VLSD added to base model = $450
k&n drop in filter = $30
Stillen TP's used = $75
skunk2 spacer = $100
intense motorsports y-pipe = $135
used hoosier dr's on probe rims = $150

#'s on an in-ground mustang dyno

N/A = 254hp
100 shot on 93 octane = 310hp/ 350lbs.tq.
150 shot on 110 = 35xhp/ 417lbs.tq.

My buddy has a 06 evo mr with MPC, injen intake, test pipes and exhaust with a flashed/street tuned 24 lbs. of boost/28 lbs. on 100 octane. Basically, the only thing he can do more is cams and fuel upgrades before spending big $$$. Although, cams ain't cheap!

Just dynoed my car yesterday and the evo came with. Well, on our way home with the 150 shot still in and a passenger in my car. We did a 3rd gear punch through 4th. Lets just say i started walking him which turned into a light jog. To defend my evo buddy, if we started off the line I probably wouldn't pass him until the end of 4th but with 150 shot on nitto's with 35psi in them, lets just say traction was an issue. The 100 shot with low tire pressure on the nitto's would be a hell of a race, but at the track with my dr's and 150 shot, I feel he'll need more than cams to catch me. I ran a 12.5 on 125 shot but since then I added the y-pipe, vlsd and tuned 150 shot, I'm hoping for 12.00 maybe 11's

This is what I call "ballin' on a budget" or "faking it till I make it"
Old 01-15-2007, 08:22 AM
ssteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, so I bought a evo. Its an 03 with 31,000. Had all service records and checked out fine. I went and drove a few more things and considering what I want to do with the car the evo was the clear choice for the price. I really appreciate all the responses. As far as what one350zfan had to say: Yes I agree your car is a great performer, but on a side note your friends evo isnt performing like it should. I was at the track last weekend and there was a couple evo IX's running 11.8's-12.3's with less done then your friend has. His car should run a 12.9-13.2 stock with just a 1.8-1.9 60' Tell him he really needs to get a custom tune. I plan on spending some time at the track so nitrous wouldnt be the best bet since its not very practicle in the corners. Dont get me wrong I love the looks and feel of the 350, and actually still plan to buy one but it will most likely be once the price drops a little more and I can pick one up for a drift car. On a side note though I believe that I have one of my friends talked into buying one since he just sould his stage 3 wrx he is looking for a good all around rwd car, so Im sure he will be joining you all soon. When I get a second I will post up some pics of my car so I can let the haters hate, and the people that enjoy other vehicles besides the ones that they own, check it out.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

SRT-4, evo, cobalt, wrx.... all the same.... just another kids car. groceries, picnics, car seats in the back, maybe a nice bike rack for the roof lol. Talk about those cars on forums designated to them where you won't get biased opinions like mine.

Last edited by DROPPEDIT2WCE; 01-15-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssteve
Ok guys, so I bought a evo. Its an 03 with 31,000. Had all service records and checked out fine. I went and drove a few more things and considering what I want to do with the car the evo was the clear choice for the price. I really appreciate all the responses. As far as what one350zfan had to say: Yes I agree your car is a great performer, but on a side note your friends evo isnt performing like it should. I was at the track last weekend and there was a couple evo IX's running 11.8's-12.3's with less done then your friend has. His car should run a 12.9-13.2 stock with just a 1.8-1.9 60' Tell him he really needs to get a custom tune. I plan on spending some time at the track so nitrous wouldnt be the best bet since its not very practicle in the corners. Dont get me wrong I love the looks and feel of the 350, and actually still plan to buy one but it will most likely be once the price drops a little more and I can pick one up for a drift car. On a side note though I believe that I have one of my friends talked into buying one since he just sould his stage 3 wrx he is looking for a good all around rwd car, so Im sure he will be joining you all soon. When I get a second I will post up some pics of my car so I can let the haters hate, and the people that enjoy other vehicles besides the ones that they own, check it out.
just post them in th other car section where they belong
Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
hidehide

Actually, I think the evo is faster..
There is a guy saying he did like 8 runs with the evo 8 on an empty freeway and destroyed him pretty badly..
I guess the owner doesnt know how to drive.. there is a well known problem of the evo that it has a turbo lag..
Did you guys watch the video saying that the evo can caught up with the lambo?? And its so easy to drive that he can use only one hand to turn the steering wheel?
In addition, Evo is 4wd.. even better..

