Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Opinions Needed(thanks N advance)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
rick_rossi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Needed(thanks N advance)

Hello everyone,

I am New to the forum and I have a couple of questions and concerns. Im thinking about purchasing a 350Z. My current vehicle is an 04 Sti making 350whp. All of my friends say Im making a mistake and I will not be able to abstract that kind of power out of a 350 without breaking the bank. Honestly, the 350 is sooo bad ***, and I really the aggressive stance they hold when you have a nice set of wheels on them.

Do you guy/girls think I will be dissapointed in the vehicle as far as power is concerned?

I would really like to turbo the car but after reading some of the threads on here I see that you really need to build the motor first.

Like I said b4 any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
Old 01-12-2007, 01:24 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rick_rossi
Do you guy/girls think I will be dissapointed in the vehicle as far as power is concerned?
Yes. Terribly.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
ANXIOUZ

+1. You're looking at between 230-250whp in a stock Z. In order to get into the 300's you need to go FI.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:48 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres definitely a price to pay for that "aggressive stance" and big power to boot.

I'd keep the STi for cheaper HP.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Hello everyone,
Thanks, Rick
I see you found it
Old 01-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you get rid of the box, and upgrade to a vehicle with some road presence.

IMO, the Z is a more complete package.

R
Old 01-15-2007, 06:10 PM
rick_rossi

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Theres definitely a price to pay for that "aggressive stance" and big power to boot.

I'd keep the STi for cheaper HP.
yea... but I have had my fun with the Sti, I wanted to do something different this time. I have done "some" research on the
Z's and correct me if Im wrong but it seems the smartest way to make power is to do a motor build and Forced induction.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:15 PM
rick_rossi

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
+1. You're looking at between 230-250whp in a stock Z. In order to get into the 300's you need to go FI.
how well does the motor hold up in stock form with FI?

thanks for all the feedback guys! this really helps.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

look in the fi section for sharif's posts. youll learn he is a pretty good tuner when it comes to the 350s.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:51 PM
modzs

feel free to PM me with any questions you may have on FI, I'll do my best to try to answer them.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:40 PM
AdriaN-

Well let me tell you its a hard choice really. My brother has a 2006 STi and I effin love it, I've driven it more than 30 times to be honest and even raced it(no launches). His consists of the APS 3.5" exhaust and the cobb tuning accessport... and let me tell you for thoose little mods his car runs sweet. He was eating my DSM @ 13 psi. The STi compared to my slightly modded Z is a bit faster and handles corners like no joke and the ride is smooth. Car is a perfect drag/autox/ and or track car, I love it to death and it would be my second choice behind a Z. but the feeling I get when driving the Z and the rush and quick response of the VQ35 is so dreamy that driving the car has become a SERIOUS ADDICTION. Not only does my Z look beautiful but it performs just as good as it looks. Girls love it but most importantly the car looks like no other and its simply gorgeous on the road. And trustme, you wont be too dissapointed in the performance.

To be dead honest, if your looking for speed and really into the racing/track scene then take/keep the STi, hands down. The car has a rock solid suspension, decent interior trim, 4-door sedan, and DREAMY AWD! plus the very good speed. If you want something to relax and have fun and lookd good in, then the Z is there, and wow im having a lot of fun with mine and i've had it for 3 weeks...

hard choice but ive had 1st hand expierence on both cars, any questions let me know.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:13 PM
rick_rossi

Originally Posted by AdriaN-
Well let me tell you its a hard choice really. My brother has a 2006 STi and I effin love it, I've driven it more than 30 times to be honest and even raced it(no launches). His consists of the APS 3.5" exhaust and the cobb tuning accessport... and let me tell you for thoose little mods his car runs sweet. He was eating my DSM @ 13 psi. The STi compared to my slightly modded Z is a bit faster and handles corners like no joke and the ride is smooth. Car is a perfect drag/autox/ and or track car, I love it to death and it would be my second choice behind a Z. but the feeling I get when driving the Z and the rush and quick response of the VQ35 is so dreamy that driving the car has become a SERIOUS ADDICTION. Not only does my Z look beautiful but it performs just as good as it looks. Girls love it but most importantly the car looks like no other and its simply gorgeous on the road. And trustme, you wont be too dissapointed in the performance.

To be dead honest, if your looking for speed and really into the racing/track scene then take/keep the STi, hands down. The car has a rock solid suspension, decent interior trim, 4-door sedan, and DREAMY AWD! plus the very good speed. If you want something to relax and have fun and lookd good in, then the Z is there, and wow im having a lot of fun with mine and i've had it for 3 weeks...

hard choice but ive had 1st hand expierence on both cars, any questions let me know.

Thanks for the feed back man! The more I talk to people on here and read different threads the Z seems to be the car im leaning towards. I hope that 15k to start with for mods will help. The thing about my STi that I do not like is that it's a cop magnet! but I agree with you in refrence to the Z, it's a sexy a$$ car especially with a nice set of 19's with a staggerd offset!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:33 AM
ANXIOUZ

how well does the motor hold up in stock form with FI?
With "reasonable" power, it's proving to be quite solid. There seem to be a lot of Vortech superchargers pushing the 380-400whp/350-380tq range stock with zero issues. Anything beyond that and I'd personally be a bit cautious.

With $15k for mods you're more than all set to have a killer Z. You can get a new Vortech for $4500, and most TT kits are just a bit more than that. Even if you factor in a motor build, you're still way under budget.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 AM
rAiN

you wont be giving ur friends a ride home anymore. thats only if you got a gf that wanna get shotgun all the time.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:10 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

If you are racing your STI and haven't broke anything yet, you arent racing it hard enough!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
rick_rossi

Originally Posted by DROPPEDIT2WCE
If you are racing your STI and haven't broke anything yet, you arent racing it hard enough!
Broke the tranny, twice.