissan obviously made no compromises on safety and weight has been a sore point from a performance standpoint. But it seems clear that part of the Z's weight is from the comprehensive list of safety features that were part of the car's design from inception.
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:30 AM
sisco534

Well built car , I have crashed mine twice 360 once into brick wall , never a srcatch over 15k so far in repairs....I will own it forever now. Oh well I love this car it has saved my as$ many times.
Old 01-02-2007 | 04:22 PM
boomer gt

dkmura, I agree about the driving training it is abysmal. Would be very costly to improve training. This is where I think common sense and good judgment come into play.

I think a certain amount can be taught by parents. Kids need to learn to make good decision, decisions that reflect back on them. Without accountability people will be slower on the uptake.

Example: walk before you run....this can be pressed into the accountability of safe driving decisions.

It about staying within yourself, knowing your limits. I believe , to a certain extent that this can be taught through proper child raising.

Sorry to sound my age but life does have it's advantages with more life experiences.

I'm a young 58 yrs. Still think young, look young, but act with hopefully learned wisdom.

Ya I can hear it now...get off the soap box grandpa..

Oh well as they say "LIVE AND LEARN''
Old 01-03-2007 | 08:35 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

I have a lot to say on this but I will limit it to four things:

1) Most young people feel safe driving anything at any speed. Immortality only last until you realize you never had any, hopefully this happens before its proven to you.

2) There is no proof people driving Zs have any better skills than anyone else and lately it seems maybe we have less.

3) Life, there is no reset button, do it right the first time.

Chris
Old 01-03-2007 | 10:24 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Ebony350
I saw an Elise the other day in a parking lot and was thinking that same thing! An accident would be very bad in one of those. Actually, nobody wants to get in an accident in anything, but some offer more safety than others in case something bad should occur.
Old 01-03-2007 | 09:18 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I have a lot to say on this but I will limit it to four things:

1) Most young people feel safe driving anything at any speed. Immortality only last until you realize you never had any, hopefully this happens before its proven to you.

2) There is no proof people driving Zs have any better skills than anyone else and lately it seems maybe we have less.

3) Life, there is no reset button, do it right the first time.

Chris
Still waiting for your fourth item!
Old 01-03-2007 | 09:51 PM
ANXIOUZ

^^ LMAO.

Nissan got safety right even in the first year: http://www.internetautoguide.com/cra...50z/index.html

5-star Driver Side
5-Star Front Impact
4-star Passenger Side

And I'm not even sure this is with the optional side curtain airbags. People laugh when I tell them my car has 2 seats and 6 airbags. They can't believe it. Whenever I start thinking about another car I can't seem to find an equally sporty, yet safe, choice.
Old 01-03-2007 | 11:08 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Originally Posted by dkmura
Still waiting for your fourth item!
Yeah, decided to keep that to myself, I must be a bit superstitious because I know the I shoot my mouth off, I will be the one posting pics of a twisted Z.

Sorry,
Chris
Old 01-20-2007 | 08:16 PM
Ebony350

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Yeah, decided to keep that to myself, I must be a bit superstitious because I know the I shoot my mouth off, I will be the one posting pics of a twisted Z.

Sorry,
Chris
Intelligent Choice
Old 01-22-2007 | 05:30 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!
Premier Member

I have totaled two. I was not seriously injured either time.

1) Got a concussion and could not retain memories for about 8 hours. I could only remember stuff for 5 minutes at a time. Couple of cuts and bruises.

2) Couple of cuts and bruises.

Both times I was doing the speed limit and some one pulled out in front of me. I was wearing my seat belts and the front air bags deployed.

1) November 2002 - Dodge Dakota pulled out from left to right and I hit them in the passenger side of the engine compartment. Flattened the front of the car. I then got turned around and t-boned in the passenger side. Speed at first impact 45-50 miles an hour.

2) January 2007 - 94 Ford Extra cab truck pulled out from left to right and I hit them in the passenger side of the engine compartment. Flattened the front of the car. Speed at impact 35-40 miles an hour.

Car is safe; however OTHER drivers are not. Both cars were Le Mans Sunset.

J
Old 01-22-2007 | 03:53 PM
Spike100

Good thread.

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
^^ LMAO.
... And I'm not even sure this is with the optional side curtain airbags. People laugh when I tell them my car has 2 seats and 6 airbags. They can't believe it. Whenever I start thinking about another car I can't seem to find an equally sporty, yet safe, choice.
I don’t have side curtain airbags, but I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience with these in an actual crash. I don’t have side curtain airbags on my Z (wish I did), but I have this on my Jeep (the Jeep model I have has 6 side airbags), and got a substantial discount on my insurance for this option. I assume this discount comes from the actuary tables that drive insurance companies pricing of their policies (meaning that the side air bags reduce injuries). --Spike
Old 01-23-2007 | 04:54 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!
Premier Member

Both my Zs had the side curtain airbags. They did not go off in either accident.

J
Old 01-23-2007 | 07:10 AM
ANXIOUZ

I've heard that a few times now. It almost sounds like the sides don't seem to go off unless you're t-boned. I dunno though.

At worst it at least helps with the insurance rates. I just read a thread where someone posted the Z being the #9 most costly to insure vehicle (beyond supercars I'm sure). My insurance is just a hair more than my wife's 3-series BMW....and I believe all of that difference is in the damage/repairs section.
Old 01-23-2007 | 09:18 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Side impact airbags have their sensors mounted to trigger ONLY when hit from that side (or in a rollover accident). To have them deploy in a frontal impact (like LeMans350Z experienced 2X) could actually CAUSE greater injuries. That's what the front airbags and safety systems are for!

Unfortunately, there's a cost/benefit ratio- as the Z takes the brunt of the impact, the injury rates go down while the cost to repair goes up! But with the cost of medical treatment today, that's a wise tradeoff IMHO.

David Muramoto
Senior Editor
Nissan Sport Magazine
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:06 PM
ANXIOUZ

I'll take "alive" over damage to the Z any day.
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:16 PM
Muzlimchu

I have just read through the entire thread and agree with almost all the points.

However, one thought went unsaid....

Maybe it seems like everyone survives the Z accidents casue the ones that were killed were a little to dead to post. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:53 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
I'll take "alive" over damage to the Z any day.
+1

I can buy a new Z... cannot buy a new Me... --Spike

Quick Reply: Totalled Zs: one sign Nissan did it right?!