I bought the Z pre-owned, the previous owner sold it for a EVO..

Hey, if you can, buy the EVO FQ, its the best EVO.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Hypnoz

Why do people respond to 350z vs EVO posts anymore? There is like 1 a week now. The misinformation about the evo is astounding. Seriously SEARCH the other 1000 evo vs 350z posts.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by ssteve
As far as what one350zfan had to say: Yes I agree your car is a great performer, but on a side note your friends evo isnt performing like it should. I was at the track last weekend and there was a couple evo IX's running 11.8's-12.3's with less done then your friend has. His car should run a 12.9-13.2 stock with just a 1.8-1.9 60' Tell him he really needs to get a custom tune.
It is a custom tune! The dude hooked his lap-top in and they street tuned for two hours. His car beats stock '04 cobra's, just not fast enough to beat me!
Stock Evo IX's run mid 13's around here, maybe your track is down hill.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Sin-R V6

Originally Posted by hidehide
Did you guys watch the video saying that the evo can caught up with the lambo?? And its so easy to drive that he can use only one hand to turn the steering wheel? In addition, Evo is 4wd.. even better..
That Evo that caught the Lambo is a FQ430. Something we wont ever get here unless we spend over $90K to get it shipped over here and leaglized. AWD isnt really a big deal unless you like hitting corners at high speeds or backroading.

I agree (very vaguely) that Evo's, STi's are for teens who like the rep of the car. Alot of them buy it, drive it, then find out they cant afford it, and sell it after they beat the living hell out of it. This is just with some teens I know. Some Evo owners actually like to track the car or autocross it which is what it's made for in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:27 PM
ssteve

Originally Posted by one350zfan
It is a custom tune! The dude hooked his lap-top in and they street tuned for two hours. His car beats stock '04 cobra's, just not fast enough to beat me!
Stock Evo IX's run mid 13's around here, maybe your track is down hill.
IMO the only way to get a good "custom" tune is on a dyno, everything else is just a street tune. I have seen people gain 10-25whp over what they thought was a spot on tune. Dont get me wrong, I am in no way shape or form saying that your car is slow or his car is slow, and you are correct. Most IX's do run in the mid 13's, but that is usually due to a bad launch or people running them into the rev limiter or close to it after the power drops off. All I was suggesting is that it appears that his car isnt running to its full potential for the mods he has. Do you know what his 60', 1/4, and trap speeds are?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:27 PM
whitebwoy

evo's are fast, and they can get very f-ing fast with mods.
but if it weren't for the launch, they'd be roasted more than half the time.
I used to race a DC5-type R with bolt-ons.
When I got to street race with these 'big bad' evo's with a roll start they would have nothing over me.
I won't lie, sometimes I may lose, but not by much. It was more or less 50/50 depending on the mods they had. STOCK Evo? NOt a chance. slow as hell. all it's got is a launch. GIve him 3 races with a lauch and his clutch will be burnt to ****, or he'll break something.
People always say 'power is power'. So the fact that i took a natural hp car with 2/3's the power and woop'd their boosted a$$ shouldnt count. LOL. Yea right!

