Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z vs evo 8

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:40 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteve
Nope you read that wrong. He ONLY has a cat back exhaust cat delete and mail in flash wich was about 1100 total. Total in mods is about 3g's though...... suspension, tint, and few small things here and there add up.
If you have spent anytime racing, then you know the wannabies without arm bands who hang around racers bragging.

My buddy has got such-as-such and it does blank seconds.

My buddy is building a super-duper-charged this-or-that and it will do blank seconds.

My buddy is a national autocross champion.

Enough about your buddy. What did you bring?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:41 PM
ssteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid117
If you want to have that "fast and the furious" look, get the evo, with the gigantic wing, clear taillights, and sonic the hedgehog's spikes on the roof.

If you want a sleek, balanced sports car, I'd say Z.
The looks on both cars IMO are great, just totally different so that wouldnt be a diciding factor for me. And are you saying that the evo is "unbalanced"?
does it have bad handling characteristics or something? Most everything I have read on it says that it handles great, but maybe thats just with a pro driver?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:54 PM
ssteve

Originally Posted by davidv
If you have spent anytime racing, then you know the wannabies without arm bands who hang around racers bragging.

My buddy is building a super-duper-charged this-or-that and it will do blank seconds.

I brought a impala ss, and a 10sec yamaha R6 and a 1957 *****'s pickup with a small block. I am not at all bragging about his car, cause there isnt anything to brag about. Im just stating facts about a car that I have first hand experiance with thats all.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Mid117

No, the evo is great at handling.

I just meant all around, the Z has the advantage. Like daily driving, the ride on the Z is more comfortable. The 3.5 V6 has smooth, linear acceleration all across the board, and low-end torque helps in daily driving. In the Evo, all the power hits when the turbo spools, which makes it fun/rough, but not something I'd drive every day
Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 PM
tylerdurden07

Both cars are bad a$$ and excel in different areas.... Forget beating a dead horse, this is running that $h!t over with a SEMI...
Old 01-12-2007, 04:04 PM
ssteve

Originally Posted by Mid117
No, the evo is great at handling.

I just meant all around, the Z has the advantage. Like daily driving, the ride on the Z is more comfortable. The 3.5 V6 has smooth, linear acceleration all across the board, and low-end torque helps in daily driving. In the Evo, all the power hits when the turbo spools, which makes it fun/rough, but not something I'd drive every day
Ok I got ya. The ride in anything I get isnt going to be that great since I plan on coilovers. The 350 motor feels great as far as the way the power comes on, its just no where near enough of it for me. I am more concerned with. Will it ever have enough power for me short of a twin turbo kit, and if I did that would it get rid of the livability and durability of it?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Mid117

Ok I got ya. The ride in anything I get isnt going to be that great since I plan on coilovers. The 350 motor feels great as far as the way the power comes on, its just no where near enough of it for me. I am more concerned with. Will it ever have enough power for me short of a twin turbo kit, and if I did that would it get rid of the livability and durability of it?
enough power? People on this board with TT kits run from 400 rwhp - 430 rwhp, on a stock block. Is that enough? Any more, you'd have to build the motor for safe power.

As far as reliability with F/I, it's a gamble. Some people blow their motors, some people run it without any issues at all. A good, conservative tune is the key. But you should be prepared for the worst.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:23 PM
ssteve

Ouch! A gamble? Whats realistic power wise for a NA 350?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Mid117

Well, there are plenty on this board that run stock blocks and TT's without any issues, its just that every here and there somebody gets unlucky. With the right install and tune, you should run well.

Bolt-ons on a Z would be under 300rwhp.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Mid117

you could always look into a supercharger, my friend Frank with the Z has a vortech and exhaust, has no issues, and dyno's 400rwhp. I read that superchargers are safer than turbo's
Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
ssteve

Roughly what would a full bolt on NA run in the 1/4? Would it be possible to hit 12's with none drag friendly suspension like coil overs and low profile tire?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Mid117

With full bolt-ons, low 13's is very possible, with a good driver

When Alberto had bolt-ons, DR's, he dyno'd 262rwhp, and hit 13.1 @ 107mph in th 1/4 mile.

If you can get your hands on a 2007 Z, they should have a big improvement over the current ones
Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv

Old 01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
ssteve

Yeah I dont really have that much to spend. I love the way the 350 handles and drives, but for me power comes into play a lot, when Im spending over 20 grand. I would hate to get smoked by a srt4 or some little hatchback, granted that the 350 is a far better car then both of those. It starting to look more and more like I am leaning to the evo. I appreciate the help guys.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Mid117

Yeah I dont really have that much to spend. I love the way the 350 handles and drives, but for me power comes into play a lot, when Im spending over 20 grand. I would hate to get smoked by a srt4 or some little hatchback, granted that the 350 is a far better car then both of those. It starting to look more and more like I am leaning to the evo. I appreciate the help guys.
If modding and speed is all you want, then I'd say get the Evo. But the Z has the all-around package.

Good luck with your choice
Old 01-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your intentions are to race, whether street/track (I would hope track), you would be better off going with an Evo or STI. For the obvious reasons.

Good luck,

R
Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM
ssteve

Thanks guys. I am coming from spirited riding on sport bikes over the last few years, but have decided that I would like to spend some time at the track in a car. Considering that the average sport bike runs in the tens and has insane handling capabilities a lot of cars just feel kinda.... Blah.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
fusionchicken

this is a 350z board, so the answers are obviously going to be biased, though i didnt expect this much...

PM me if you want to ask me about Evo's and 350z's...i dont want to start a flame war here, but i want to give you real facts about both car's modding potential without all the bias/fanboy's in the way.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 AM
6society

Originally Posted by md350
Z = fast sports car
Evo/STi = fast family sedan w/ wing

LOL, so true. Ok, I'll admit it, I am a total EVo hater. When I peek out and look at my 06 Silverstone Z in the driveway, I just say damm, that car is pimp.
How anyone could want an Evo over a Z I'll never know. But that's just one man's opinion.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 AM
Sin-R V6

I am in the same situation you are. I've been looking into a new car as well. But getting seriously tired of all the street craze about Evo's & STi's. Some kid is bound to roll up to me in a hatch and want to race.

But in the end, I decided to go with a 350Z. Overall, its balanced car. Looks, power, and durability...all big things for me especially when I plan on keeping the car for quite awhile. Half of my friends would turn their heads to look at a 350Z passing by then a Evo smashing by.

But again, I love Evo's. If this was 1-2 years ago, i'd pick a Evo over anything on the speed market with it's price range. But now as i'm gettin tired of the street scene, a Z is made for cruising and I love that. Besides, getting tired of driving a stick every damn day to work. Ima go back to auto.

But like everyone else said, if it's power you want and to get all the good feelings of people saying "oooooh" or "waahhh" when you smoke a car off the line, then the Evo is made with your name written all over it. If you want a car that when you pass by or parked and have people say "damn thats a nice car" then Z it is.

Quick Reply: 350z vs evo 8