If I had to have a an evo, it'd have to have more than 500whp. anything less, and it's only goin to embaress you.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
ssteve

Originally Posted by whitebwoy
If I had to have a an evo, it'd have to have more than 500whp. anything less, and it's only goin to embaress you.
If I was to buy or build a drag car, you are correct. I could be wrong but I seriously doupt your dc5-type r could handle like a evo without extensive mods. If I am wrong then thats cool man Im happy for you, it sounds like you have or had one hell of a car. But I did not buy the evo for a drag only car. I would have to disagree with you in saying that they arent **** without a launch. My car does fine from a roll. So far the only things I have raced from a roll have been at about 15-45mph. I walked a new mustang GT fairly bad, a 01 WS6 TA, and my friends 94 tt supra that runs mid 13's. Granted my car isnt stock but the only thing it has is TBE and a program. I test drove a few evo's before I purchased mine and Mine does feel a bit stronger then the others with =mods but I really have no way to tell. Also most evo owners/ and turbo car owners at that, dont know how to drive their car very well at all. Brake boosting goes a long way in a evo if your racing from a roll.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:04 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Like fusionchicken said, it's pointless to try and educate anyone about Evo's since half the people here are Z fanboys and are oblivious to the performance of other cars on the road, so they come with corny "insults" about certain cars that they just can't beat. Congrats on your purchase, and feel free to PM me any questions you have about your new Evo.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
hidehide

Originally Posted by whitebwoy
evo's are fast, and they can get very f-ing fast with mods.
but if it weren't for the launch, they'd be roasted more than half the time.
I used to race a DC5-type R with bolt-ons.
When I got to street race with these 'big bad' evo's with a roll start they would have nothing over me.
I won't lie, sometimes I may lose, but not by much. It was more or less 50/50 depending on the mods they had. STOCK Evo? NOt a chance. slow as hell. all it's got is a launch. GIve him 3 races with a lauch and his clutch will be burnt to ****, or he'll break something.
People always say 'power is power'. So the fact that i took a natural hp car with 2/3's the power and woop'd their boosted a$$ shouldnt count. LOL. Yea right!

EVO is designed not for drag racing.. try to bring it up canyon and see how it handles on cornering.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Like fusionchicken said, it's pointless to try and educate anyone about Evo's since half the people here are Z fanboys and are oblivious to the performance of other cars on the road, so they come with corny "insults" about certain cars that they just can't beat. Congrats on your purchase, and feel free to PM me any questions you have about your new Evo.
I agree. Most of these people don't know crap about evo's.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i knew it was a matter of time before the EVO trolls come out
Old 01-15-2007, 01:14 PM
ssteve

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc

Thanks man, and honestly I dont mind the haters at all. I purchased my car for me, and I love it. Considering the compliments I get on it, its obvious that others due to. I love the 350z and would love to own one so I can see where some of the die hards are comming from, but honestly guys if you havent driven a evo you really owe it to your self to due so. When I was looking for a car and asking oppinions I found plenty of people on both sides of the fence. In my area anyways, 350z's are a dime a dozen and more obundant than honda civics, so I got to talk to a few people that own them and see what they thought. Also I posted roughly the same question on multiple other boards and got the least amount of haters on this board. Every other forum, the people ripped the Z a new a-hole, but thats going to be the case with any two cars you compare and ask the other side what they think.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 PM
ssteve

Originally Posted by Z04
i knew it was a matter of time before the EVO trolls come out
I dont exactly think they are trolling but thats just my opinion. You could also look at it like this.... They are defending a great performing car for what it is. I realize that its a car that appeals to a small amount of people but the fact is that it does perform very well, and some of the points (not all) being stated here seem like they are coming from people that dont know what they are talking about.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:31 PM
md350

Why be a fanboy of either? They are both fast and you can put money into both of them to make them faster.

To each his own. However I'd rather have girls staring at me when driving than teenage boys.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:40 PM
ssteve

Originally Posted by md350
Why be a fanboy of either? They are both fast and you can put money into both of them to make them faster.

To each his own. However I'd rather have girls staring at me when driving than teenage boys.
Maybe you should sack up and buy the g35 then. Thats all I heard from girls when I was looking at the 350.... " Isnt it just the poor mans G35?"
Old 01-15-2007, 02:15 PM
6society

Originally Posted by md350
OMG, Evodorks SFOwned.

Quick Reply: 350z vs evo 8